Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Terasec
Member
 
Terasec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 129
cross country ski info?

I was always interested in getting into cross country skiing. I just came across these old skiis (for free) and now looking for boots to match . Is anyone familiar with what type of boots i should be looking for?
I can see the blue skiis use nnn bindings
but whatabout the wooden skiis?
is that a 3 pin binding?
is the binding missing the heel strap I sometimes see?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ski1.jpeg (94.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpeg ski2.jpeg (86.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpeg ski3.jpeg (128.1 KB, 131 views)
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
TCD
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,678
Yes, that's a 3 pin toe piece.

3 pin bindings can be (and usually are) a standalone toe binding; no heel strap involved. Of course there are also 3 pin bindings with heel straps or cables.

To use a standalone 3 pin binding, you need 3 pin boots, with the "duckbill" toe and the 3 pinholes to match the pins. The stiffness of the boot sole determines how much resistance there is to heel lift. So if you are looking for an easy heel lift for flat track skiing, you would want a soft-soled 3 pin boot. If you are looking for more resistance to provide more control, let's say in the backcountry, you would want a stiff-soled 3 pin boot.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Terasec
Member
 
Terasec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Yes, that's a 3 pin toe piece.

3 pin bindings can be (and usually are) a standalone toe binding; no heel strap involved. Of course there are also 3 pin bindings with heel straps or cables.

To use a standalone 3 pin binding, you need 3 pin boots, with the "duckbill" toe and the 3 pinholes to match the pins. The stiffness of the boot sole determines how much resistance there is to heel lift. So if you are looking for an easy heel lift for flat track skiing, you would want a soft-soled 3 pin boot. If you are looking for more resistance to provide more control, let's say in the backcountry, you would want a stiff-soled 3 pin boot.
Thank you for that
points me in the right direction
my ultimate goal is to use it in backcountry, as that's where most of my outings are.
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
MaximusFunk24
Member
 
MaximusFunk24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 122
Do the wooden skis have a plastic looking base or is it wood with black pine tar on it? If its pine tar, those skis will be a lot more work to maintain and you may want to start out on the blue ones. Hope you have fun!

Also, the "baskets" have broken off the bottom of your poles, which might lead to an unpleasant ski experience if you are going in snow that isnt already packed down. I have rigged up some makeshift ones with a bent coat hanger and some zip ties that lasted for a few trips.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
yardsale
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Burlington
Posts: 102
Mount those wooden lovelies over your fireplace and ski the blue ones! Also suggest you go out with a more experienced skier who can teach you about the support. It will increase the fun quotient your first season.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
Terasec
Member
 
Terasec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusFunk24 View Post
Do the wooden skis have a plastic looking base or is it wood with black pine tar on it? If its pine tar, those skis will be a lot more work to maintain and you may want to start out on the blue ones. Hope you have fun!

Also, the "baskets" have broken off the bottom of your poles, which might lead to an unpleasant ski experience if you are going in snow that isnt already packed down. I have rigged up some makeshift ones with a bent coat hanger and some zip ties that lasted for a few trips.

wooden skis do have what appears to be pine tar base,
I saw online whats involved in redoing pine tar base, as long as I can buy pine tar, I don't mind the work, I have made pine tar myself, in small batches, but just gathering that much pine is a pain, and messy.
probably a project for next season, wont get it done in time this year
the blue skis would be more practical but the wooden skis have my attention and would really like to keep them in use, and not just as display piece
as for the baskets, I have downhill ski equipment, so have extra poles/baskets around
to start I would take it easy, using existing trails, short distances etc.
but would like to use it on my land in upstate NY, have 50 acres that borders state land with an abandoned railroad that's a winter time snowmobile trail.
will eventually start using that trail with the xc skis
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
MaximusFunk24
Member
 
MaximusFunk24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 122
Cool, glad you are interested in keeping the wooden skis in use. I have a pair that I use a couple times a season, but avoid rocky terrain. An old rail bed would be perfect for them. You can order pine tar online or you may find it locally at an equestrian shop because they use it on horse hooves.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Terasec
Member
 
Terasec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 129
additional questions
can I buy just about any nnn boot or 3 pin boot?
for 3 pin boots I see some with a short bill some with a long bill,
best timeframe I can place on the wooden skis is early to mid 70's based on those binding
I tried asking few ski shops around here but they are mostly downhill shops with very limited details on cross country skiing, they all are trying to sell me a new set, complete package telling me I cant buy boots for those skis
nnn skis being more recent I will probably start with getting boots for those as I look into redoing the wooden skis

appreciate any help
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
MaximusFunk24
Member
 
MaximusFunk24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 122
where are you located and what size boot do you need? If you are anywhere near Saranac Lake, Dewey Mt is having their ski swap saturday morning. With the NNN bindings, make sure you dont get NNN-BC boots which look similar but have a larger bar.

For the 3 pin: duckbill length shouldnt make any difference, but the thickness might. Do those bindings have multiple notches to allow for different thicknesses? Some only have 1 or 2 notches and wont fit the fat bills that more modern boots have. Also, that heel plate is meant for the older boots that have a heel groove for it to go into and would probably be annoying with newer boots. I bet you could just trim it down with a knife.

Are the Edsbyn skis waxless? If so, you will also want to buy some maxiglide or swix easy glide if you didnt already know.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
Terasec
Member
 
Terasec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusFunk24 View Post
where are you located and what size boot do you need? If you are anywhere near Saranac Lake, Dewey Mt is having their ski swap saturday morning. With the NNN bindings, make sure you dont get NNN-BC boots which look similar but have a larger bar.

For the 3 pin: duckbill length shouldnt make any difference, but the thickness might. Do those bindings have multiple notches to allow for different thicknesses? Some only have 1 or 2 notches and wont fit the fat bills that more modern boots have. Also, that heel plate is meant for the older boots that have a heel groove for it to go into and would probably be annoying with newer boots. I bet you could just trim it down with a knife.

Are the Edsbyn skis waxless? If so, you will also want to buy some maxiglide or swix easy glide if you didnt already know.

I am a 9 1/2 shoe i believe thats 44 eu size
Nnn bindings are marked nnn
No indication of bc
Do nnn bc bindings have a bc marking?
The 3 pin binding has a wire bail that attaches to what looks like 3 notches in the lever

Unfortunately am not near saranc lake, am from nyc with land in nw adirondacks
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #11
Wldrns
Member
 
Wldrns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western Adirondacks
Posts: 3,816
On your way to your NW ADK land, take a side trip to Mountainman Outdoors in Old Forge (actually in Thendara). Mike will fix you up with what you need for your skis. NNN and NNN-BC are not interchangeable, you need to know which you have. Fortunately it is not difficult to remove and replace bindings.
__________________
"Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #12
MaximusFunk24
Member
 
MaximusFunk24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 122
You definitely dont have BC bindings. This picture will help you tell the boots apart:

http://www.omerandbobs.com/wp-conten...9714550157.jpg

If you are looking for cheap used boots, you can try Play-it-Again Sports if you are passing by one of their locations throughout NY.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
Terasec
Member
 
Terasec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusFunk24 View Post
You definitely dont have BC bindings. This picture will help you tell the boots apart:

http://www.omerandbobs.com/wp-conten...9714550157.jpg

If you are looking for cheap used boots, you can try Play-it-Again Sports if you are passing by one of their locations throughout NY.
never heard of play it again sports
see theres a couple locations nearby
will be stopping in to check them out
Thank you
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.