Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
EagleCrag

Question Pump for Float Tube

I am trying to lighten my load and save some space when backpacking with my float tube. My current pump is a large volume dual action pump that fills the float tube quickly but is pretty large and fairly heavy. I'm looking for one that:
1. Is lighter weight
2. Doesn't take up as much space in my pack and
3. Pumps up the float tube in a reasonable time.

After checking multiple websites, Campmor seems to have the biggest selection by far. I'm considering the following pump, any comments/recommendations:
http://www.campmor.com/Product___79284
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Gman

I think Glen uses a foot pump or was it V, I forget I asked so many questions. I have an electric. I pumped my tube up and strapped it on like a back pack. But my hike was like a walk in a city park. If you have one of those nervous twitches like some people who are always tapping there feet you could fill your tube PDQ with that thing.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Glen
Check please

I use the pump that was furnished with my Trinity Tube. It's similar to this:

http://www.campmor.com/Product___31361?cm_vc=PDPZ1

Very light and is dual action. (not sure of weight on this one) I get around the bulk by using the stretch cords on the outside of my Osprey pack to hold it.

I bought a backup high end pump but it's heavy and I've yet to use it. I think it's called a K-Pump.

Ok, this wouldn't be a Glen post without some humor. Last year, on our spring trip I believe, Vtflyfish was bragging about this new bulletproof pvc pump he bought. It was big and heavy but he said it would never break in the field. You guessed it, first pond we hit he unpacks everything, starts pumping and the thing came apart. Good thing I had a change of underwear.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

That's the big, gray monstrosity in the upper left corner of the page. Don't buy it for the reason Glen stated. Internally it's garbage. I managed to fix it but my ego is still in the healing phase.

Get the red one but be wary of the foot tabs. They break easily. Luckily, nothing else does and they've been reliable pumps.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
aft paddle

EagleCrag I tried a foot pump like the one in your post to inflate a twin sized air mattress and hated it. It was awkward to keep my foot centered on it and it seemed to want to slide all over the place. I had the most success squeezing it with my hands.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #6
randomscooter
Native Earthling

I'll throw in with Glen and VT's recommendation. That pump is very fast and very light. The foot tabs do indeed seem to be fagile, but I've not broken mine yet. And even if they do break off it's easy enough to use the pump with two hands rather than a hand and a foot.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
EagleCrag

Thanks for the input folks. Looks like the red one it is.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
serotonin
ember

Have you guys had problems with the hose disconnecting on the red one?
How much does it weigh?

I picked this one up at walmart: http://price.salespider.com/cpidw-36...rail-hand-pump

It's similar in size to the red Intex (bulky but not a problem when strapped to a pack), weighs about 1.5 lbs (not ideal) but pumps up two 8-foot pontoons in two minutes. Pumps up a float tube in less than that. The hose has never come loose, and I doubt that it ever will. I'm rather surprised that I'm happy with this thing.

I was hoping that someone had a good review for the one Eaglecrag originally mentioned. I like that it lays flat when not in use and the weight is better than the Ozark. Doubt that it has the air capacity and speed of the Ozark, but that's a trade-off I might be willing to make.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #9
gmorin71

sero thats the same one i have and i love it. the fittings fit perfectly and even though it is bulky. there are ways you can strap it to the pack so that it doesnt even matter. i have the type of pack where everything drops straight in and a flap comes over the top, so i just cinch it in with the flap and click the buckles and im good to go.
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Have you guys had problems with the hose disconnecting on the red one?
How much does it weigh?
I don't have a problem with the hose disconnecting from the pump, but occasionally the fitting disconnects from the other end. Usually only when the pressure is high enough that I wouldn't blow the tube up any more anyhow.

I just weighed my pump on my fish scale... 1 lb. Pathetically, that's the toughest workout my fish scale has had in awhile.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
I'll throw in with Glen and VT's recommendation. That pump is very fast and very light. The foot tabs do indeed seem to be fagile, but I've not broken mine yet. And even if they do break off it's easy enough to use the pump with two hands rather than a hand and a foot.
I've considered gluing a single piece of rigid plastic across the bottom of the foot tabs. That would help a lot. But I'll probably wait until I break it first.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
desmobob

I use the one that Glen linked in his post. I've had it for a long time and it's been bulletproof.

My big Outcast FishCat won't fit in my Subie unless I let a lot of air out of it. The little red pump takes a bit too long to re-inflate it, so i bought a much larger version at Wal-Mart to keep in the car. The little red one always rides along in the back-of-the-seat pocket in the FishCat, just in case.

Take it easy,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #13
aft paddle

Whoa!! UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
EagleCrag I tried a foot pump like the one in your post to inflate a twin sized air mattress and hated it. It was awkward to keep my foot centered on it and it seemed to want to slide all over the place. I had the most success squeezing it with my hands.
Apparently there are different levels of quality on this style of foot pump. I had the one with the same pattern as in the link that I panned. I just picked up one at a flea market that puts it to shame. Heavier duty all around (only slightly more weight) impressive operation and volume. No company name..has raised heel pattern on surface..small 1" logo of a sailboat in a square.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote