Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #101
OneStepAtATime

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
Awesome, I've all but given up this year. Glad to see someone getting it done!
I went into the woods that morning wondering why I was even going to bother trying. I would've been happy to see some good sign, but he came barreling after a doe right before 8AM. If you're like me, you spend all year looking forward to hunting season so get out there every chance you can! Good luck.
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #102
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAtATime View Post
I went into the woods that morning wondering why I was even going to bother trying. I would've been happy to see some good sign, but he came barreling after a doe right before 8AM. If you're like me, you spend all year looking forward to hunting season so get out there every chance you can! Good luck.
Yep, all can change in one minute...so hunt till you can't.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #103
Woodly

Quote:
Got my first ADK buck (second deer ever) on 11/29/19 on public land in 5H.

https://imgur.com/KAkqTcW
https://imgur.com/r9vOYUk
https://imgur.com/tQJoQx1
What did you get him with?
Nice buck...congratulations
Old 12-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #104
OneStepAtATime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
What did you get him with?
Nice buck...congratulations
Much appreciated. I have a Ruger American .30-06. He was broadside at about 35 yards. Still canít believe my luck.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #105
Woodly

We often make our own luck.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #106
Buckladd

Quote:
Got my first ADK buck (second deer ever) on 11/29/19 on public land in 5H.

https://imgur.com/KAkqTcW
https://imgur.com/r9vOYUk
https://imgur.com/tQJoQx1
That's great, good for you! Nothing like an Adirondack buck!
Old 12-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #107
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Congratulations on a great ADK buck!
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #108
OneStepAtATime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
That's great, good for you! Nothing like an Adirondack buck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
Congratulations on a great ADK buck!
Thanks guys!
Old 12-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #109
RipVanWinkle

My first season really hunting was this year and I got out twice.
First hunt was a guided hunt in the 5 Ponds where we covered probably close to 40 miles in 3 days and saw only about 4 sets of tracks the whole time.
My 2nd time out was this past Saturday in the Black River Wild Forest where I definitely saw more tracks but I could not catch up to anything.

It's tough going out there, it almost feels futile at times especially when time is as limited as mine. I give you guys a lot of credit for having any success out there.

But I'll take the grind of covering miles and miles up here and seeing nothing than sitting in a stand.

If anyone recommends a guide that works in the SW ADK please let me know, I may plan on hiring one again next year- otherwise I'm out there trying to teach myself which isnt easy.

Good luck to everyone.
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #110
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle View Post

If anyone recommends a guide that works in the SW ADK please let me know, I may plan on hiring one again next year- otherwise I'm out there trying to teach myself which isnt easy.

Good luck to everyone.
I highly recommend Scott Locorini from that area:
https://www.nysoga.org/directors.html

Meanwhile, don't get frustrated. This past weekend was tough and very noisy.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #111
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle View Post
My first season really hunting was this year and I got out twice.
First hunt was a guided hunt in the 5 Ponds where we covered probably close to 40 miles in 3 days and saw only about 4 sets of tracks the whole time.
My 2nd time out was this past Saturday in the Black River Wild Forest where I definitely saw more tracks but I could not catch up to anything.

It's tough going out there, it almost feels futile at times especially when time is as limited as mine. I give you guys a lot of credit for having any success out there.

But I'll take the grind of covering miles and miles up here and seeing nothing than sitting in a stand.

Good luck to everyone.
Experience is time spent doing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #112
Tug Hill

Tracked and killed a 12 pt’er on Tug Hill yesterday. Main frame 10 with split brow tines, and believe it or not while dragging him out, ( took 3 hours, cardio vascular workout ) jumped a black bear out of his makeshift den. If I would not have been huffing and puffing , and paying attention might have seen him.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #113
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
Tracked and killed a 12 ptíer on Tug Hill yesterday. Main frame 10 with split brow tines, and believe it or not while dragging him out, ( took 3 hours, cardio vascular workout ) jumped a black bear out of his makeshift den. If I would not have been huffing and puffing , and paying attention might have seen him.
How much snow up there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #114
Buckladd

Quote:
Tracked and killed a 12 ptíer on Tug Hill yesterday. Main frame 10 with split brow tines, and believe it or not while dragging him out, ( took 3 hours, cardio vascular workout ) jumped a black bear out of his makeshift den. If I would not have been huffing and puffing , and paying attention might have seen him.
Way to go Tug, would love to see some photos!
Old 12-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #115
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Way to go Tug, would love to see some photos!
Definitely...and read more story.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #116
Buckladd

I was satisfied to tie my tag to this northern Warren County buck over the Thanksgiving weekend....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5ptapproach.jpg (127.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #117
Tug Hill

Thanks everyone, congrats to you Buckladd. I would post pics but am electronically challenged.

I picked up a buck track around 9AM on my property. A buck harassing a doe and fawn. It didn’t seem to be a very big buck, but they were the freshest tracks I could find that morning. After following the tracks for about 3/4 of a mile , (using the ADK Trackers method,) I noticed the 3 deer starting to zig zag , so it looked to me that they were looking to bed down. I then slowed to almost crawl speed, take a step look and stand motionless for a minute or so. I was now in about a 8 year old timber harvest on easement land, briers , beech and birch whips , thick as hell. After about 10 minutes in crawl mode, I glanced hard to my right, and saw a deer about 50 yds. to my right walking parallel with me.
The deer had not seen me, I looked at it through my scope, immediately saw a rack. I could just make out the body of the deer through the dense hardwood regeneration.

I decided I needed to take the shot or not see him again. So I tried to thread the needle. I fired and he disappeared. I thought he went down. I took about 3 steps forward and had a better look and shooting lane, and saw him just standing there. I racked another cartridge in the chamber, he turned but did not run and just started to walk straight away from me. I got him in the scope again and fired a second shot. This time he did disappear. I walked to where I last saw him, there was much hair and blood, and he laid dead about 30 feet away.
My first shot never reached him through the dense underbrush, why he did not run ,I don’t know. Main frame 10 with split brow tines.

Then after celebrating taking pictures , I started a small fire, field dressed him, warmed up, I started the arduous task of dragging him out. After dragging him about 250 yds., I crossed a small brook, and saw a snow covered bear track. I thought it must have been last nights or early morning track. I look ahead about 100 feet and saw a windfelled tree stump and fresh dirt thrown all around on top of the snow. I quickly loaded my rifle and walked towards the stump, but the bear had already heard or seen me and had took of running.

Would have been one for the books had I shot the bear while dragging a deer.

Thanks for reading.
Tug
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #118
Woodly

Tug, nice story, thanks, and great job at tracking.

Buckladd, Congratulations.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #119
Buckladd

My story is not as adventurous as Tug’s but it is one of a typical Adirondack deer drive. I was off all last week on vacation and we got a couple of nice bucks early on. Four out of five times I’m a driver, not a watcher, but I spent the night in camp alone and met the watchers not far from there. The road is still a mess from the Halloween storm and is impassible now with the fresh snowfall.

Anyway, I went out with the watchers. There were four of us and I took the furthest watch. We’d already killed three bucks on this hill this year and I wondered out-loud to one of the guys about a fourth. When I got to the watch, where I also killed a buck a few years ago, I began thinking that if there was another buck on this hill he might come to me. The wind was right and seldom do we kill more than one buck on the same watch in a given season. I liked the odds.

About half-way through the drive two does came around a shelf towards me. Despite it being open hemlocks, it’s not as easy to see running deer as you might think. You get glimpses of them, or parts of them, between the big trees and humps. The does ran up the hill in front of me and I could see and/or hear them for the next 20 minutes. I figured they’d get pushed back my way when the drive came through, which is exactly what happened.

They burst back over hill running hard. Watching them, I caught a flash of a third deer coming on from their right (my left) and it had antlers. Any experienced hunter knows that instincts take over in this situation. He was moving pretty good at about 50 yards and I got two quick pecks at him, broadside. One connected. I didn’t see him go down, just over a hump. I did see the does continue on but not him, so I rushed towards where I last saw him. He was trying to get on his feet, so I gave him another one from my little Winchester Trapper .30-30, which has a peep sight. That was it. The sun came out just in time for field dressing and a mile-long drag with plenty of help.

My message is to hunt hard until the end. Your season can change in just a few short seconds at any time. But you have to be out there to make it happen. This is not the first time I’ve killed a buck towards the end of the season and I hope it’s not the last.

Awesome, awesome buck, Tug!
Old 12-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #120
OneStepAtATime

Quote:
After following the tracks for about 3/4 of a mile , (using the ADK Trackers method,) I noticed the 3 deer starting to zig zag , so it looked to me that they were looking to bed down.
Tug
Would love to hear more about the ADK Trackers method. Where can I read up on that?

Awesome story.