Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
kurtteej
New to ***** (not t'foot)

Avalanche Pass

That was pretty tough to do with a pack. I had about 25 or 30 pounds on my back so some of it was a tough go. It was definitely worth it though, the Pass itself was really interesting and surprising to me. I really didnt do much [any] research on the hike but went ahead anyway. Really nice walk. I camped at the other end of Lake Colden and headed up towards Marcy Friday morning.

The only startling thing was the 2 guys in a site about 2 football fields away were banging away at pots and yelling at about 9:30 or so. I spent the next hour peering out of my tent looking for the black bear that never came.

KurtTeej
Old 09-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
kurtteej
New to ***** (not t'foot)

PS - I'm going to post a couple of pictures that came out well later tonight after I finish up a little code change. I got a really nice pic at the Dam and another one when I broke in by Avalanche Lake [very nice contrast on that one].

KT
Old 09-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
RonandJon

Try it in the winter..

It's really spectacular then. You can ski right down the middle of the lake and look at both sides, getting views you just don't get in the other seasons. Actually, I skied to the base of the Misery Mile, snow shoed up and down the hill, then skiied across the lake and back. Chili Willie skied the whole thing, but he is a lot better on skis than me.
RonandJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
PhishinSince83

I love Avalanche Pass, i was just there on sunday for a nice rainy day walk. for some reason it is booked as the most beautiful hike in the ADK Park. I think that statement is just insane. There are so many beautiful hikes that are just as unique as Avalanche Pass. I just dont understand why its characterized the most spectacular hike in the ADKs.

But on a sunny day, after a nice rainfall, the sun reflects beautifully on Colden's rocky summit. Definitaly my favorite aspect of this hike.

i have never done it in the winter, however.
PhishinSince83 is offline   Reply With Quote