Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
MattC

Cliff/Redfield Advice?

I'm looking for suggestions on doing these two as a dayhike. The options would be as follows:

Option 1) Take the Opalescent River Trail from Upper Works to the Twin Brooks leanto site, then take the old trail/herd path to the Cliff slide, summit Cliff, descend on the herd path, do an in-and-out on the Redfield herd path, then back to Upper Works the way we came

Option 2) Take the Calamity Brook Trail past Flowed Lands to the Uphill Brook leanto, in-and-out on herd paths to both summits, back to Upper Works the way we came

Option 3) Combine the two for a loop, w/ a car spotted at the Calamity Brook Trailhead, use the option 1 approach so as to be able to climb the Cliff slide, but go back around Flowed Lands on the Calamity Brook Trail

Option 4) Use the Hanging Spear Falls section of the Opalescent River Trail as part of a loop, w/ the approach from either option 1 or 2. The least likely option

I have been studying a bit w/ the ADK guide, the McMartin guide and Adirondack Journey, but even w/ all three can't figure exact mileages for any of these routes. I do know that it's 7.5 miles to the Uphill Brook leanto from Upper Works, probably about the same to the Cliff Slide. I imagine this is a 20 mile hike any way you slice it up.

Any ideas?

Matt
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
AntlerPerak

Matt Option 1 is most likely out as the old trail from the Twin Brook Lean-to site is abandoned. There is close to a mile of private property to be crossed on this route and likely posted. In addition to being a trespass the old trail rivaled the Bradley Pond Trail in ugly. So I would suggest you toss that one out. So that sort of tosses out Option 3 as well. Option 4 would add miles as the route to UW is longer from Flowed Lands through Hanging Spear plus you are adding the road walk between parking lots.

In my opinion the best bet you offer here is Option 2 in and out. Yes it is twenty miles to do one of the two, if you do both you will be close to twenty five miles perhaps a bit short of that. Without digging out the maps it seems it is at least two miles up each herd path perhaps a bit longer so 22-24 is a good estimate to do both.

As I recall it may be shorter to get to Uphill from the Loj via the infamous Lake Arnold Route. The question is in evaluating that extra three hundred feet climbing back to Lake Arnold on your way out. It seems it was like 6.5 to Uphill that way check it out. Good luck
AntlerPerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
Dick
somewhere out there...

Matt,

Without a map in front of me, I would say that your "Option 2" is it. I think the old TB trail is no longer. Total mileage for your hike will probably be as you say. I know others have done them both in a day, but unless you're a jackrabbit, I would strongly suggest either two separate dayhikes (how we did it), or camp at Uphill Brook LT. For good directions on the start of the herdpath (almost the same for both mountains), check out reports on VFTT, and Mavs00's site (ADKhighpeaks.com).

Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC
I'm looking for suggestions on doing these two as a dayhike. The options would be as follows:

Option 1) Take the Opalescent River Trail from Upper Works to the Twin Brooks leanto site, then take the old trail/herd path to the Cliff slide, summit Cliff, descend on the herd path, do an in-and-out on the Redfield herd path, then back to Upper Works the way we came

Option 2) Take the Calamity Brook Trail past Flowed Lands to the Uphill Brook leanto, in-and-out on herd paths to both summits, back to Upper Works the way we came

Option 3) Combine the two for a loop, w/ a car spotted at the Calamity Brook Trailhead, use the option 1 approach so as to be able to climb the Cliff slide, but go back around Flowed Lands on the Calamity Brook Trail

Option 4) Use the Hanging Spear Falls section of the Opalescent River Trail as part of a loop, w/ the approach from either option 1 or 2. The least likely option

I have been studying a bit w/ the ADK guide, the McMartin guide and Adirondack Journey, but even w/ all three can't figure exact mileages for any of these routes. I do know that it's 7.5 miles to the Uphill Brook leanto from Upper Works, probably about the same to the Cliff Slide. I imagine this is a 20 mile hike any way you slice it up.

Any ideas?

Matt
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
MattC

Thanks guys. I got similar responses over at VFTT, and it looks like Calamity Brook is the way to go. I didn't realize that the Twin Brooks herd path would be over posted land.

Matt
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
AntlerPerak

matt I posted a few ideas on the slide over ther on VTFF for you
Old 08-14-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
adirondacker

Cliff/Redfield

Matt,
Our groups did Cliff/Redfield via Calamity Brook on 8-13 and 8-16. We did Redfield and then Cliff. Redfield to us was a great trip- Cliff is a stinker but does have some nice views as does Redfield. Following is a General time schedule that both trips seemed to have followed.

TH to Uphill Lean-to- 3- 3:15
Cliff- 1:15 up
1:00 down

Redfield- 1:20 up
1:05 down

Uphill Lean-to to TH- 3- 3:15

Times do not include summit time and lunch break.
I know my group spent a good 30min on the brook eating because it was so nice out.

Can be done in a day hike- just is tiresome, and I think that it was not that bad because at this point in the season we are in fairly good hiking shape.
adirondacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #7
AntlerPerak

I was just looking at the Cliff Mt page on Joel's great site and remembered this thread. The discussion about the old "yellow" marked Twin Brook Trail came rushing back. Joel has some great information on Cliff as well as all the other peaks. The pictures speak a thousand words. But pic number three on the page linked below looks very much like that old "yellow" trail at one of its drier spots. This is the new Cliff herd path below the cliff Redfield col and I suspect this is actually a short portion of the good old "yellow" trail. If so, coupled with all that blow down more than suggest trying to follow it via trespass would be a fools errand. Take a look at the pic #3 toward the bottom of the page. #2 is likely the same old trail.
http://www.adirondackjourney.com/Cliff.htm