Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #21
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsullivan135
Last July I hiked Pharaoh (first peak ever) and would like to go over 3600' this June. Any suggestions on less crowded high peaks with views? My camera is my closest hiking partner and I'd love to give it more altitude. Obviously a beginner but in pretty good physical shape, 19 year old male, hiking with 20 year old female in much better shape than I. (I run 15 miles per week, she is well over 30).
The further south the better, as we will be spending 3-4 days in the ADKS and then heading over to the Rochester area.
Thank you much.
G
Try Snowy Mountain in the central adks. Not the high peaks but certainly no slouch .

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=1841

Could also try Mt Adams in the lower high peaks area. It's still on my to-do list.

http://www.bettercamper.com/show/mou...untain_id/3069
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:58 PM   #22
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Try Snowy Mountain in the central adks. Not the high peaks but certainly no slouch .

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=1841

Could also try Mt Adams in the lower high peaks area. It's still on my to-do list.

http://www.bettercamper.com/show/mou...untain_id/3069
Misses being a "high peak" only by about 100 feet.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:39 AM   #23
oswemuk27

I don't think anyone mentioned Crane in this thread as a great hike for the inexperienced. One of the best "bang for your buck" climbs. Also not that far for those of us coming from the south. Great views and great variety with its pond, ladders, and loop route (and cave apparently - I'll have to go back!). Nowhere near high peak status of course but it really dominates the landscape of the Southwestern ADK's - I mean, you can see it from exit 23 in Warrensburg.

A recent trip report:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...ighlight=crane

Cave:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...+mountain+cave

JB
oswemuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:51 PM   #24
eghaley
46er #1441

I'll have to recommend Cascade as a short, rewarding climb, as others have done. Phelps was mentioned as an easy climb and it stirred my memory. Although I agree it is an easy climb, the first time I climbed it it was the most exhausing climb I had had up till that time.

We climbed Phelps, if my memory serves me, during the second week of February in 1977. It was that terribly cold couple of weeks when the schools were given a weeks vacation because of the "natural gas shortage." Too much energy was being used for heating homes, industry, schools, etc. At the same time, the U.S. Army conducted cold weather tactics in northern New York. That had been using Alaska but Alaska was too warm. So they came to New York State to do their exercises for 2 weeks. The troops lasted 3 days and began knocking on farmer's doors and asking if they could bivouac in the barn because of the cold weather.

Well, we gathered our group together and started climbing Phelps mid morning after walking in from the Hiker's Cabin. It was an easy walk for everyone since the top of the snowpack was a hard crust. Everyone but me, that is, who kept postholing with every other step up the mountain. The outside temp was -25F and going down but we were all dressed properly. I was venting like crazy to stop sweating. Anyhow, when I got to the top, my mustache was frozen together with my beard in one casing of ice. The rest of the group kept needling me to try to get me to laugh because when I did it would rip out hair from my face. The more they did it, the harder I laughed.

That night we spent the night at the Phelps leanto on the main trail to the high peaks. The temp dropped to -55F that night. I can't say we were toasty but we all crowded together to keep a bit warmer. The only casualy was one of the girls cut her finger while trying to cut a slice of cheese from inside her sleeping bag.

So I guess the easiness of a climb up any peak has a lot to do with other factors than just the elevation of the mountain. At least that's what I learned on this climb!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #25
mrbubbles
Double Runner

If they've never hiked, I recommend Mount Regis, a small/moderate hike near Paul Smith's/Lake Clear. It used to go through Camp Topridge when it was still owned by the heirs of Marjorie Merriwether Post, but since it changed hands it detours and it's all on state land. Still, a nice hike. It's a good view, because it's in the lakes region (with nice views of Lake Flower, Mirror Lake, Regis, Lake Clear and Little Clear) All that, and a dilapidated fire tower! Woohoo!
My family uses it as a sort of test hike. If people can make it up that, then we try for Ampersand or Cascade/Porter.
Then they're hooked.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:17 AM   #26
Kevin
**BANNED**

I added a little something to my photo journal site that will be of some use here:

http://www.the-boogiemen.com/hiking/peaks.htm

It's a views and difficulty ranking page.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:56 AM   #27
qam1

Giant from the Ridge trail

Is the best to take new people who don’t have a lot of experience climbing and/or who you are unsure of the shape they are in.

The simple reason is most other mountains you have to get to the top for the views and/or travel really far but with Giant this way you get the 1st big view at only 0.6 miles and there are many more awesome views/open spots before you reach the summit at 3.0 miles. So if they are unable or unwilling to make the top you will still have a good time. Most other mountains if you don’t make it to the summit you just see a bunch of woods which blows and it ends up being a wasted trip but with Giant even if you just make Washbowl the trip still ends up worthwhile.

Plus if they end up being really good and you get to the top really fast and you & they have the energy you can always go on to Rocky Peak Ridge.

Big Slide via the brothers is 2nd best in this regards of openness of the trail before the summit.

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
:
:
qam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #28
mtnhiker10
mtnhiker10

tt

Last edited by mtnhiker10; 09-07-2005 at 11:14 AM..
mtnhiker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:45 AM   #29
mtnhiker10
mtnhiker10

tt

Last edited by mtnhiker10; 09-07-2005 at 11:11 AM..
mtnhiker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #30
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

sorry

Last edited by adkdremn; 09-07-2005 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Moved to different section
adkdremn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #31
mtnhiker10
mtnhiker10

thank you adkdremn, sorry about all my messages being messed up. i tried moving my post to a new thread, and i really have no idea what i'mm doing. thank you for the info though