Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
Martin
Enjoying what's presented.

Mashall to Indian Pass

Hey Hiker friends Long time no post. I have a question or 2, and I know I can always rely on this group.

I'm going to do a 2 nights solo from sunday(18th) to tuesday(20th). I was thinking either climb the Sewards, but then thought it might not be the best place as a solo hike since that area may not be visited much during the week...just in case. I might decide to to set camp at Colden Lake and climb Grey-Skylight, then Marshall.

Question:

1- Are the Sewards visted at all during the week?

2- Is there a herd path from Marshal to Indian Pass? (I would be descending Marshall that way towards the Loj.)

Thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

I'm not too sure about the Sewards during the week this time of year, but I can answer your second question. There isn’t a direct path from Marshall to Indian Pass, but there is a herd path that leads to Cold Brook (Iroquois Pass) between Marshall and Iroquois. From there, you can follow the marked trail to the where it meets the Indian Pass Trail above Scott’s Clearing.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Martin

Zac, I just looked at my map, that would make more sense. I didn't even look at Iroquois pass at first glympse. I new I had read or heard about a herd path that way.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Something I forgot to mention. The herd path down into the pass is very narrow. I wouldn't recommend hiking it with a large pack, as it will get hung up in the spruce.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

Hey Martin! Good to see you're still working on the 46 and getting out for a hike.

When I was on Marshall this summer I was keeping an eye out for the herd path from cold brook (just beta for a possible future route). It's supposed to connect with the main herd path along Herbert Brook near the top. I think I may have found an intersection near a 90 degree turn in the main herd path. It's at about 3500 feet or so. I didn't take a waypoint as I wasn't thinking it would be valuable at the time. Marshall's one of my favorites so I'll just mark the entire route next time.

From what I saw it looked iffy at best. Not many hikers take that route from cold brook, so the herd path may be as Zac describes. Sounds like you'll be coming up the traditional herd path along HB and then down to cold brook. Good luck finding the route. Worse case is you hike out the way you came and go through Lake Colden and Avalanche Pass to the loj.

My first time up Marshall was on a nice Sunday and didn't see anyone until I was 10 minutes from the start of the herd path (heading down). They probably didn't make the summit during daylight that day. It gets a moderate amount of traffic, but mostly just aspiring 46ers. This time of the year still has a lot of peak baggers in the mountains so I'd bet you'll see someone that day, especially if you get an early enough start.

Tip : there's a nice designated camping area near where the trail up along Herbert Brook to Marshall starts. It's on the opposite side from the HB herd path about 20 feet up the trail (heading towards Lake Colden). If you look for it you won't miss it.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
Pete_Hickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
HWhen I was on Marshall this summer I was keeping an eye out for the herd path from cold brook (just beta for a possible future route). It's supposed to connect with the main herd path along Herbert Brook near the top.
That's old. At least 12 years ago. These days, the herd path comes out right on the summit. Pretty much directly opposite the one coming up Herbert Brook. It's in VERY good condition. There is only one widening cliff that is difficult to descend. As twith most of the, if you continue along the cliff, it gets lower. You'll descend, do across a flat section, then go up a lesser peak before heading toward the pass.
Pete_Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
Neil
Kayak-46

Martin,
The herd trail from Marshall to the height of land between I. and M. is in excellent shape. Between Marshall and the little sub-summit to the north there is an obvious great big boulder. Climb it and gaze towards Wallface. Also, be sure to scope those beautiful cliffs on the lower reaches of Iroquois.
How do you plan on getting to the top of Marshall?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:59 PM   #8
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hickey
That's old. At least 12 years ago. These days, the herd path comes out right on the summit. Pretty much directly opposite the one coming up Herbert Brook. It's in VERY good condition.
Guess I found the old trail!

Thanks for the updated info . Can't say I've done a lot of homework. Thanks to this thread it looks like I won't have to.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #9
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Martin,

How do you plan on getting to the top of Marshall?
With my 2 legs and Hiking poles. Come on Neil! haha.

I'll climb Marshall from the Flowed Land. I am planning on sleeping Sunday and Monday night in a lean-to in the Colden dam area. Monday I will hike Skylight and Grey.

I will be carrying my pack over Marshall on Tuesday as I'll be heading out. I also want a closer look of Wallface, which does not seem too far from the Iroqouis and Indian Pass intersection.

I'm really looking forward to this trip, I really need to get out of the city for a few days and mingle with nature. I hiked Marcy and Big Slide earlier this year on day hikes with my girlfriend, but this will be my first overnight this year. About time too!!

If anyone interested, you know my plans...

thanks for the info guys.
martin
Old 09-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #10
Pete_Hickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
I will be carrying my pack over Marshall
Then heed Lumberzac's warning. It is a narrow path. Try to have nothing lshed outside your pack, and keep straps tight. It's be murder with an external frame pack. Lots of branches to grab your pack.
Pete_Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #11
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hickey
Then heed Lumberzac's warning. It is a narrow path. Try to have nothing lshed outside your pack, and keep straps tight. It's be murder with an external frame pack. Lots of branches to grab your pack.
I have a 69L pack. I won't carry my tent, so I'll have enough room inside. Although it will be my first trip with a cannister.

I guess I'll just have to be patient descending that herd path. Thks.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:07 AM   #12
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Speaking of Cold Brook, I have an old trail guide that refers to the trail that runs between Lake Colden and Indian Pass via Cold Brook as "ALGONQUIN PASS". Is there an official name for this pass?

The cairn that marks the Marshall herd path from here is at the height of the pass. It's hard to miss.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:29 AM   #13
Gandalf

I think Algonquin Pass IS the official name, but it's also referred to (perhaps more commonly) as Iroquois Pass. The second name seems to make more sense to me.

Wherever I picked that up (McMartin maybe?), it was also referred to as Algonquin Impasse.

- from the movie Dr. Strangelove
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #14
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf
I think Algonquin Pass IS the official name, but it's also referred to (perhaps more commonly) as Iroquois Pass. The second name seems to make more sense to me.

Wherever I picked that up (McMartin maybe?), it was also referred to as Algonquin Impasse.
I'm not sure if there is an official name. I believe the trail is marked as the Cold Brook Pass trail on the Lake Colden/Flowed Lands side and marked as the Iroquois Pass Trail on the Indian Pass side. If you call it by any of the three names most people will know what you are talking about.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #15
Boreal Chickadee

I had always called it the Iroquois Pass but the DEC now wants it called the Cold Brook Pass.
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #16
Kevin
**BANNED**

I think we should call it Marshall Pass then...
Old 09-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #17
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

"I think we should call it Marshall Pass then... "

I'm with you!

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #18
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Maybe we should call it "Marshall, Iroquois, Algonquin, Cold Brook Pass" and force everyone to call it by its full name when referring to it.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #19
Martin

Could call it the McIntyre Pass too.