Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #21
calanan
SqB

Thanks

Thanks, I did see that, I was more so wondering which of the two paths would be preferable over the other, either for an ascent or a descent. And how are the conditions on each (blowdown?).

- mike
calanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #22
Gandalf

I hiked through Hunter's Pass about three weeks ago and I can't remember any blowdown...I think trailwork had recently been done there. The undergrowth is a little annoying in the vicinity of the tributary coming down from Nippletop (as in, it squeezes the trail narrowly in spots with a few thorns here and there), but it's nothing to worry about given long sleeves and/or a prudently measured pace. The route itself is never in doubt and you will find some striking cliffs to either side. The climb above the Pass is beautiful, offering some unique and interesting views to whet the appetite for what one will find at the summit.

I've never used the Beckhorn Trail (I continued on to Hough and South Dix that day), so I can't really compare the two. As it covers less distance it seems that it would have to be steeper, though, probably particularly so in the vicinity of the Beckhorn itself.

Hope you enjoy your hike!

- from the movie Dr. Strangelove
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:58 AM   #23
Boreal Chickadee

We climbed Dix by going up Hunter's Pass and down the Beckhorn. I agree with Gandalf, Hunter's Pass is beautiful. Going down the Beckhorn isn't any worse than a hundred other places on the trails. We had plenty of time at the summit doing this as a day hike so you'll be in great shape staying at the lean-to. It's a quick trip to the lean-to from the trailhead.

GAndalf- What trail did you take going down after South Dix?
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:04 AM   #24
Gandalf

After leaving South Dix my brother and I went up and over Macomb and then back out to Elk Lake. We thought about hiking over to East Dix too (he'd never been in the Range before; these were his 4th-7th High Peaks), but we were running low on water and anyway we both want to try the Great Slide approach sometime soon.

On the descent from Macomb, I didn't find that the path below the slide had been cleared of blowdown as I expected until we got below 2900' when suddenly every downed tree had been neatly removed or cut through. I'm guessing in hindsight that we stayed in the brook (nearly dry, that day) too long and missed the new path which perhaps (can anyone confirm or correct?) leaves the slide on the right near the bottom of the slide. It didn't seem to make sense that the path would've been painstakingly cleared until 2900', and then not touched above that (unless more trailwork is forthcoming?). At any rate, the cairns were all still in the streambed.

Gorgeous day though.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:20 AM   #25
Tabor

???

So stop keeping us newbies in suspense. Whatever happen with the name changes. Did they ever officially happen?
Tabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #26
five_head
FiveHead

The herd path up to the Macomb slide was easy to follow. It is almost always in or on the north side of the brook. Lots of cairns where the path is in the brook.

The beckhorn descent was in good shape. A few steep sections, but not bad at all. Virtually no blowdown. The trail near Lillian Brook was a bit muddy last weekend. It is probably a bit wetter now since the remnants of Katrina came through late in the week.
five_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #27
calanan
SqB

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_head
The herd path up to the Macomb slide was easy to follow. It is almost always in or on the north side of the brook. Lots of cairns where the path is in the brook.

The beckhorn descent was in good shape. A few steep sections, but not bad at all. Virtually no blowdown. The trail near Lillian Brook was a bit muddy last weekend. It is probably a bit wetter now since the remnants of Katrina came through late in the week.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #28
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_head
The trail near Lillian Brook was a bit muddy last weekend. It is probably a bit wetter now since the remnants of Katrina came through late in the week.
It's ALWAYS muddy for that mile or so stretch.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #29
Pete_Hickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
It's ALWAYS muddy for that mile or so stretch.
Only since Floyd. Before that, we had invested many thousands of hours of rock work, and pretty much eliminated all the mud. Floyd came along and ripped up much of the trail. It also changed drainage pattern, such that places that did not remain wet in the past, now do.

We fixed up a hundred feet or so of the trail in July this year. We should have it done by the time the next big storm comes around.

Blowdown: Blowdown sweeps of the Elk Lake approaches to Dix are done the first weekend in June. This year, the heat got to some of the workers, and there were a few trees left until early July. Normally, there is one sweep a year.
Pete_Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 AM   #30
calanan
SqB

Thanks to all who take care of the trails, I know my party will appreciate it this weekend.

Speaking of which, what's the best weather location to check for weather in the Dixes? Is using Keene or Elizabethtown sufficient or is there a station closer to the range?

- mike
Old 09-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #31
Kevin
**BANNED**

Usually I just tune in to the Lake Placid forecast, add some colder temps and a few 10% greater chance of precipitation when in the mountains. There are no reporting stations near the Dix range.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/Lake_Placid.html
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #32
calanan
SqB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Usually I just tune in to the Lake Placid forecast, add some colder temps and a few 10% greater chance of precipitation when in the mountains. There are no reporting stations near the Dix range.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/Lake_Placid.html
Appreciate the tip, looks like great weather for this weekend, nice crisp sleeping temps, too!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 AM   #33
Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hickey
We fixed up a hundred feet or so of the trail in July this year.
I'd never been on this trail before but I noticed at least one, perhaps a couple of what looked to be brand new bridges. Many thanks Pete (& crew)!

Old 09-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #34
calanan
SqB

Sorry, no time for a full trip report right now but the team (7 humans, 1 leashed canine) had a fantastic time, thanks again for all the tips.

We parked at Elk Lake (my group of three got a late start and hiked from 12:30 AM until about 2:30 AM, serenaded by loons along the way) and found the lean-to at Slide Brook unoccupied.

Using that as a base camp, the next morning we hiked to the Beckhorn trail, climbed up to the horn then over to Dix's peak, spending about 2 hours admiring the views, eating lunch and talking with the other summiters. (We met so many friendly people on this hike!)

The group then continued counterclockwise, following Hunter's Pass down (great views indeed!) and taking its longer trek back to the lean-to - total time on the trail this day was about 8.5 hours.

We packed out the next morning wishing we could stay just a little longer. Dang responsibilities.

Here are my photos, hope you enjoy.

http://www.pbase.com/calanan/adksep2005

- mike