Coyote close encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyote close encounter

Quite near the Pillsbury Mountain trailhead, quiet nature photography along the road was interrupted by this coyote emerging from the woods only 15 feet from me. What an experience! The photo is not sharp at all (I was probably shaking) but documents the encounter. Photo with a telephoto but not cropped at all. While I have coyotes in the suburban woods and yard at times, this was my closest encounter.

Awesome. I've had two encounters about that close with neither animal aware of me initially and only one picked up the scent of my trail and turned on its heels. I was also armed both times since I was hunting and I still got a nice rush of adrenaline both times. Love seeing predators.

Comment

Not much wolf in that one.
      Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
        Not much wolf in that one.
        Joking? Looks like a wolf to me!

Comment

No need to apologize for the image quality--it shows the details well enough
          "Days in the woods are days beyond time"--Paul Jamieson

Comment

Very nice pic!
            Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Very cool Grey-Jay!

Comment

Flash of the wild! Nice pic!
                "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

The photo looks plenty sharp to me! Nice picture.
                  - Kevin

Comment

Your surprise encounter reminded me of when my family and I were renting a lakefront home in Rangeley Maine. My daughter and I went out for a run towards the State Park Campgroungs on the South side on Rangeley Lake when a coyote ran out in front of us @ about 6 feet. We all stopped,me,my daughter and the coyote and just looked @ each other for a few seconds. When the coyote wrapped his brain around what happened he swapped ends for the woods. We both laughed and kept on going but my kid kept looking behind herself for the next 3 miles waiting for another one. Pretty exciting.

Comment

Working...
                    X