Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
jesst7
Jess

Thoughts on Gothics via Pyramid

I'm fairly new to the High Peaks area and recently hiked my 4th. The most challenging being Dix from route 73. I enjoyed the hike so much and now I want to hike Gothics with some friends. How does the hike from Gothics via Pyramid and Dix compare? Is one more challenging than the other?
I've done lots of research on the forums and was just curious of everyone's thoughts? Thanks
jesst7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesst7 View Post
I'm fairly new to the High Peaks area and recently hiked my 4th. The most challenging being Dix from route 73. I enjoyed the hike so much and now I want to hike Gothics with some friends. How does the hike from Gothics via Pyramid and Dix compare? Is one more challenging than the other?
I've done lots of research on the forums and was just curious of everyone's thoughts? Thanks
Dix from Route 73 is as steep as any of the trails get in the ADK's. Gothics via Pyramid is no harder.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
rdl

They're both steep and steady climbs to peaks with awesome views. If you could do Dix with no problems then you'll have no problems with Gothics via Pyramid.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
adkjack
Admin

IIRC it is 1,200 feet of ele gain from the Pyramid/ Sawteeth col and pretty steep. However no worse than the climb up Dix. The views from Pyramid make this route outstanding. Have fun and keep an eye on the weather. This route can be challenging with ice.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
jesst7
Jess

Thanks a lot for the info. We want to stay the night so we plan to set up camp on the way in and hike up Gothics via Pyramid and loop down through Beaver Meadow. I know the area around Ausable is private and no camping is allowed. Are there any other areas on the way in to setup camp?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
rdl

Across the street from the parking area, towards the base of roaring brook falls are some designated campsites. Otherwise there are sites along Gill Brook on the east side of the Ausable club road, but that takes you out of your way -- maybe not a big deal if you have the time and inclination though.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
jesst7
Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
Across the street from the parking area, towards the base of roaring brook falls are some designated campsites. Otherwise there are sites along Gill Brook on the east side of the Ausable club road, but that takes you out of your way -- maybe not a big deal if you have the time and inclination though.
Great, thank you so much! Looking forward to this hike.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Neil
Kayak-46

I did Gothics on Saturday with a group of nine of mixed abilities and experience level. In order to make the hike much more interesting for everybody (and a little bit longer) we started at the Garden and went up Ore Bed Brook and the "Cable Route" and descended over Pyramid and the Weld Trail. While being the most time efficient route up Gothics, the Lake Road/Weld Trail combination is, IMO, also the dullest with the exception of course of Pyramid Peak.

Total time for our group, including someone who wore brand new boots that pained him miserably, one full hour on the summit and a couple of bottlenecks on steep slippery passages above the cables, was just over 10 hours.

The only logistical exigency with this particular loop option is that you need two vehicles, you arrange for shuttle service or use a bike.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
jesst7
Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I did Gothics on Saturday with a group of nine of mixed abilities and experience level. In order to make the hike much more interesting for everybody (and a little bit longer) we started at the Garden and went up Ore Bed Brook and the "Cable Route" and descended over Pyramid and the Weld Trail. While being the most time efficient route up Gothics, the Lake Road/Weld Trail combination is, IMO, also the dullest with the exception of course of Pyramid Peak.
Thanks, we're open to other routes but we're trying to avoid the cable this trip. It's probably not bad, but maybe next time
Old 10-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
WiseFool
Backpacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
These campsites near Roaring Brook that you mention, I imagine that they fill up quickly? What would be the likelihood of finding an available camping spot early Saturday morning?
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
jesst7
Jess

It was an amazing day and an amazing hike.. Trip report here
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Neil
Kayak-46

On Saturday two of us stepped out onto Pyramid very briefly en route to Gothics around 2 or 3 pm. Maybe our paths crossed without us realizing it.

It was an amazing day, huh?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
jesst7
Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
On Saturday two of us stepped out onto Pyramid very briefly en route to Gothics around 2 or 3 pm. Maybe our paths crossed without us realizing it.

It was an amazing day, huh?
We reached Pyramid around 10:30am and there was just one other person there. Many more people on Gothics. Gorgeous day! A group of guys were there celebrating with a bottle of wine. So happy to see everyone in good spirits.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Fantastic! I might try to do a similar route next year, I loved Gothics when I did it this summer, but didnt get to do Sawteeth or Pyramid, so need to go back! I did it when I was a teen(sawteeth), but have no recollection of it.

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot

Last edited by Adirondackiteer; 11-02-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gothics, pyramid