Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
bluequill

DEC nab a few bad boys

Nice to know that at least a few slobs are getting hammered.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/115415....qmkp69juv2n1Hs

Last edited by bluequill; 12-05-2018 at 11:50 PM..
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
dundee

Sorry, link not working.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 PM   #3
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Sorry, link not working.
Try it now.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
dundee

Works now, thanks.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
gmorin71

is baiting illegal?

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
is baiting illegal?
Absolutely, yes. Check the hunting regulations.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html
Old 12-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

As I understand it baiting is illegal, but you can grow "food plots" which are any of various plants that deer like, grown in clearings in the woods, for no other purpose than to hunt over them. It's a pretty big loophole, but I don't suppose there's any way to legislate it anyhow. I don't hunt myself, this is just what I have heard from those who do.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
TCD

The "undead deer" made the national news...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #9
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Years ago, there was an article in the paper about an individual who was caught screwing antlers into the head of doe that he shot. Amazing how many years he got away with this. Anyone remember this article?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
TheHappyHikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
As I understand it baiting is illegal, but you can grow "food plots" which are any of various plants that deer like, grown in clearings in the woods, for no other purpose than to hunt over them. It's a pretty big loophole, but I don't suppose there's any way to legislate it anyhow. I don't hunt myself, this is just what I have heard from those who do.
Zach
The idea is that hunting over a food plot that was grown specifically to draw in deer with clovers and other plants is no different than hunting in an apple grove, or stand of oaks dropping acorns. The plants are growing there all season, and become just another natural food source. Farm fields are similar. But when someone goes out and dumps a big bag of cracked corn or apples in front of their tree stand that's when it crosses the line and is illegal. Same for those big salt blocks. In other states they allow it, but not NY. I've been in the woods and walked right through a plot almost without realizing, but I've also seen 5 gallon buckets full of grape jelly and Twinkies nailed to trees to draw bears in.
TheHappyHikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
bluequill

Yeah, I don't get planting a non native species just for the primary purpose of attracting the deer and then shooting them out of an elevated blind. May as well plop down a pile of corn or sugar beets.

One is not allowed to hunt waterfowl in this fashion. The crop must actually be harvested for sale or use as livestock feed or a cover crop. Think rice fields down south and recently harvested corn fields. You can't plant rice or corn just to attract the birds. But then, waterfowl is under federal regs.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Absolutely, yes. Check the hunting regulations.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html
I'm not going through the regs because I don't hunt. I was just curious. Don't really know what is and isn't accepted in the hunting world. Was thinking about picking it up at some point.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
I'm not going through the regs because I don't hunt. I was just curious. Don't really know what is and isn't accepted in the hunting world. Was thinking about picking it up at some point.
That link is not to the formal legal reading of the regulation itself, it is only a quick summary for those who don't want to go through the regs, such as yourself apparently, unless more detail is needed in the actual formal regulation. There is a tremendous amount of useful information to be found on the NYSDEC web site, especially useful for readers of this forum. Some may be a little difficult to navigate through, but the gist of the important stuff is usually quite bold.

Here's what the link says about baiting, if you bother to open the link:

Manner of Taking
It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:

Baiting
It is illegal to hunt with the aid of bait, or over any baited area when hunting big game, upland game birds, turkey or waterfowl.

Last edited by Wldrns; 12-06-2018 at 05:32 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
Buckladd

For every one they nab, a ton get away. I shot a turkey in the mountains this fall and his crop was full of cracked corn. There's not a cornfield within five miles. I let it be known I suspected someone was baiting. We've killed four bucks in there this fall and none had any corn, all natural browse.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #15
skillzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
For every one they nab, a ton get away. I shot a turkey in the mountains this fall and his crop was full of cracked corn. There's not a cornfield within five miles. I let it be known I suspected someone was baiting. We've killed four bucks in there this fall and none had any corn, all natural browse.
Agreed!
Sometimes I wonder when I see all these big bucks on social media from local towns field dressed and guys standing next to them in street clothes. Looks suspicious to say the least. Not saying there isn't an explanation, but every buck I've ever shot has always been a modest one. Some people seem to shoot slammers on a regular basis. Washington County corn field bucks I understand a bit better. But Adirondack bucks seem to be kinda hard to find. I know they are out there, have actually seen a few big Adirondack bucks harvested. I even missed a huge one last year because I couldn't be certain of the antlers through the brush. When I knew for certain the shot opportunity had passed. I suppose some of it depends on the area you have to hunt. Or maybe I'm just jealous.. who knows!

Last edited by skillzman1; 12-06-2018 at 06:15 PM..
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Are salt licks legal to use before big game season opens?
I stumbled upon one early Oct. & wasn’t quite sure what it was at first.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #17
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Are salt licks legal to use before big game season opens?
I stumbled upon one early Oct. & wasn’t quite sure what it was at first.
I think you are in your legal right to to lick one if you stumble across it in Oct. 😎

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #18
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I think you are in your legal right to to lick one if you stumble across it in Oct. 😎
I like it DT.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7197.html

Deer and Moose Feeding
Feeding of white-tailed deer causes unnatural concentrations near the food source which can lead to ecological damage, damage to property, and an increased risk of transmission of disease between deer.

NYS Environmental Conservation Law prohibits:

feeding or enticing deer to be fed within 300 feet of public road; and
establishing a salt lick on land inhabited by deer.

Can salt, mineral blocks, powders or liquids, or other foods be used to attract deer to game cameras?
No, except by permit issued by DEC for research or management.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I think you are in your legal right to to lick one if you stumble across it in Oct. ��
Haha...Having never seen one up close before, I was like... “Wow check out this weird, all white, rectangular, alien rock like looking thing out here in the middle of nowhere”...

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #20
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Haha...Having never seen one up close before, I was like... “Wow check out this weird, all white, rectangular, alien rock like looking thing out here in the middle of nowhere”...
Next time you'll know to look for the game camera and do a little dance.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote