Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #1
Tug Hill

Game cameras on state lands ??

Talked with a high ranking DEC law enforcement official last night, because of some issues we’ve had on the easement lands that we manage. Tree stands and game cameras, ceased by DEC Rangers.

One Question that was asked was, is it legal to place game/trail cameras on state or conservation easement lands, before any portion of the big game season is open, and if they need to be taken down, 30 days after big game season closes, like tree stands ?

His answer was unclear and it seems to be a grey area in the law.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
ADKpikebuster

I’ve talked to a few dec officers before, they’re always asking me for name number address and other info, then they set me up with a meeting with someone called a “judge”, and then I give the state a generous donation, always a good time....but in all seriousness I heard there’s a red neck Robin Hood up on tug hill relieving the state of their gates because they took some tree stands

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Terasec

since easements vary,
my opinion is just that, opinion,
personally would interpret regs as legal to do so by the land owner, but not by general public using those lands,
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

So if you come across a game camera on public lands, you can consider it trash to be packed out?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

On state owned (and DEC administered) lands, generally you have to talk to the ranger 'in charge' of the area and abide by what he / she tells you to do.
The regulation is not clear (outside big game season) and the person who makes the determination is the ranger who patrols the area...

On easement lands, the general regulation as written is:

"(2) No person shall erect any sign, structure, gate, barrier or other improvement unless specifically authorized in the conservation easement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
So if you come across a game camera on public lands, you can consider it trash to be packed out?
If you find it in the trash pile behind a leanto, yes. However if it's affixed to a tree you better check with DEC - it could be authorized use or dept use...
Old 01-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
Buckladd

Unless it's on my own property, I never touch anything that doesn't belong to me. If I come across a trail camera, I just smile and wave. I just found out some guys in my area had a deer cart stolen right out of their backwoods tent. I just don't get it.

In the end, what harm can a trail camera do on state land? It's like trapping, only with a camera. In fact, the old terminology is "camera trap."
Old 01-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Unless it's on my own property, I never touch anything that doesn't belong to me. If I come across a trail camera, I just smile and wave. I just found out some guys in my area had a deer cart stolen right out of their backwoods tent. I just don't get it.

In the end, what harm can a trail camera do on state land? It's like trapping, only with a camera. In fact, the old terminology is "camera trap."
short term, camera would have no harm, but with everything else, some will get left behind, then its toxic litter.
and if allowed wont be just 1 camera left be behind,
many people wont return for it, or will lose track of where they placed it,
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
mgc

Anyone that leaves a game cam on state land should be expecting it to vanish....

Last year I found a game cam mounted 10 feet away from one of my stands....I was shocked that someone would have that kind of nerve..to put up a camera on posted property right next to my stand? It was like a proclamation, "hey, I'm going to use your stand, just checking to make sure that you put the shooting lanes in the right place...
I left it along with a note and eventually tracked the person down...amazing. He said he was surprised that I didn't take it. What he doesn't know is that I have the local DEC ECO's number in my phone...
That was on private land. I can't begin to think what would happen on state land.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
dundee

It's probably not legal for the public to do it, but DEC dies it monitor wildlife. You're not supposed to cache anything (like food for an NP trip) unless it's a temp permit for hunting season.
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #10
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
I’ve talked to a few dec officers before, they’re always asking me for name number address and other info, then they set me up with a meeting with someone called a “judge”, and then I give the state a generous donation, always a good time....but in all seriousness I heard there’s a red neck Robin Hood up on tug hill relieving the state of their gates because they took some tree stands
Do you know something that no one else knows ? 1st they were DEC administered gates, but were on easement lands, that is still private land. The gates were there to limit access to the easement. I do not believe the lessees that had the tree stands picked up by DEC Rangers, are the perps. If it turns out they are, they will have big problems with the landowner as well as the law. Because it is a felony offense.

As far as game cameras, I think some here misunderstand my point ? It very well may be illegal to place a game camera on public lands outside of any open hunting season ? Because it was the DEC Rangers that ceased these game cameras, on TNC lands that are open to the public.

And far as the regs. On easement lands. There is NO standard, just about every conservation easement has different legalize.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #11
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post

But trappers set traps during trapping season, and have contact info on traps. It may not be legal to place a camera on public lands, outside of any hunting season ? You know as well as I do, Many are placed well before season as a form of pre season scouting.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
Edb 46 er

I came across two trail cameras during hunting season for big game. I left the cameras where they were. Not mine. Cable locked as well, not that it would matter.
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #13
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
Do you know something that no one else knows ? 1st they were DEC administered gates, but were on easement lands, that is still private land. The gates were there to limit access to the easement. I do not believe the lessees that had the tree stands picked up by DEC Rangers, are the perps. If it turns out they are, they will have big problems with the landowner as well as the law. Because it is a felony offense.
No I honestly don’t know what’s going on up there I just heard the story from my cousin who logs on the hill

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
short term, camera would have no harm, but with everything else, some will get left behind, then its toxic litter.
and if allowed wont be just 1 camera left be behind,
many people wont return for it, or will lose track of where they placed it,
I don't know about the rest of the hunters on here, but the guys I know (myself included) who set trail cams are obsessed with what's on them. Unless someone died, I can't see them being left behind. That said, I've only set a few on state land and usually pull them prior to or early in deer season and put them in a strategic spot on private land. I also don't check them too regularly due to scent concerns. Anyway, this will be a good question for a future DEC meeting.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
Tug Hill

Bottom line if it is something DEC is going to nit pick about. It’s disturbing to think that we as hunters who hunt wilderness public lands, in order to stay within the confines of the law, that we may lose a valuable pre season scouting tool.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #16
JohnnyVirgil

My friend has some land overlooking 7th lake from a high ridge on about 100 acres of private property, so he built himself a sweet lean-to. He put some game cameras around because there are bears and deer and other critters and he just likes to see what shows up. An entire family showed up for a picnic at his private lean-to. People don't care if it says private property or not. It was pretty funny, looking at the shots. They were clueless that they were on camera. I told him he should buy some of these: http://www.mysecuritysign.com/img/lg...ign-K-7708.gif

I do sometimes worry about someone stashing cameras around popular camping sites just for kicks. I know, I'm paranoid. Not like I'm doing anything but sitting around fishing, reading or sleeping, but still...
Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #17
adkman12986

Tree stands have to be removes from state lands 1 week after the season. Not sure about easements but thinking they are state easements I would think the same applies. As far as cameras they can be put out and left all year if the owner chooses to do so. I hunt with an Encon offices as well as teach sportsman ed and this is what we are told to tell the students
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #18
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Tree stands have to be removes from state lands 1 week after the season. Not sure about easements but thinking they are state easements I would think the same applies. As far as cameras they can be put out and left all year if the owner chooses to do so. I hunt with an Encon offices as well as teach sportsman ed and this is what we are told to tell the students
I think you have 30days to remove tree stands after big game season.
Cameras are still a grey area, and need DEC clarification ?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #19
geogymn

When I come across a game camera I just give it a friendly one finger salute. No need to mess with someone else's property. As long as it doesn't tread on me, live and let live.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #20
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
When I come across a game camera I just give it a friendly one finger salute. No need to mess with someone else's property. As long as it doesn't tread on me, live and let live.
Amen to that. I've only seen two (I guess I'm not that observant) and I just did a little dance for their amusement.