Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
Bagadeez04

Decent Short Hike, Ice Fishing Location

Hi everyone. I've done some winter camping/backpacking in my day, but have never incorporated ice fishing.

I'd like to try this out, by pulling a small sled to a camp site /lean to about 5 miles or less with a couple of friends. This would be in early February. I'm not familiar with good ice fishing locations, and ice thickness of various lakes and ponds.

Could anyone help me out with some decent locations for such an excursion? Something that isn't too crowded preferably, but would fit this description.
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Buckladd

I doubt you'll convince anyone to give away backcountry fishing spots. Many trout waters are also closed during ice fishing season. That said, here are some links that will help you do some research and find a pond that has the species you want to fish for and the type of hike you seek to get there.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7749.html
http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/
Old 12-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

I think the biggest thing you have to keep an eye on is if they have trout, most backwoods ponds do and are off limits to ice fishing. There are ponds near by those that have bass and pike but i know for instance the st regis canoe area no minnows allowed. Will have to do your research on the species present and if bait is allowed or not.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
ADKpikebuster

I always thought it would be fun to stay on deadcreek flow on cranberry and fish stay in the Janacks landing leanto, thatís about a 3 mile hike, thatís all that comes to my mind though

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
EagleCrag

I would think Indian Lake would be another possible destination. You could leave the boat launch on the southern end of the lake and hike to one of the campsites on the Eastern shore. I've never done that, but there are others on the forum who have. Perhaps they will chime in.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
Banoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
I always thought it would be fun to stay on deadcreek flow on cranberry and fish stay in the Janacks landing leanto, thatís about a 3 mile hike, thatís all that comes to my mind though
I saw two guys camping and fishing there two years ago don't know if they caught any fish but it looked like they were having a good time.

I went to Middle Saranack and tent camped on one of the sites a few years ago in early March caught a couple of pike and perch.
Banoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
Buckladd

I'm not sure if you can legally camp on the Lake George islands or not, but there are some spots along the shore, and there is some good fishing too; especially if you have the gear for lake trout. It looks like "The King" will freeze this year!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #8
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banoe View Post
I saw two guys camping and fishing there two years ago don't know if they caught any fish but it looked like they were having a good time.

I went to Middle Saranack and tent camped on one of the sites a few years ago in early March caught a couple of pike and perch.
Iíve fished dead creek a few times on the ice and have had decent luck with pike Iíve caught 30 inch and bigger all of the times Iíve gone , the hardest part is keeping those fish out of the stumps and debris, the flow is really shallow, also its a pain to get out there unless you have a sled even then Iíve seen that lake in the most miserable slush conditions, thatís why I think Iíve a guy wanted to hike the trail to the bay before janacks landing and hit the ice there he could do alright, then again it sounds like a lot of exercise

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #9
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I doubt you'll convince anyone to give away backcountry fishing spots. Many trout waters are also closed during ice fishing season. That said, here are some links that will help you do some research and find a pond that has the species you want to fish for and the type of hike you seek to get there.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7749.html
http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/
Not looking for any super secret backcountry fishing spots. Just a little advice for a beginner. Ill check out these links thanks Buckladd!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banoe View Post

Ill check these out on maps. I've wanted to do some of the cranberry trails but haven't been out there yet. Maybe this is the opportunity to do that. Thanks

Old 12-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
Iíve fished dead creek a few times on the ice and have had decent luck with pike Iíve caught 30 inch and bigger all of the times Iíve gone , the hardest part is keeping those fish out of the stumps and debris, the flow is really shallow, also its a pain to get out there unless you have a sled even then Iíve seen that lake in the most miserable slush conditions, thatís why I think Iíve a guy wanted to hike the trail to the bay before janacks landing and hit the ice there he could do alright, then again it sounds like a lot of exercise
Is the trail in from Wanakena suitable to pull a sled? Would think one could cut across the water to lean- to once make it to that point?

Old 12-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

check out Goodluck Lake near Arietta. several campsites, all less than a mile in, lots of fish.
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #13
Banoe

The trail in from Wanakena to Janacks is pretty flat. The guys I saw were pulling two jet sleds one with fire wood in it. Snow was kind of low that day so I don't think it was that hard to do. There are some camp sites further down Dead Creek Flow that might be better for camping/fishing as they would be closer to the water of course you would need a tent for that.
Banoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
Bagadeez04

Is there a good amount of snowmobile traffic on Cranberry Lake?