Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
thachertom

Fifty Acres of Beach and Wood

Fifty Acres of Beach and Wood - Discovering the Adirondack Heritage of Indian Point on Raquette Lake is a blog of my ongoing research of our family's land and the iconic characters of Adirondack history who have traversed these acres.

In the latest chapter "Found and Lost", I reveal the discovery of a cabin which existed sometime between 1880 and 1885 on the north shore of the northern tip of Indian Point. However, I have yet to find any photographic or artistic depictions of this cabin. My family had no knowledge of this cabin prior to my research nor do we know why it disappeared and we would be tremendously grateful if anyone had photos showing Indian Point in that time period.

For those visiting my blog for the first time, I suggest starting from the beginning. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my writings in

www.fiftyacresofbeachandwood.org

Thank you,

Tom Thacher
thachertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Roy Wires

Is Jerry Lamphear still alive?? He should know. If not, check with Dean Pohl.
Roy Wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
GeoLobo

Hi Tom,

Have you reached out to the Adirondack Museum Librarian - "Jerry Pepper"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thachertom View Post
Fifty Acres of Beach and Wood - Discovering the Adirondack Heritage of Indian Point on Raquette Lake is a blog of my ongoing research of our family's land and the iconic characters of Adirondack history who have traversed these acres.

In the latest chapter "Found and Lost", I reveal the discovery of a cabin which existed sometime between 1880 and 1885 on the north shore of the northern tip of Indian Point. However, I have yet to find any photographic or artistic depictions of this cabin. My family had no knowledge of this cabin prior to my research nor do we know why it disappeared and we would be tremendously grateful if anyone had photos showing Indian Point in that time period.

For those visiting my blog for the first time, I suggest starting from the beginning. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my writings in

www.fiftyacresofbeachandwood.org

Thank you,

Tom Thacher

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/adkleanto/[/URL]
GeoLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
JerseyHighlander

Knowing a fair bit about log cabins structure wise & having a considerable expertise in wood as a material, I can only think of two things that would make a log cabin up and disappear. Either it burned down, which can leave evidence in the soil for hundreds of years to come or it was dismantled to move it elsewhere or just use the timber for another structure.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
thachertom

Thank you for your responses. I am in continual contact with Dean Pohl and Jerry Pepper. Jerry has been a tremendous help to my research.

JerseyHighlander - I also suspect a fire and was wondering about evidence in the soil. Do you have any idea who would know how to do the proper soil testing to look for proof of a fire?

Thanks,
Tom
thachertom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue mountain lake, emmons, nessmuck, raquette lake, verplanck colvin