Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #41
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I don't know much about things, but I would tend to think that the spray paint is probably a pretty thin layer and is relatively inert, being dry. I don't suppose it's any worse environmentally than the original paint on the cars, unless it falls off faster, and then I doubt it would be enough to matter much. If there are any undisclosed quantities of liquids still in the cars I would think that would be a much larger volume of potential contaminants.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #42
Justin
Moving along

Ok thanks Zach.
I get it now...no real harm in spray paint graffiti, it's just artwork.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #43
Trail Boss

I imagine the graffiti was applied using store-bought spray paint (Krylon, Rust-Oleum, etc) which is typically oil-based but can also be latex. In other words, fairly common stuff everyone uses around the house. Once dry it's fairly harmless (lead was banned from paint a long time ago). "Contaminant" is not a word one normally associates with dry paint; it's the stuff people put on the kid's swing set.

The worst "contaminants" were the volatile components that off-gassed during the paint's application and drying process. Those exited the spray-can and entered the atmosphere (and the person's lungs) long before the railcars were stored.

Even graffiti-free railcars are fairly dirty beasts covered in all sorts of grime picked up in the depot, rail yards, and along the tracks. When they say the cars are "clean", it's unclear to what extent they've been cleaned. My guess is, at the very least, the tanks are empty. Perhaps they've also been flushed of all residue. As for their exteriors, call me cynical, but I'd be surprised if they received any attention. The paint used for the graffiti isn't a significant source of contaminants, it's whatever the cars picked up over their many years of normal service.

Being oil-tankers, they've undoubtedly seen their fair share of oily residue. Will that stuff wash off in the rain and contaminate the area beneath them? Maybe a little; maybe a lot. I don't know.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 11-13-2017 at 11:33 PM..
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #44
TCD

I think we have gotten to the point where we are making things up about these cars, because the bottom line is without an independent, unbiased assessment, we just don't know.

And I think this is where governments should make their push for IP to do more. Instead of simply barking that we don't like the cars because they aren't pretty; or marching with signs and trying to demonize company executives; or trying to pursue VERY shaky legal arguments that will probably not succeed, governments should be sitting down with IP and asking for an independent unbiased assessment of the "cleanliness" (inside and out) of the cars, and an assessment of "what if anything will end up on the ground when one of these cars sits in the rain and sun for a year."

(And it will be hard to find an expert who is neither a self interested company representative, nor a self-interested environmental group representative.)
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #45
JohnnyVirgil

Can someone please fix the spelling of Indefinately in the title of this thread before my head explodes? My OCD is kicking in.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #46
nutmeg creeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Can someone please fix the spelling of Indefinately in the title of this thread before my head explodes? My OCD is kicking in.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #47
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Please pardon my inquiry on the spray paint again...
I'm just curious if there is any possible environmental impact as these cars sit & rot & are exposed to the elements for a long period of time, and suddenly the gang graffiti (or artwork) on the outsides of these tankers begins to breakdown & wash down into the Boreas River & the other watersheds... Is the paint on the outside of these tankers really environmentally ok? Or am I just being a little too worried about a non issue?
rail cars are often painted and repainted,
graffiti while not visually pleasing is probably no different than having the rail cars painted
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #48
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
Protect may have a case if Iowa Pacific accepts so many cars for storage that they have to block the main line. They are close to that limit now. The forest preserve was taken by the Feds for the purpose of moving ore, not storing cars. That fact maybe could (I said "maybe") give Protect some standing to bring legal action to stop the car storage.

If the storage has to halt at maybe 200 cars, then that is far fewer cars than the 2000+ threatened by Iowa Pacific, and consequently not all that much revenue.

We just have to hope that If Iowa Pacific goes bankrupt (which they just might do given their other failures), that these stored cars are removed.
wishing for bankruptcy can lead to even bigger problems,
as instead of having negotiations on how to resolve the issue, the tank cars can sit for years as bankruptcy proceedings occur and in the end, IP will have no incentive to move/remove the cars as they are bankrupt

Last edited by Terasec; 11-14-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #49
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Done!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #50
Hear the Footsteps

Found this interesting for the statistic on railcars stored in America.
I also saw the 350,000 units(2016) in storage on 'Railway Age.'

At $5/day over $600 million revenue per year across the land. Not huge when spread across many small operations across the country. But not chump-change either.

There's also a video.

https://earther.com/thousands-of-idl...g-t-1820211538

Don

Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 11-14-2017 at 09:18 PM..
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #51
serotonin
ember

I refuse to be manipidated.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #52
Harvey44

A friend who went to the site on the Boreas yesterday to check it out said more cars arrived when she was there.

Let the governor know you aren't happy. If you aren't.

I don't like this one bit.
Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM   #53
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Pipelines would greatly reduce the numbers of these cars that are needed. But we protest against pipelines just as vociferously as we protest against these cars...
Ouch. I guess they all have their drawbacks. http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/key...eak/index.html
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:09 AM   #54
serotonin
ember

Thin as a Dime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDYlFUgBPI
Old Today, 02:34 AM   #55
serotonin
ember

God's Away On Business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mhsW5aWJM