Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Muzzleloading Supplies

Does anyone know of a good place to purchase a muzzleloader starter kit (locally (Saratoga area) or on the internet)? I was given a .50 cal CVA inline over the weekend. I like to find something that has some speed loaders, sabots, and cleaning kit. I found one online at Cabela's and couldnít find one at BassPro. I was wondering if there was someplace else I should try looking. Iím going to need the kit before the weekend when the late muzzleloading season starts.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Green Butted Skunk
ΚΑΝΝΑΒΕΙΣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac View Post
Does anyone know of a good place to purchase a muzzleloader starter kit (locally (Saratoga area) or on the internet)?
Give Chris or Kevin a call @ Nemecs Sportshop 623-2049 (They have a shop in Toga and W-Burg) and tell them what you need, they will take good care of ya and won't jerk you around like some of the big boys. Tell them Tim had you call.

GBS
Green Butted Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Gander mountain has a nice CVA kit available... I don't believe they have an online catalogue though, you would need a store nearby
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Butted Skunk View Post

GBS
...I never met a Skunk I couldn't trust.

and That goes Double for Daisy...
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
model8
Administrator

if i were you i would get all the stuff seperate that way you can pick and choose what you like and what you are comfterable with. for powder i would use pyrodex pelletes and a bullet cva power belts 100 grains and the power belt is what i use and they are dead on for a muzzle loader. you can get most of the stuff at walmart but bobs bait in corinth has a great selection also just shop around
Old 12-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
cbrown7

Try Power Belt bullets and Hodgdon's Triple 7 powder pelletts. I've had great success with them. There's a great small store in Latham on Rt. 7 near the intersection with Rt. 87. I'm sure a forum member will know.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Looks like I'm all set. I was able to pickup what I needed between Zack's Sports, Dick’s, and wally world. None had the single kit I was looking for, but I was able to get everything in pieces. I’m off to the range tonight to sight in. I’m going to try TC Shockwave sabots, 300gr (I wanted to go 250gr but Dick’s didn’t have any I wish I picked them up from Zack’s) with 100gr Hodgdon's Triple 7 powder pellets.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
cbrown7

You'll like theTriple 7 and come to hate the sabots. After you fire each round you need to swab the bore when you use a sabot. With a power belt you just push it down the barrel. They are machined .001" under bore size. You'd be smart to take them back and swap them for power belts. I promise you'll thank me.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
AdkWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac View Post
I was able to pickup what I needed between Zack's Sports, Dickís, and wally world.
Watch it, man. I live in Wally World.
AdkWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
Sheldon
Northern Hermit Wannabe

I've grown up using a patch and a ball. If anybody is willing, so I dont look like a moran, could ya tell me what a power belt actually is? I have Pedersuli long rifle with a full stock, it is new, but I would love to keep the barrel and everything clean when I'm out firing it. I use the pellets now, and people have suggested the sabots, but I have a wooden push rod and I dont want to break it. Any help?