Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
jfbweatherman
The Weatherman

Status of Hudson River & Lake Jimmy Bridge

Looking into the status of the Hudson River Suspension Bridge north of Tahawus & the Lake Jimmy Boardwalk for hiking this summer. Both are on the trail to Mount Adams & Mount Allen. Found here that they are still both out from Hurricane Irene. But found this from the DEC and it says the bridge over the Hudson River on the East River Trail has been repaired. Is this the same trail that I mentioned above? Anybody know the status of either? Any help would be appreciated!
jfbweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
JoeCedar

The steel suspension bridge was reopened by DEC about a month ago as was the trail which had been temporarily closed. The Lake Jimmy boardwalk has been mostly removed (not usable because beavers raised the lake level) and a rough detour trail has been installed with temporary markers.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
TBPDPTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
The steel suspension bridge was reopened by DEC about a month ago as was the trail which had been temporarily closed. The Lake Jimmy boardwalk has been mostly removed (not usable because beavers raised the lake level) and a rough detour trail has been installed with temporary markers.
Joe:

I recall hearing that the trail re-route around Lake Jimmy was to become permanent, and that the bridge was NOT going to be reinstalled. Is that merely a rumor?

The other 56: Summer: 49/56(1st); 10/56(2nd); 3/56(3rd); 3/56(4th) Winter: 13/56(1st); 2/56(2nd); 1/56(3rd); 4th (0/56)
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
TCD

And for the OP, for your planning purposes, don't forget that there is still an unbridged crossing of the Opalescent at 4.3 miles on the way to Allen. I don't know if there is any plan to replace that bridge.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
adkjack
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBPDPTI View Post
Joe:

I recall hearing that the trail re-route around Lake Jimmy was to become permanent, and that the bridge was NOT going to be reinstalled. Is that merely a rumor?
I can answer that.
At this time there is no plan to repair the old bridge/causeway. The decking has been removed and is currently being utilized as bog bridging on the east side and was also used to construct a bridge over the outlet on the north side.
There is quite a lot of paperwork involved in creating a new trail so the temporary white markers will be in place until the official designation for the new one.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
jfbweatherman
The Weatherman

Thanks for the feedback. Planning on doing Mt Adams this summer. Looking forward to it since it's right in the middle of the high peaks. I live in Syracuse and usually do day trips or stay overnight. Anybody know a good place to stay near Tahawus / Newcomb? The closest hotels I know of are in Saranac Lake or Lake Placid, which are 2 hours away since you have to go around the High Peaks. Thanks again!
jfbweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbweatherman View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Planning on doing Mt Adams this summer. Looking forward to it since it's right in the middle of the high peaks. I live in Syracuse and usually do day trips or stay overnight. Anybody know a good place to stay near Tahawus / Newcomb? The closest hotels I know of are in Saranac Lake or Lake Placid, which are 2 hours away since you have to go around the High Peaks. Thanks again!
There's primitive campsites just down the road at Cheney Pond, and a DEC campsite at Lake Harris.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Frhill

Actually Saranac Lake is only a little over an hour from Newcomb. If you want to be closer, your best bets would be staying in Long Lake or Tupper Lake.
Frhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Bob K

Many folks heading for the High Peaks stay in Schroon Lake as there are numerous lodging & eating options. Most convenient for people approaching from South/east off I87. Not a long drive across Blue Ridge Highway from exit 29 to the Upper Works road.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boardwalk, bridge, hudson river, lake jimmy