Lows Lake solo deer camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lows Lake solo deer camp

Well more like sunbathing, the temps where up in the 70's and then the wind blew for 24 hours (50mph plus gusts) I had a good time in camp, ate well but the 12 mile paddle in in a head wind combined with the portage around the upper dam really took it's toll on me.
    With such high temps I would be reluctant to even shoot a deer as far in as I was. It would be at least one day the meat would sit in those temps before I could get to some ice. So I sat in the woods some but nothing very serious.
    All in all a good time
    Attached Files
    www.canoetripping.net

Just wondering if you seen any deer. Used to belong to the club that leased that track.

Comment

I paddled over to give you a beer but I must have missed you
      in memory of Jimmy Johnson, an Adirondack Legend

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Comment

Man that's a lot of weight to transport. What kind of tent is that? We love our Snowtrekker. https://www.snowtrekkertents.com/shortwall.html

Comment

Nice Robin...looks like you had a nice stash of wood.

I think we were out the same weekend... opening rifle?

My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by adkman12986 View Post
            Just wondering if you seen any deer. Used to belong to the club that leased that track.
            No deer, but I really didn't spend much time in the woods.

Originally posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
            I paddled over to give you a beer but I must have missed you
            Sorry, I went in on Friday, the 20th and came out Wed., the 25th. Would have liked to meet you.

Originally posted by yardsale View Post
            Man that's a lot of weight to transport. What kind of tent is that? We love our Snowtrekker. https://www.snowtrekkertents.com/shortwall.html
            Yes, lot of weight, but this time of year I like to be comfortable. The tent is an old 8x10 wall tent I bought years ago before Snowtrekers where available, I cut it and the stove down quite a bit, I like wall tents. Over 60 nights in this one. Back in the day I could haul it all on a sled, no more. I get the whole outfit in a 15' wood canvas canoe, paddling is no sweat, 4 trips on the Upper Dam carrie knocked me for a loop at 69 yo.

Originally posted by bioguide View Post
            Nice Robin...looks like you had a nice stash of wood.

I think we were out the same weekend... opening rifle?

Yes, opening rifle, very warm.
            www.canoetripping.net

Comment

Yep, we're planning on using ours this winter near Teton Pass as a basecamp for some backcountry skiing in the area but we will be paying some local twenty somethings $20 bucks an hour or so to haul that 100 odd pounds of gear in for us.

Comment

"carrie knocked me for a loop at 69 yo".

Yeah but you did it, good job old man!
                If it dosen't kill ya it is buying you time.

By the way I read your quote listed above in an Eminem voice, methinking that is a cool old man, yo!
                "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Great job RobinI'm with Geo, you did it and the stories you can tell!!!! Thanks for sharing
                  Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Looks like a nice trip Robin. Thanks for sharing. Man, do those sausages look good!

Comment

very cool

Comment

Originally posted by yardsale View Post
                        Not to hijack the thread, but are there benefits to going with canvas?

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                          No deer, but I really didn't spend much time in the woods.
                          With that homestead set up, I wouldn't either! Looks very comfy. How long a burn do you get out of that stove?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
                            Not to hijack the thread, but are there benefits to going with canvas?
                            I like canvas, I just like the traditional look and atmosphere. I never really looked into lighter material, but I think I read somewhere where plastic or similar materials don't breathe and you end up with condensation inside (and ice on cold mornings). Since I have no interest in these materials I didn't read more about them and there might be options to rectify the condensation issue.

Originally posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
                            With that homestead set up, I wouldn't either! Looks very comfy. How long a burn do you get out of that stove?
                            Not a long burn. I sleep with it cold so I figured out long ago no need for much of a stove in a small wall tent. That stove was originally 12wx12hx 24 deep. It's now 12wx8hx15 or so deep. It will keep you warm down to the teens without a problem but it needs pretty constant attention and small wood.
                            Yes, it's tough to leave that warm tent on a chilly morning.
                            Attached Files
                            www.canoetripping.net

Comment

I'm leaving tomorrow for eleven days up in the big woods. This is what we been using for the last six years.
                              disasterrelieftents.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, disasterrelieftents.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

We put a tarp over it an have a over hang to store stuff if we need to. Plus it saves makes the snow slide off it easier if we get any.

Comment

Working...
                              X