Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > ADKHighpeaks Foundation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Calendar Voting

All right. Now for the fun part!

You may cast 13 votes.
3 votes per season and 1 vote for your favorite photograph overall.

Send a PM to Calendar and use this format exactly:

Winter 2,15,21,
Spring 7, 17, 22,
Summer 1,2,3,
Fall 11, 18, 21,
Overall Winter 12

Did you notice that the numbers are arranged sequentially, smallest to biggest? Good stuff. You qualify to vote!

Important message: last year a lot of you so and so's didn't bother to vote. I know, it takes time. However, one of the nice things about this project is that it gets everyone involved. You know, like a community.

Vote deadline September 4 at noon.

Anyway, if the voting turnout is low we have various ways of coercing you into voting.

Quick links to the thumbnail pages:
Winter
Spring
Summer
Fall

Last edited by Neil; 08-25-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Calendar

Nothing like a little friendly competition.

So far 29 people have voted on ADKHighpeaks.
On ADKForum the count is at......

8 people.

Yet, ADKForum has triple the membership, which gives us very roughly a 9:1 voting ratio.

Time for ADKForum members to get going!!
Calendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Lute Hawkins

I voted. Didn't wanna take any chances under coercion...
Lute Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calendar View Post
Nothing like a little friendly competition.

So far 29 people have voted on ADKHighpeaks.
On ADKForum the count is at......

8 people.

Yet, ADKForum has triple the membership, which gives us very roughly a 9:1 voting ratio.

Time for ADKForum members to get going!!
We prefer to put a lot of thought into our selections, taking our time to ensure that we don't make any rash decisions. This is a contest, not a race and to be fair to all the contestants we need to view each of the photographs with a critical eye, rather then hurry up to get it out of the way.

Here we prefer quality over quantity.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
Tuchov
Pirate

Damn Neil, you've actually made giving my opinion difficult. Congrats.

Last edited by Tuchov; 08-29-2009 at 04:00 AM..
Tuchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
We prefer to put a lot of thought into our selections, taking our time to ensure that we don't make any rash decisions. This is a contest, not a race and to be fair to all the contestants we need to view each of the photographs with a critical eye, rather then hurry up to get it out of the way.

Here we prefer quality over quantity.

Hawk
This makes a lot of sense and will be easy to verify. Number of views. Then, number of votes.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuchov View Post
Damn Neil, you've actually made giving my opinion difficult. Congrats.

Nevertheless, I'm going to vote the following:
Winter - 2, 4, 11, 12, 14, 15, 23
Spring - 7, 12, 13, 27
Summer - 10, 15, 16, 18, 20, 26-30
Fall - 6, 11, 17, 21

I feel bad voting for so many (2 years worth), but if there were more months in the year, I'd gladly have all these months on my calendar. Excellent examples of photography and the wilderness environment.
Sorry, but your vote will go unrecorded unless you PM it to Calendar and only vote 3 for pics per season and 1 overall favorite. Total of 13 votes.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Hawkins View Post
I voted. Didn't wanna take any chances under coercion...
I want to vote for Neils avatar,it is such a nice photo of him, but ,alas, I can't find it in the thumbnail section.

If I vote will the NYS Courts find me for JURY DUTY ?

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
I want to vote for Neils avatar,it is such a nice photo of him, but ,alas, I can't find it in the thumbnail section.

If I vote will the NYS Courts find me for JURY DUTY ?
No but the mental health Institute will probaly lock you up.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

I didn't vote because none of my photos were nominated!

Just kiddin' ...actually I didn't even realize there was another calendar contest going on until I saw this thread.

Looks like I need to view the 'ADKHighpeaks Foundation' section a little more often!

The photos that are up for voting are absolutely amazing!
I wouldn't even have anything that would even compare to the photos in selection!
I'll take the time and put my votes in soon, but it's going to be very tough to decide!

Nice job!

(maybe we could just make a calendar with the view of Avalanche Mtn & Mt Colden from Flowed Lands for every month of the year)

Last edited by Justin; 08-26-2009 at 05:57 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I didn't vote because none of my photos were nominated!

Just kiddin' ...actually I didn't even realize there was another calendar contest going on until I saw this thread.

Looks like I need to view the 'ADKHighpeaks Foundation' section a little more often!

The photos that are up for voting are absolutely amazing!
I wouldn't even have anything that would even compare to the photos in selection!
I'll take the time and put my votes in soon, but it's going to be very tough to decide!

Nice job!

(maybe we could just make a calendar with the view of Avalanche Mtn & Mt Colden from Flowed Lands for every month of the year)
So,you will not be coerced to buy,say ??? Looncry
Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
redhawk

Tim, Neil:

How many calendars are you getting this year?

Maybe you could have a contest and see who can sell the most calendars? Sort of like Girl Scout Cookies (Not trying to be funny).

Whoeve sells the most can be listed in the "Ring of Honor" for a year.

Of course you would have to create a "Ring of Honor" on the forums to honor the people who have made major contributions to the foundation.

Also those people who have websites or Facebook pages etc, could have a link to calendar sales.

I'll put one on the HV website, but I think that if we do that, we should have a "preview" jpg or pages to show.

Hawk
Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
looncry

Quote:
Tim, Neil:

Maybe you could have a contest and see who can sell the most calendars? Sort of like Girl Scout Cookies (Not trying to be funny).

Of course you would have to create a "Ring of Honor" on the forums to honor the people who have made major contributions to the foundation.

Also those people who have websites or Facebook pages etc, could have a link to calendar sales.

I'll put one on the HV website, but I think that if we do that, we should have a "preview" jpg or pages to show.

Hawk
I'm hoping Neil,Tim or Scott will respond to my suggestion on bringing a copy of Adams Tower restoration project and 2009 calendar to my flu clinics.I work out of Adecco Health Oct-Dec.in 17-20 clinics,mostly corporate. I would let my co. know of my plan ahead of time.I ger their name and address when giving the flu shot.Due to HIPPA,I would ask that they take down ADK address for a tax receipt. Ok? Looncry
Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Tim, Neil:

Hawk
I'm game for something like this. Generally (like in last year), we had a "pre-order period", and after that time, we took the number of confirmed sales and ordered that amount (well perhaps 20 over). It's a total fundraiser for the Foundation, so we try to maximize profits.

I'm not sure we want to order like 500 and hope "they all get sold", cause we'd have to "eat" the cost of unused copies. Perhaps smarter people then I have better suggestions on how this could be worked out.

I'd like the idea of the Ring of Honor, and I think we will have some type of system to honor those who have contributed (if they want that). In private, we've recently gotten several very generous offers from ADKforum folks.

In fact, you'll all be very happy to know that one of your fellow forum members (who wishes to remain anonymous) took it upon themselves to FOOT THE ENTIRE COST to upgrade this forum to the new vBulletin, which will vastly improve how the forum runs and features we can have.

That will occur sometime in the coming weeks.

I like the line of thinking though, keep it up.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #15

One of the two calendars I got last year had a couple extra pages with different pics for each duplicate month. Any way to make this one a "14 month" calendar if there is a close tie on the voting ?
Kinda neat to pick one of two pages for a couple of months I thought
Nice bonus !!

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
KeanGrad

Really nice photo's. The Spring photo of the chickadee is pretty cute.
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #17
Calendar

The voting isn't exactly what I would call "brisk" with a total of 12 members casting their vote.

I will start bugging people over the next few days, like REALLY BUGGING people.

Flooding PM boxes, sending dozens of emails, that sort of thing.

If that doesn't work then I'll have Hawk pay you a little personal visit.
Calendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calendar View Post
The voting isn't exactly what I would call "brisk" with a total of 12 members casting their vote.

I will start bugging people over the next few days, like REALLY BUGGING people.

Flooding PM boxes, sending dozens of emails, that sort of thing.

If that doesn't work then I'll have Hawk pay you a little personal visit.
My visits are never "little".
Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #19
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
No but the mental health Institute will probably lock you up.

I worked with "mentally challenged kids" for 30+years,I have no worry of anyone locking me up,I know all the wrong answers to give!

Maybe we can start a ADK institute of challenged Forum posters?

I still like the avatar,, so handsome for a Canada resident.........(JK)

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #20
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

I assume everyone is in the woods this weekend - when do we get to see the much anticipated winners of this years contest?
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote