Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2019, 12:29 AM   #1
rickhart

Algonquin Provincial Park paddle trip

I finally got to Algonquin Park in Ontario, and had a great 7-day loop trip. It started at the Magnetawan access point, went up to the Tim River, down it to Shippagew Lake, Big Trout Lake, & White Trout Lake/Grassy Bay, over to McIntosh Lake, then to Misty Lake, Little Misty Lake, part of the Petawawa River, and back through Daisy Lake to Magnetawan. It's a wonderful area. The middle section from Grassy Bay to McIntosh and Misty had more traffic & people, but it's all so big that there's plenty of room. Loons everywhere, including in a large group on Misty (I've never seen a "flock" of loons before; usually just see them in ones or twos). Only one moose sighting, but it was spectacular: a large bull grazing on water plants in a narrow bit of the Tim River. Held me up for almost 45 minutes, but it was worth it. 20 carries, 15 lakes, and three stretches of river. Here are some photos:
https://rickhart.smugmug.com/Tim-Riv...xF2K/i-sN7n23f

(If you click on the little triangle above the first photo, you should get a larger-screen slideshow)
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
sweeper

Nice set of photos rick I've been looking at that route.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
JohnnyMac

Rick, Great photos and looked like a great time. The shot of the moose should be your avatar.

I've never looked into Algonquin Park. Do you need any permits? Did you fish?
Old 08-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
rickhart

Yes, you need to make a reservation which can be done online (plus a lot of other info on the website), and then pick up a permit at one of the access points on the way in. The reservation system is interesting: you don't reserve specific sites, but just a particular lake or area. I guess they only give out as many reservations as there are campsites in that particular unit, but when you paddle in, you can take any open site on that lake (or river).

I don't fish, but many people do in Algonquin. Apparently the fishing varies from lake to lake -- I've seen online trip reports along the lines of, this lake has no trout, or that lake has great fishing.

There's also a website for a "Friends of Algonquin", and sites for outfitters, which have a lot of information.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
sweeper

The other thing about the reservations is you can make them 5 months from the start of your trip. The trip I reserved this year had 4 solo lake sites. Lasts years trip I was on 32 lakes, ponds or brooks and had 27 of them all to myself. It's a great place to paddle when you get away from the Rt 60 corridor and you don't mind walking. A 2000+m carry is not that uncommon and most likely an average for a day.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Buckladd

Nice! I'd like to go there. While I'd camp out in a tent, my wife is done with that and it's a little further than we'd like to haul an RV. I know they have cabins, but how are the facilities (bathrooms)? For her, that's a major issue. I'll show her these photos as inspiration.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
sweeper

There are a lot of full-service campgrounds along Rt 60 with plenty of day paddling.

Here's a great downloadable map of Algonquin, unfortunately, the hard-copies of these maps are hard to find.

http://www.algonquinmap.com