Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
BenjaminBentley

Question Bog River/ Lowes Lake?

Hey all,
We're looking into a trip into Lowes Lake/Bog River area. Lots a experience in the Daks, all the equipment, well prepared. Do folks put in above Hitchens Pond and go from there to Lowes? How isolated is the area? (hate crowds) Don't want to portage anymore than I have to. Does the water get low later in the year? How easy is it to find a campsite mid-week? Any information is appreciated.
Thanks
BenjaminBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
TrailBlaser

There's no public driving access to Hitchins. Put-in is at the lower dam. Short carry from the parking area to the dam, further if you are parked up the road. There's an easy 100 yard carry around the upper dam. There are plenty of sites on the river and the lake with good separation between them. Expect lots of people on holiday weekends. Weekends can be busy at the lower and upper dam. Week days are best. They just repaired the upper dam, so water levels should be good all the time. This has been one of my favorite places for canoe camping for over 20 years. My profile photo was taken at site #21. The summer I spent there as an AFR was the best!
TrailBlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
BenjaminBentley

Thanks for the info friend...looking forward to it.
BenjaminBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Benjamin,
You could also do a loop from Lila to Lows...Here's a link to a trip we did in 2013 to help your planning and maybe entice you too. Disclaimer: I hijacked another members' thread, my TR starts at post #13

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=18519
Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
his has been one of my favorite places for canoe camping for over 20 years. My profile photo was taken at site #21. The summer I spent there as an AFR was the best!
TB, I think I met you that year when you had that tub of a canoe. I assume you worked closely with Dawn and Greg A., great people. This will be my 29th year instructing BSA NCS trek leader guide students to my favorite places on Lows ( I don't know why so many people insist on the incorrect spelling), testing their leadership skills.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
TrailBlaser

Hey Wldrns,
I have been into Lows just about every year since it opened to the public. I was the AFR during the summer of '93; I was on the Oswegatchie the previous summer. I paddle a green Sawyer Autumn Mist. Do you think we met in '93 or sometime before or after? Dawn took the AFR job after me. I am thinking that Greg was the AFR on the Oswegatchie before me, but I am not sure. In the summer of '93 I was able to drive my black 4Runner to the upper dam, park and launch from there.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #7
Rich Lockwood

Lows

Lows is a beautiful place, but I won't go there during the summer/scout season again. On a nice day the launch and carry can be mobbed at times and I have had 3 unpleasant experiences with scout groups.
P.S.- I was a scout leader for 30 years and their poor discipline saddened me.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
TrailBlaser

I guess I am fortunate in that I have never had a negative experience at Lows. I don't go there on holiday weekends anymore, mostly because of crowding at the put-in. I try to plan my summer trips there for the middle of the week and not near holidays.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Wldrns

TB, I thought you were the AFR that was there for only a couple of seasons, maybe 10 years ago now along with Dawn. Might have been the year that the DEC did not hire full time permanent AFRs and Dawn was off for that season. I forget his name, but I heard the guy we met had a rough time, trying to paddle a real tub of a canoe that he had. You and I may have met in 93, as I've been going there with the Voyageur BSA trek leader training program since 90, plus several off season trips solo or with one other fellow instructor friend. We always tried to catch up with Dawn and her husband Greg, who was the full time manager at Sabattis BSA camp. Unfortunately they have recently retired and moved on to Maine, I believe. Mike is the new manager and lives in the house they had.

I do know that at the beginning of each summer season, scouts would make an environmental service project of making the rounds of the lake, picking up garbage from each campsite and would return with several large garbage bags full from the previous season's sloppy slob tourists.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
TrailBlaser

We may have met Wldrns. I had forgotten Dawn's husband's name. I ran into Dawn on my way out of Lows and we had a nice conversation. She told me she was going to retire and move in a year or two. She was always great, when I was an AGE she told they were there to help if I needed it. I put in for the job this year, but didn't get it. Hopefully it was because of my availability, not my age. I will be up there this year and hope we can meet in person.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Wldrns: I think you're thinking of Andrew, who was a backcountry steward at Lows Lake for (I think) 2 years.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
We may have met Wldrns. I had forgotten Dawn's husband's name. I ran into Dawn on my way out of Lows and we had a nice conversation. She told me she was going to retire and move in a year or two. She was always great, when I was an AGE she told they were there to help if I needed it. I put in for the job this year, but didn't get it. Hopefully it was because of my availability, not my age. I will be up there this year and hope we can meet in person.
Dawns husbands name was Greg
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #13
TrailBlaser

Right, I had forgotten his name. I only met him once that summer. I was the AFR on the Oswegatchie/Five Ponds in the summer of '92.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #14
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
TB, I thought you were the AFR that was there for only a couple of seasons, maybe 10 years ago now along with Dawn. Might have been the year that the DEC did not hire full time permanent AFRs and Dawn was off for that season. I forget his name, but I heard the guy we met had a rough time, trying to paddle a real tub of a canoe that he had. You and I may have met in 93, as I've been going there with the Voyageur BSA trek leader training program since 90, plus several off season trips solo or with one other fellow instructor friend. We always tried to catch up with Dawn and her husband Greg, who was the full time manager at Sabattis BSA camp. Unfortunately they have recently retired and moved on to Maine, I believe. Mike is the new manager and lives in the house they had.

I do know that at the beginning of each summer season, scouts would make an environmental service project of making the rounds of the lake, picking up garbage from each campsite and would return with several large garbage bags full from the previous season's sloppy slob tourists.
That summer I did quite a bit of campsite clean-up and fire ring rebuilding as well.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #15
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Wldrns: I think you're thinking of Andrew, who was a backcountry steward at Lows Lake for (I think) 2 years.
Yes, the name Andrew sounds familiar. Easy to confuse with Dawn and Greg Andrews.