Essex chain of lakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex chain of lakes

I was wondering if there was access to the lakes? I've never been there and wanted to paddle it. I see an intern map on the dec website but no apparent way to get in there. Is there a way in? I thought it was going to be open to the public on 10/1? Anyway I would love to get in there for a couple nites of camping,any info would be great! Thanks

Yes, current leaseholders have exclusive rights through Oct. 1. However, it is unknown what, if any, the classification will be by that time and that will determine accessibility. The APA is currently discussing that. Keep an eye on their website: http://apa.ny.gov/ as well as those of newspapers in the region who have been covering it.
    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

So the leaseholders can throw you out before oct.1? Or can still access it

Comment

Throw you out?

Nahh.. these ones shoot

Comment

Lol I shoot back. Probably not happy about the land deal with the state. Might have to wait until everything's in writing. Maybe next year thanks!

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by l'oiseau View Post
              Throw you out?

Nahh.. these ones shoot
              You might be surprised at how few actually use the camp as a hunting camp.
              Many so called hunting camps in the region actually have members whom use them as a place to get away from city life.

Comment

A lot of us are waiting to see what happens as of Oct 1. In a way, I'm sympathetic to the tenants of the hunting camps. They've had exclusive use of their space for decades and, from their point of view, they're being kicked out. I've seen the Gooley Club video and the properties are certainly not palatial--some of them look pretty basic. They've had a good deal for a long time and it's all coming to an end. I think we would all benefit by being considerate of their plight, even though I personally avoid motorboats, snowmobiles, and all of the stuff that goes along with them.
                "Days in the woods are days beyond time"--Paul Jamieson

Comment

Working...
                X