Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #41
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
Lake George is turning dark...a good sign.....
A few webcams:

LG Village
http://wnyt.com/article/12541/

Bolton
http://webcam.thealgonquin.com:8080/view/index.shtml

Inlet
http://www.nelsonscottages.com/webcam/

I had one for Limekiln but it isn't working
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #42
brookies4ever

Webcam back in commission

http://www.cotwny.org/cam.shtml
Find this webcam to be a pretty decent barometer of ice out conditions in the Central ADK's anyways.
brookies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #43
peskypup

A couple more:

Schroon Lake: http://schroonlaker.com/schron-lake-dropcam/

Lake George Village: http://www.lakegeorgesteamboat.com/about/webcam/

Lake George/Kitchel Bay: http://www.kitchelbay.com/Kitchel_Bay/WebCam.html
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #44
Buckladd

Gotta love webcams!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #45
adkman12986

Tupper has 20" yet except where the current is
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #46
Lars North

Upper Saranac Lake Webcam

Here's a link to a webcam located near the southern end of Upper Saranac Lake: http://www.uppersaranac.com/video-cam-feed/. It appears as if the ice has pulled away from the shore, but the reason is bubblers and underwater water impellers keep areas around docks ice-free most of the winter.

A friend of mine who lives on the lake reported 23 inches of solid ice in front of his place on Monday April 6th. He also X-C skied in the Canoe Area on April 7th and snapped some photos. It looked like the dead of winter, although quite sunny and pleasant. Snow depth in there was about 18".

The ice in Upper Saranac consistently goes out before the nearby ponds. So unless its ice-free there's probably little chance the ponds in the area are open.

Lars North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #47
Gman

If you go to Hickoks boat livery site there is a link toa webcam of one of the St. Regis lakes and it shows open water. The Yakers are all over this ice out speculation. Crazier than trout fishermen. I stop everyday at a trout pond in Ontario. It's just like an Adirondack pond and the weather is bang on with Saranac. The outlet was really running Friday and was showing open water and the ice was turning colour. Might be fishing next weekend or at the latest the early the following week. Not going to be nearly as late as once thought....IMHO.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #48
brookies4ever

Hoping that's the case Gman, liking the fact that it's not going to get below 32 at night so water isn't re-freezing. Would like to see some windier days coming up, and not have those windier days when I'm up there fishing...
Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #49
brookies4ever

BTW, Ice coming off Oneida Lake today really fast, looking like it could be totally gone by tomorrow.

http://oneidalakeview.com/webcams/on...ake+view/first
Old 04-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #50
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookies4ever View Post
Hoping that's the case Gman, liking the fact that it's not going to get below 32 at night so water isn't re-freezing. Would like to see some windier days coming up, and not have those windier days when I'm up there fishing...

doesnt matter . Ice melt is light dependent. Its not air temp dependent.

Yep the wind helps a lot..unless you fish the far shore!
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #51
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
doesnt matter . Ice melt is light dependent. Its not air temp dependent.

Yep the wind helps a lot..unless you fish the far shore!
Yes and no. You have to melt the top white layer first before the sun can do its thing. To do that you need above freezing temperatures. Once the ice goes clear then the sun can do its thing which is warming the water under the ice. A typical trout pond which is what we are talking about is 10 - 50 acres, sits in a depression and is surrounded by evergreens, wind is not much of a factor.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #52
brookies4ever

Oneida lake ice out

Tell you what, after wind picked up this afternoon, ice went fast on the north shore.

http://oneidalakeview.com/webcams/on...ake+view/first

4th lake starting to go on the edges.

http://www.nelsonscottages.com/webcam
Old 04-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #53
Gman

On 30,000 acre lake. Not the same as 30 acre trout pond.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #54
Buckladd

Smaller lakes in the Lake George are are open. As of today, the above webcams were still showing some ice on the big lake. I'll take a drive around in the next day or two to have a peak.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #55
Gman

George is a big deep lake. Deep water is a heat sink. But the small shallow lakes around it would be open. Very low in elevation subject to Champlains micro climate. Not even close to what is happening a thousand or more feet higher and inland. For every thousand feet in elevation is like 200 miles north in latitude and that is without the mitigating effect of Champlains micro climate which is clearly evident on the satellite image. Today I drove from 150 ft. elevation in the Ottawa valley which is 150-200 miles north of George and the bass and warmater lakes were open. I drove inland and 1700 ft. up and the temperature dropped 15 degrees. At night it gets below freezing as it does at Saranac still. The ice is starting to go, it's melted around the edges but even if it stays warm it's not going to be until next week.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #56
Gman

About micro climates. There are times when folks in Saranac will be enjoying balmy conditions and folks on Champlain will be bitching about how nasty and raw it is. That would be in June. My town of Kingston on the northeast shore of Lake Ontario has tons of downtown patio bars and restaurants. You freeze in June and early July but I've been comfortable in October even November. The big lake takes a long time to warm up and a long time to cool off.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #57
EagleCrag

I drove by Caroga, Canada, Piseco, and Pleasant Lake in Speculator today and they all had lots of ice left. Not even dark yet. I stopped at one of the campsites on Piseco and couldn't even find enough open water to let the dog go for a swim. I think you might even have been able to go ice fishing but since I'm not the adventurous type I didn't try walking out to test it. Its going to be a week yet for the ponds I think. The only open areas were where feeder streams entered the lakes.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #58
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I drove by Caroga, Canada, Piseco, and Pleasant Lake in Speculator today and they all had lots of ice left. Not even dark yet. I stopped at one of the campsites on Piseco and couldn't even find enough open water to let the dog go for a swim. I think you might even have been able to go ice fishing but since I'm not the adventurous type I didn't try walking out to test it. Its going to be a week yet for the ponds I think. The only open areas were where feeder streams entered the lakes.
And that is the southern part of the Park. You could have ice fished some places I was at today. But when it starts to go it'll go quick. The frost was going out of the ground. The top layer was soupy because it was still frozen a few inches down. I was looking for wintergreen berries but didn't see any.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #59
serotonin
ember

C'mon In..... the Water's Fine!

serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #60
Buckladd

Lake George is good to go, went out some time overnight Wednesday into Thursday.