Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #1

Safetys on leverguns ???

For me , a traditional exposed hammer levergun is perfect for hunting in the Adirondacks.
Sorry , for this thread the Win 88s and Savage 99s are not included.
Back in the mid 1980's Marlin and Winchester started adding extra saftey devices to thier century old rifle designs , rebounding hammers , cross bolt and tang safteys.
What do you think of them now that they have been around a while ?

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Preferring to think of myself as a part-time Luddite, I find it ironic that I welcome the new safeties. We had an incident with an older Marlin 336 that made us thankful for all the gun safety we had learned and practiced over the years. While setting the safety my wife let the hammer slip/drop on a live round causing us to be thankful the gun was pointing in a safe direction, S**T does happen...
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
ken999

The safety is redundant and not necessary.

Nothing trumps safe gun handling.
ken999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
DRIFTER

The only gun I posess with a hammer is not a lever gun, but a muzzle-loader. The only possible saftey would be to keep the cap off which would not fair well in a hunting situation. The hammer seems to be a sufficient safeguard in its uncocked position and I would definitely agree," Nothing trumps safe gun handling". A gun should never be considered unloaded and always pointed in a safe direction, always........[ I do have a 308 savage 99 and the saftey is loose and noisy, I use it, but it is not well designed. Love the gun itself though!
DRIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
toothlessannie

"While setting the safety my wife let the hammer slip/drop on a live round causing us to be thankful the gun was pointing in a safe direction"

I've been present when a similar scenario occured outside hunting camp, it's true, there is no substitute for proper gun handling. I've got a .30-.30 win with a hammer defeating mechanism under the lever. The lever must be squeezed tight to the bottom of the stock, thereby engaging a "dog" which releases the hammer to fall on the firing pin, if the "dog" is not engaged, the firing pin is not struck. Something to think about when the pressure is on.
toothlessannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Limekiln

I agree with Ken999 100%. On my old Marlin the hammer at half-cock is the safety. The most dangerous time with any gun is when it's being loaded or unloaded and shells are getting cycled through the action. I'm always nervous when a bunch of guys come out of the woods and stand around the truck talking and unloading their rifles.

Keep them pointed at the ground at all times and no one will get hurt.
Limekiln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
ADKHUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothlessannie View Post
"While setting the safety my wife let the hammer slip/drop on a live round causing us to be thankful the gun was pointing in a safe direction"

I've been present when a similar scenario occured outside hunting camp, it's true, there is no substitute for proper gun handling. I've got a .30-.30 win with a hammer defeating mechanism under the lever. The lever must be squeezed tight to the bottom of the stock, thereby engaging a "dog" which releases the hammer to fall on the firing pin, if the "dog" is not engaged, the firing pin is not struck. Something to think about when the pressure is on.
I have the same rifle. Took a bit of getting used to but its not even a thought now.

Ed
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:

Those were part of the origional designs from both Marlin and Winchester , dating back to the late 1800's.
It prevents the rifle from firing when it's out of battery ( action not fully closed )

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
toothlessannie

They made a couple of different configurations, mine actually has the trigger stop "safety" which is controlled by the protruding dog underneath, also mfg was a safety on the top tang which defeated the hammer too.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

When I took the Hunter Education program, the instructor, Scoop Robbins (I'll never forget his name, his teaching style, nor his incredible common sense) made us all memorize his definition of the safety on a firearm.

Scoop's definition is:
Safety - A mechanical device that CAN and WILL fail.

If anyone wrote anything different for that one question on the final test they failed the course. His definition is infallible, irrefutible, and keeps everyone alive.

Ordin
Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Preferring to think of myself as a part-time Luddite, I find it ironic that I welcome the new safeties. We had an incident with an older Marlin 336 that made us thankful for all the gun safety we had learned and practiced over the years. While setting the safety my wife let the hammer slip/drop on a live round causing us to be thankful the gun was pointing in a safe direction, S**T does happen...

I guess I'm more than a part time Luddite , that example Will stick with your wife longer than if it had just been "OOPS it sliped" and went click.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
They made a couple of different configurations, mine actually has the trigger stop "safety" which is controlled by the protruding dog underneath, also mfg was a safety on the top tang which defeated the hammer too.
I'm easilly confused , what rifle are you talking about ? And vintage ?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
toothlessannie

It's a winchester model 94 .30-.30 vintage 1973
Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #14

Thanks Toothless , Yup , that protruding dog , along with the half cock feature were in the origional design back in 1894. You threw me when you added the tang saftey in your post.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
toothlessannie

Interesting, I'd always thought of it as a modernization of an old design. The original being just the half-cock "safety".
Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
ADKHUNTER

Hey guys, any way I can tell the age from the serial #. My Win. 94 belonged to my great uncle and I know he had it for years.

ED
Old 02-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
toothlessannie

Try this link

http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlook...le=win1894.dat
Old 02-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #18

So..... How old is it adkhunter ??

Got any pics ? That goes for the rest of you folks as well

I've got a big soft spot in my heart for lever guns and would love to see pics of what you got. 1st , 2nd , 3rd ,generation , well used old beaters , it's all good

Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #19
ADKHUNTER

Thanks for the link TA. My Win. was man. in 1958
I'll post a pic tomorrow.

ED
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #20

That's great hopefully it will be passed down and used , and apreciated for many more generations .