Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #1

Hunter shot in the back

Point Peninsula , Town of Lyme , Jefferson County.
Seems the person responsible for the shooting paniced and took off
Any info that may help , please let the Troopers know. This person needs to be found and the whole story known.

http://www.news10now.com/content/all...90&ArID=123314

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
trouthunter

Was he shot with a muzzleloader?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #3

Yes, a Muzzle loader Monday evening.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Old 10-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Man that's horrible. I read the story and I was even more horrified....Leaving the guy out there to die....

I wouldn't want to get shot with anything but I'm suprised that guy lived, my .50 does some serious damage.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #5

Just need some help finding the guy that ran away .
Please help the familly by sharing any info. This guy must have talked to some one by now , or at least raised a red flag or two
Closure on that front will help the familly a lot.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
trouthunter

Kinda makes you wonder, how can someone do this? Shooting at anything that moves? The only logical explanation which is still not acceptable is he was using his scope like a telescope and fired off a shot accidently while viewing another hunter.
One of the first things they teach in hunter safety is to identify your target and to not use your scope for watching other people/hunters in the area. DEC guy I talked to said you wouldnt believe how many hunters point their rifles at me in the field. Most are just using their scopes for magnification but think about what you are doing! Your pointing a firearm at a LEO! HELLO!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

you know, I really don't see how it is possible to mistake a human for a deer or bear... even if some nut job was running around in the woods wearing carhart brown from head to toe, it would still seem impossible to mistake them for a deer.

the only way I can see this type of thing happening is...

if the guy has extremely poor vision... and in that case, he shouldn't be firing a weapon.

if the guy is shooting at anything he sees moving... in this case he should definitely not be allowed to carry a weapon.

if the guy that was shot was not visible in the trajectory of the bullet. this is a tough one, especially with all the low cover that is still on. That is why I like to always stop with my back against a tree.

I hope the man that was shot is ok.

if the shooter was hutning on a legal ML license, seems like they could possibly find the guy by looking at driver's license pics.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_nyp View Post
if the shooter was hutning on a legal ML license, seems like they could possibly find the guy by looking at driver's license pics.
Good thinking SP_nyp Hope the authorities think of that. But I wonder how many ML licenses they handed out this year ?
The victim is going to be OK , He got very lucky

Old 10-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
Hobbitling
spring fever

So according to the article, the police dont feel any need to charge anyone with a crime. Does that seem a bit strange to anyone else.

Are they just trying to lure the suspect into turning himself in, trying not to scare him off? I find it hard to believe he wont be charged at this point.

if you hit someone with a car and drive off, its a crime, right. But not if you shoot them? Isnt it the fleeing part that makes it a crime?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #10

Yes, I think the Police are trying to make it easier for the guy to turn himself in and do the right thing. If he even has a sliver of a concience , he should be around 48 hours without much sleep. I don't want the guy scared off , I want to see the familly have at least closure on that part of this.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
Are they just trying to lure the suspect into turning himself in, trying not to scare him off? I find it hard to believe he wont be charged at this point.
Most likely, yes, they are trying not to scare the guy away. I've noticed the police have been doing this a lot lately when there is a suspect on the loose. They'll describe him to the media as a "person of interest," like he's just a witness they want to question. When he shows up, they throw the book at him.

Of the theories offered in previous posts, I will add another: the person may have been under the influence...
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_nyp View Post
you know, I really don't see how it is possible to mistake a human for a deer or bear... even if some nut job was running around in the woods wearing carhart brown from head to toe, it would still seem impossible to mistake them for a deer.

the only way I can see this type of thing happening is...

if the guy has extremely poor vision... and in that case, he shouldn't be firing a weapon.

if the guy is shooting at anything he sees moving... in this case he should definitely not be allowed to carry a weapon.

if the guy that was shot was not visible in the trajectory of the bullet. this is a tough one, especially with all the low cover that is still on. That is why I like to always stop with my back against a tree.

I hope the man that was shot is ok.

There may be the answer. perhaps he was hunting without a license which is why he neither assisted or reported it.

Of course, either way there is no excuse for not coming to the wounded persons aid.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
... When he shows up, they throw the book at him...
This reminds me of something I saw either on TV or in a movie.

They would send out a notice to a suspected address of a criminal. The notice said that so & so was the winner in such & such a contest. Please show up at the address above to claim your prize.... see the quote for the rest
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

You don't need a drivers license to get a hunting license.Just ID.
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
Wldrns

possible vehicle sought

Update: "State police said Tuesday that investigators found a blaze orange hunting vest and other physical evidence that might help find a man wanted for questioning in connection with an alleged hunting accident...."

"Police are also interested in hearing from people who might have seen a gray or silver colored mid-size car in the area of Pine Woods Road on Point Peninsula at the time of the incident."

It would be nice to know that the DMV and DEC could collaborate in cases like this, but as these things usually go, their separate databases are probably incompatible. [edited]

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-17-2007 at 05:05 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Let's keep politics out of this. Glad to here the hunter that was shot is going to be ok. I hope they find the person responsible.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #17

Thanks for the update Wldrns

Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #18
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac View Post
Let's keep politics out of this. Glad to here the hunter that was shot is going to be ok. I hope they find the person responsible.
No one has brought politics into it.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

I think it might be a drivers license thing.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #20

They are still looking for the guy.

http://www.news10now.com/content/top...sp?ArID=123479