Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #21
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

"I'm going to change directions here." Better have your compass.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
I'm going to change directions here. Years ago I backpacked into Tirrell Pond. I met a young guy when I got there (actually I was young too back then come to think of it!!!), and we were sharing the lean to. At one point I let him see my new compass I had just bought and he liked it a lot. One thing or another and somehow he kept the compass. When I backpacked out to my car, there was my compass attached to the door handle with a note apologizing for not having given it back to me at camp. He knew I was from Ohio and my car was the only one in the parking lot with Ohio plates.
That's cool
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:48 AM   #23
aft paddle

I don't know if it has ever done any good but I've started leaving an empty cartridge box on my sleeping bag.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #24
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
I don't know if it has ever done any good but I've started leaving an empty cartridge box on my sleeping bag.
I’ve done that with a shot gun shell before. I’ve also left a couple of targets with some nice groups marked “200 yards” in sharpie on my porch when on vacation. Should do the same in my campsite
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #25
Blackflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I’ve done that with a shot gun shell before. I’ve also left a couple of targets with some nice groups marked “200 yards” in sharpie on my porch when on vacation. Should do the same in my campsite
you are making the assumption that these little scamps can read
Old 09-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #26
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflie View Post
you are making the assumption that these little scamps can read
or care
Old 10-16-2019, 06:47 PM   #27
vapaddler

I just got back from 2 weeks in the central Adirondacks. camped one night at Moose Plains. The registration sign at South Creek entrance to Middle Saranac has an impromptu notice "Local Thieves will steal your gear, even kayak racks off your car"
Not sure if they are local thieves, but thieves nonetheless.

reading the register that shows what parties are out for x number of days, takes some of the risk out of thievery I suppose
vapaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
Woodly

Pickup caps can easily be broken into. Always stow ALL valuables out of sight.
The state police once put up a camera at the Garden Parking lot to stop a thief. Me and a few other surveilled it for days on end sitting in the snow but it was BCI George Jakes and the camera who caught the guy who had been stealing from many parking areas for a couple years and was mostly a hoarder he had stolen so much. [Maybe he is out and back to his old tricks but its probably others].
The guy had actually stolen the camera...but George caught him.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #29
JohnnyVirgil

I used to joke that my car was such a POS that a thief would probably break into it, feel sorry for me and install a better radio.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote