Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Potter Mtn Gear Stash

Dear Mickey & Nolan, your mess has been reported to DEC.
It was nice to meet you guys a couple years ago, but please clean up your sh!t bro, wtf ?!? I have you on one of my GoPro videos.
Potter Mountain, Pharaoh Lake Wilderness...

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
dundee

Why in the world would they haul all that stuff up there? Justin, do you think they were camping up there on a regular basis? Thanks for reporting!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

I'll echo Dundee; "Why there"?

Doesn't look like a hunting camp. Just a party spot, maybe?

Hopefully DEC will be able to ensure that the offending parties take care of the mess. It never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks Justin. You're a true steward of the woods.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Why in the world would they haul all that stuff up there? Justin, do you think they were camping up there on a regular basis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
I'll echo Dundee; "Why there"?

Doesn't look like a hunting camp. Just a party spot, maybe?
Not sure how often they use it, but there is a rogue campsite up there northeast of & just below the summit, which they said they were responsible for. When I met them a couple years ago I couldn’t believe the amount of heavy gear they had...large coolers, a couple Cabella’s Cot-tents (which are still up there), etc. They said they hiked in from the Short Swing Trail. Not a super difficult bushwhack by any means but damn guys! There is one hell of a view from up there! Must be a great spot to watch the sunrise.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
JohnnyVirgil

That's just ridiculous. Who would do that?? I probably know the answer...the same kind of people I saw pouring into Archer's Vly on Friday night for a party. We had taken my 7 year old niece canoeing for her first time. I was carrying the canoe back to the car right around the time the music started and someone yelled across the parking lot that he was "going home to get the f$cking grill." Classy group. The place was really nice right after the state opened it, but now the word is out.

PS - I dare you to open that cooler.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 08-26-2019 at 08:59 AM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
Lucky13

While participating in the coastal cleanup, I have found messes like that along the gorge of the Genesee River here in Rochester. Here, they are summer residents who will head south to live under the stars in the Piedmont or further once the snow starts threatening to fly. Not all the homeless have the urban tastes, many prefer a country manse! As we have limited pickup and load out capabilities on the cleanup, these usually get reported to the City of Rochester. One of these camps was on the top of a small outcropping of the gorge wall, the "owner" must have had no problems with sleepwalking.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
webby459

Bummer about the mess Justin, good for you for reporting.

JohnnyVirgil, also bummer about A.V. Was that this past Friday? I was there last Friday (17th) and although there was a small-ish group of twenty-somethings there, they were so quiet all night I had honestly thought they left. They were at the site closest to the parking, on the right side, I was at the last one down the lake that I had paddled to.

I do think that maybe the closest site is too close to the parking, but maybe that's just me.

In the past I had seen a ranger truck moving along the Lake Desolation road, and this time when I was there a ranger actually showed up Saturday morning at my camp site, I don't think it was ECO Hess (whom I've met before at work), it was another guy. I was quite glad to see him, I've seen imo relatively few DEC people in my travels.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
Bummer about the mess Justin, good for you for reporting.

JohnnyVirgil, also bummer about A.V. Was that this past Friday? I was there last Friday (17th) and although there was a small-ish group of twenty-somethings there, they were so quiet all night I had honestly thought they left. They were at the site closest to the parking, on the right side, I was at the last one down the lake that I had paddled to.

I do think that maybe the closest site is too close to the parking, but maybe that's just me.

In the past I had seen a ranger truck moving along the Lake Desolation road, and this time when I was there a ranger actually showed up Saturday morning at my camp site, I don't think it was ECO Hess (whom I've met before at work), it was another guy. I was quite glad to see him, I've seen imo relatively few DEC people in my travels.
Yeah it was this past Friday. Earlier in the day a guy with his wife and kid were headed in to camp on the water accessible site, and another group was already at the site you were at. I'm not even sure this group planned to move away from the parking lot and the first "area" that is not really a designated camp site, but still kinda looks like it was at one point, even though there's now a no camping disk on the tree. I've already dismantled a few fire pits there and brushed them in. That's great that they were patrolling; I hope they recognize that the area is very accessible and therefore prone to issues and will continue to do so. And no, these were not 20-somethings, they were more like 30-40 somethings who still acted they were in high school. I could smell the weed as soon as I walked up to my car. Not that I have anything against that, just that usually when coupled with loud music, beer and a freakin' gas grill, it means someone's gonna have a party. I would just prefer they keep said party in their own backyard.

(Sorry, Justin, didn't mean to hijack your thread..)

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 08-26-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Old 08-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
...they were more like 30-40 somethings who still acted they were in high school. I could smell the weed as soon as I walked up to my car. Not that I have anything against that, just that usually when coupled with loud music, beer and a freakin' gas grill, it means someone's gonna have a party. I would just prefer they keep said party in their own backyard.

(Sorry, Justin, didn't mean to hijack your thread..)
No worries. Sounds like us at Crane last weekend, minus the gas grill.
My apologies if anyone here was there, we had the big site close the parking area & the cornhole games got a little competitive.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
No worries. Sounds like us at Crane last weekend, minus the gas grill.
My apologies if anyone here was there, we had the big site close the parking area & the cornhole games got a little competitive.
What?! I thought they handed out a free gas grill and a chainsaw to everyone who drives up to Crane.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
What?! I thought they handed out a free gas grill and a chainsaw to everyone who drives up to Crane.
Not quite but my man Adam did catch a guy & his son camping in the parking area near the launch with a campfire this past weekend, which is odd because site #1 near the launch was unoccupied. I ran into Ranger Arnold on her way in on my way out, presumably to aid Adam the AFR with the illegal campers. Perfect timing for me but I was going to call anyway.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
Lucky13

A campfire on the surface of the Parking lot? With cars parked nearby? Trying for Darwin Awards. maybe. Hope they got an invitation to meet a real rural Justice of the Peace, that might help with the necessary education.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
A campfire on the surface of the Parking lot? With cars parked nearby? Trying for Darwin Awards. maybe. Hope they got an invitation to meet a real rural Justice of the Peace, that might help with the necessary education.
It was kinda in a corner up against one of the large boulders that surround the parking area near the launch, but yeah a campfire right on the pine needles next to parked vehicles.
I chatted with them briefly & mentioned the unoccupied designated campsite less than 100 yards away, but he (dad) said they arrived in the dark & didnít realize there was a designated campsite nearby, and obviously he didnít know about the 150í regulation either, although he did mention how he has been hunting the area for years.
He didnít seem very happy with AFR Adam lol, and thatís probably why Adam called it in Iíd bet. I heard him radio it in along shore as I was paddling back to the launch. Good times in the Pharaohs...
Old 08-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #14
kwc
loser

We ran across an abandoned tent on our way into Middle Lake yesterday ... pretty good sized tent, poles in the bag, and the tent's stuff bag right near by. Looks like it's been there a while ... and it wasn't in a camping spot either, not even in a spot that could even hold a tent. Very strange. We didn't have the resources to pack it out, but will the next time we go up there.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #15
Pauly D.

Man that's just awful. I ran into a similar sight at Fishbrook Pond last year. There must have been 100 pounds of trash around the South lean-to. Chairs, mattresses, tents...Lazy bastards. Get in shape before lugging a bunch of crap into the backcountry.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
We ran across an abandoned tent on our way into Middle Lake yesterday ... pretty good sized tent, poles in the bag, and the tent's stuff bag right near by. Looks like it's been there a while ... and it wasn't in a camping spot either, not even in a spot that could even hold a tent. Very strange. We didn't have the resources to pack it out, but will the next time we go up there.
I found one on the island there a couple years back, it was partially buried in frozen snow so there was little I could then but take photos & report it, hope you did the same.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Man that's just awful. I ran into a similar sight at Fishbrook Pond last year. There must have been 100 pounds of trash around the South lean-to. Chairs, mattresses, tents...Lazy bastards. Get in shape before lugging a bunch of crap into the backcountry.
Unfortunately it happens a lot, hopefully you reported it instead of doing nothing.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #18
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Unfortunately it happens a lot, hopefully you reported it instead of doing nothing.
I didn't unfortunately. I hauled out what I could. Didn't realize you're supposed to report that stuff. Thanks for the info. If I run into something like this again I'll call DEC.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
I didn't unfortunately. I hauled out what I could. Didn't realize you're supposed to report that stuff. Thanks for the info. If I run into something like this again I'll call DEC.
No worries man, lots of people see illegal things that they’re unhappy with and don’t bother to report it. You’re not alone. No one likes a rat, I get it. But when it comes to things like this I get pretty pissed. Thanks for helping to clean things up, regardless if a call to DEC is necessary or not.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
Woodly

Other than a busload, I kid you not, of crap and tp on Grace and Carson a few years back, that is the biggest pile of stuff I've ever seen in the woods.
I pick up litter all the time but that is like a pickup load. My God, what is wrong with people?
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote