Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
bluequill

Cooper Kiln Leanto.

Quick question. Wood floor or dirt floor?

Thnx!
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Woodly

Wood, and a very, very cold place on a windy winter day.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
bluequill

Thanks. No cold winter nights, maybe just an overnight next week.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #4
kwc
loser

the lean-to sits about 20 feet from the edge of the pond. Small fire ring is almost on the edge of the pond. The lean-to adopter appears to visit the area frequently & tries to keep things fairly neat & tidy.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's (edit) one of the highest elevation lean-tos in the Adirondacks, so expect that any night there will be noticeably colder than the forecast might indicate. Like Woodly and kwc also mention, it's super close to the water and accordingly very exposed to the wind.

EDIT: For some reason I thought it was the highest, but I double checked and Slant Rock, Feldspar, and Uphill are all just a tad bit higher. You'll still want to expect a chilly night at Cooper Kiln nonetheless.

Last edited by DSettahr; 09-27-2019 at 11:02 PM..
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:55 PM   #6
Woodly

Often one can wade across the pond, which ain't much of a pond, without getting their hips wet. Its rock solid come freeze up. And did I mention cold and windy
Nice trail in from near the Whiteface Road. The other trail up from Blow Street [old locals called it that] is a long uphill walk but at the turn around [you'll see it, the trail was a jeep road long time ago] the new [a few years old]slide isn't far off on your right and is very cool to examine and affords nice views.

Blow St=Wilmington Dump Road=BonnieView Road.

The 'Bonnieview' was from the old and gone[business wise] Bonnieview Inn and Cottages and golf course.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:19 AM   #7
MaximusFunk24

If you hear a creepy intermittent tapping during the night, it's the loose thermometer that's nailed to the side catching the wind. First lean-to I ever spent the night in and still one of my favorites. If you are lucky, the kettle will be completely filled with fog when you wake up.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #8
bluequill

Thanks for the great information. If things work out I'll post a photo of the "kettle fog"