Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
Bagadeez04

Canoeing in Adk for beginners

I've always thought canoeing looks like a unique way to enjoy the Adirondacks and other places, I love the videos I've seen from the members on here documenting their adventures.

I've been backpacking in the adirondacks for about 10 years now, but have no experience with a canoe. Any pointers, or suggestions for getting started?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bagadeez04; 05-06-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
Swamp Booger

Link up with a friend who has a canoe and experience. Where do you live? Perhaps a forum member (like myself)with a canoe would be willing to show you the ropes.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
sweeper

Find yourself a inexpensive canoe on C-list. Buy some good PFDs and paddles and start by paddling roadside lakes and ponds. Check out videos on Youtube on how to paddle and have fun. As you gain experience you can start carrying the canoe between the lakes and ponds, so when you're looking at canoes try to find one you can carry for a 1/4-1/2 mile. Then you can take you Backpacking gear add another 30lbs of luxury equipment and really enjoy the woods.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Booger View Post
Link up with a friend who has a canoe and experience. Where do you live? Perhaps a forum member (like myself)with a canoe would be willing to show you the ropes.
I live on the outskirts of Rochester. That would be great if anyone was willing and in the area!

Old 05-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
sweeper

I live the other way in Western MA but am more them happy to meet up in the ADK for a paddle. and I have extra equipment.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Best way to try is to go rent a boat somewhere in the park. Depending on where you want to take a trip there are a number of outfitters that you can use. I can give you a good reference if you decide where you might want to go.

As far as equipment, it's really not all that much different than backpacking, or at least to start. If you get into it and get your own boat, etc, you may want to refine a bit. I use a different pack for canoe trips just because it fits in my boat better, but I used my backpacking equipment for years. One thing to consider is using dry bags. You don't really have to put everything in them, and a lot of times I've found it's overkill but at minimum I'd put your tent and sleeping bag in one. Small plastic bags (you can buy really nice, fancy ziplocks that last a long time) for matches, batteries, etc are handy. I wouldn't overthink that too much on your first trip, but do your best to protect them should you go over.

A pair of water shoes is nice. Flip flops will work in most cases unless you get to some areas where there are real muck. I've seen sandals disappear in thigh deep Adirondack swamp muck. I go barefoot a lot of times though and if I'm carrying I put on my hiking boots.

I'd recommend doing something without any carries or with a short carry to start with. To me, that's the hardest part... well assuming you can handle the canoe on the water. Also perhaps stick to smaller water (small lakes and ponds) at first until you get comfortable with wind and waves in a canoe.

I find the best way to get used to controlling the canoe is to paddle the shoreline first. If you get out in the middle of a body of water you can't always tell how you are tracking or how fast you are going. Stay close to shore and get used to how a boat feels, how to steer and your speed. Also you can pull over if you feel uncomfortable or sore. Then work your way into bigger water and rivers.

Another tip: flies (stable flies) will hide in your boat and bite your ankles while paddling. Swatting at them is futile and bug spray will wash off when you get in and out. Keep an aerosol can of high deet spray right handy and apply to your ankles and legs as soon as you get in the canoe. I also spray it directly at the offending diptera that will linger and try to bite you when you have both hands on the paddle. It works for killing leeches too. Spray it right on them.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Fishing, having a cooler, and a bag or two of Stewarts firewood are some of my favorite parts of canoe camping.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
Bagadeez04

Thanks for the info all. Sweeper i was hoping to try something closer to home, i think ill rent and paddle around here first but thanks so much for the offer.

Montcalm great suggestions, is bottoming out a problem with modern canoes? With punctures and whatnot? Or can they usually take a little abuse

Old 05-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #9
montcalm
Mobster

Depends on the canoe. The really lightweight ones can't take too much abuse, but I've paddled Kevlar and carbon for a few years now with no issue.

I'd be careful with a rental, but if you buy one of your own, they are pretty robust. You don't want to hit sharp rocks through rapids, but the occasional log, rock, etc in flatwater is usually pretty benign.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
Swamp Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagadeez04 View Post
I live on the outskirts of Rochester. That would be great if anyone was willing and in the area!
I live just south of Pulaski. Depending on which side of Rochester you live, I'm likely no more than a 2 hour drive. There is paddling water with no motorboats about 15 minutes from my house. If your interested, maybe we can set something up. I have 2 tandems and 1 solo you can try out...not ultra lights, but decent canoes that work fine for me.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Bagadeez04

Ok thanks Swamp. May take you up on that one of these days, I'm on east side definately under two hours i would think.

Do what's a decent weight for a canoe that can be carried and whatnot?

Old 05-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Do what's a decent weight for a canoe that can be carried and whatnot?
How strong are you?

And do you want to carry your gear AND the canoe, or are you OK with carrying each separately and doing two trips.

Also what size? Are you looking tandem or solo?

<30 is really light. That's pretty hard to do tandem but not out of the realm for solo and pack canoes. Some pack canoes are half that.

<45 is pretty decent for a tandem. Not absolutely horrible to carry with your gear in one shot.

50ish is about my limit when carrying a pack with me, and I don't really care for that for more than about 1/2 mile.

60-70 is more common for less expensive plastic and fiberglass boats. Alum too. I consider these canoes double carry canoes.

70+ is really heavy.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #13
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
How strong are you?

And do you want to carry your gear AND the canoe, or are you OK with carrying each separately and doing two trips.

Also what size? Are you looking tandem or solo?

<30 is really light. That's pretty hard to do tandem but not out of the realm for solo and pack canoes. Some pack canoes are half that.

<45 is pretty decent for a tandem. Not absolutely horrible to carry with your gear in one shot.

50ish is about my limit when carrying a pack with me, and I don't really care for that for more than about 1/2 mile.

60-70 is more common for less expensive plastic and fiberglass boats. Alum too. I consider these canoes double carry canoes.

70+ is really heavy.
Hmmm tough questions. I consider myself pretty string i guess, but as to weather i would carry the canoe and gear in one trip...I'm gonna guess that's didn't for everyone and would require some trial and error to figure out.

I will definately try to keep under 50 pounds if i buy one.

Another question is what's a tandem?

Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
montcalm
Mobster

tandem = two person canoe although many can be paddled solo

Best bet at this point is to go put your hands on some boats and try some out.

Bay Creek, Oak Orchard and Hemlock

are all places in or near Rochester where you can go put your hands on a canoe and test paddle. I still think renting would be ideal to do a trip and see how you like it, but going both routes will not be a bad idea.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
tandem = two person canoe although many can be paddled solo

Best bet at this point is to go put your hands on some boats and try some out.

Bay Creek, Oak Orchard and Hemlock

are all places in or near Rochester where you can go put your hands on a canoe and test paddle. I still think renting would be ideal to do a trip and see how you like it, but going both routes will not be a bad idea.
Yea I'm gonna try Bay Creek a couple times, they also do classes too. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #16
sweeper

Quote:
Hmmm tough questions. I consider myself pretty string i guess, but as to weather i would carry the canoe and gear in one trip...I'm gonna guess that's didn't for everyone and would require some trial and error to figure out.

I will definately try to keep under 50 pounds if i buy one.

Another question is what's a tandem?

And it not like you have to do the carries in one shot. I'd rather do it in 2 carries and really enjoy my trip. Most carries are under a 1000m. Its good to get out and stretch the legs.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #17
Buckladd

Go to paddlefest in Old Forge in a few weeks and try out all the kayaks and canoes you want. Perhaps you might settle on a kayak rather than a canoe.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #18
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
And it not like you have to do the carries in one shot. I'd rather do it in 2 carries and really enjoy my trip. Most carries are under a 1000m. Its good to get out and stretch the legs.
Sweeper does a 2 trip carry faster than I can do a single trip with a canoe cart
Old 05-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #19
datdweeb

Baggy - I am in Rochester....I sent you email. Email or PM me back.....happy to share what I know!
datdweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #20
sweeper

All depends of how rocky the Carry is.