Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #1
Hasheem

Overnight at Raquette Falls

I went on this trip on the 12th of April, 2017. We hiked in all the way past Raquette falls lean-to no.1, it took about 2 hours to get there. Lean-to number 1 was not on the water, and was very muddy, so as a group we decided to head back about a mile to the Raquette falls lean-to no.2, that we had passed on the way. it took about a half hour to retrace our steps to lean-to number 2. we set up tents and settled in by 1 o'clock. We at the lunches we packed, and then i took out my fishing pole and tried to fish the high waters. After about two hours of fishing and no luck, i headed back to camp to eat the hot dog dinner the rest of the group had cooked. soon it got dark and we hung around the fire until we were tired. the fire kept us warm from the 30 degree weather. After a few hours, we decided to head to bed. we curled up in our sleeping bags only to be awoken a few hours later by the freezing cold. most had not packed for 10 degree weather. after a long l night we were all up and around the fire by 6 o'clock. we had a early pancake breakfast and cleaned up the camp. we headed out on the trail by 9:30. two hours later we were back at the beginning done.
Hasheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Trail Boss

I guess this is the same trip as the one posted by "21 Savage"?
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=24244

For future reference, the description of your trip suggests you ran afoul of two DEC regulations:
  1. Camping is forbidden within 150 feet of a lean-to (and other things).
  2. Camping with a group of 10 or more requires a permit from a forest ranger.

General reference for primitive camping on state land: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41282.html

The 150-foot rule is designed to prevent the area around a lean-to from becoming a beaten-out, muddy wasteland (amongst other things).

The 10+ person rule is designed to ensure there is communication between the forest ranger and the person organizing the shindig. The ranger will want to know why the group needs to be so large (large groups have the potential to be more environmentally damaging) and if the organizer is aware of how to minimize the group's impacts (amongst other things).

Should your group ever wish to camp in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness Area (EHPWA), please be advised it has many additional camping constraints (because it's a very popular camping/hiking destination). A concise list of the EHPWA's regulations and guidelines can be found here:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23488

The regulation that would affect your group immediately is the ceiling for group-size in the EHPWA (for camping) is 8.

May your next trip have hungrier fish and warmer evenings (and fewer infractions).
Old 04-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
randy savage

thank you again trail boss for keeping the group honest but as i already pointed out we had a permit for being over 8 and also kept tents 150 feet away im not sure what the kids wrote to lead you to believe otherwise? i haven't found it yet but will keep reading im halfway done!
randy savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Trail Boss

Thanks Randy Savage, glad to hear it!

At least two of the six reports posted by your students claimed the plan was to camp next to the third lean-to but was canceled due to excessive mud in front of it. The same reports indicated the group camped next to the second lean-to

If your group did not, in fact, camp within 150 feet of the lean-to, then they misreported their location.

Minimally, they are operating under the assumption that camping next to a lean-to is permitted (that's a mistake). One individual suggested others could camp in from of the DEC Interior Station (also a mistake).