Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
rbi99

Rocky Peak Ridge from New Russia vs Whiteface

I am coming up to the Adirondacks from Cleveland tonight, with a planned climb this Sunday. The weather reports I see are sort of conflicting, though they all call for rain. Some seem to indicate it will be heavy, others lighter. I am aware of the DEC's mud report. Two mountains not mentioned (I know they can't name them all) were RPR and Whiteface. If RPR is our option we will do the longer New Russia way, and if Whiteface, it would be from Connery Pond. Big difference in elevation I know between the two different hikes. Is either hike more or less likely to be exceptionally muddy? I have the experience, clothing and equipment to climb either one. I am looking at these trails in part because they are less frequented early in the season then the more obvious, popular ones, and will therefore see less negative impact on them.

Last edited by rbi99; 05-12-2017 at 10:36 AM..
rbi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
pthivier22@gmail.com

Rocky Peak Ridge from New Russia vs Whiteface

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
I am coming up to the Adirondacks from Cleveland tonight, with a planned climb this Sunday. The weather reports I see are sort of conflicting, though they all call for rain. Some seem to indicate it will be heavy, others lighter. I am aware of the DEC's mud report. Two mountains not mentioned (I know they can't name them all) were RPR and Whiteface. If RPR is our option we will do the longer New Russia way, and if Whiteface, it would be from Connery Pond. Big difference in elevation I know between the two different hikes. Is either hike more or less likely to be exceptionally muddy? I have the experience, clothing and equipment to climb either one. I am looking at these trails in part because they are less frequented early in the season then the more obvious, popular ones, and will therefore see less negative impact on them.
Hi unfortunately it is not the best of times to hike the ADK as per http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...2500-feet.html

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
pthivier22@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Bark Eater Too

By memory RPR is predominantly "on the ridge" and well drained. Approach to Whiteface from south may be sloppy. Once you get on the climb past the landing it is quite steep, so you may be walking up a stream but it shouldn't be muddy. I think there is a significant stream crossing on your WF route. Don't remember any on RPR.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
Bark Eater Too

They had some fresh snow up there earlier this week. Dusting down low. Likely more at higher elevations.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
rbi99

Thanks for the input so far. Unfortunately for us my son is heading into busy season at work and cannot change his day off, plus our other friend is literally flying into Cleveland around midnight tonight and we are heading from the airport straight to NY.

Besides elevation differences between the two climbs, the first three miles up toward Whiteface are basically flat. Big difference between the two regarding effort and time needed. Would prefer to do Whiteface, especially if it does rain all day and the great ridge views become non existent going toward RPR.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
rickhart

I remember the flat, old-road part of the Connery Whiteface approach as being quite wet in places. The east route to Giant is pretty dry after it gets on the ridge after a half-mile or so -- might still be muddy but I can't imagine lots of standing or moving water.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Hard Scrabble

The route from New Russia to Rocky Peak requires some ups and downs, far different from the Connery route.
But, with some great views.
Jim

Last edited by Hard Scrabble; 05-17-2017 at 04:29 PM..
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #8
rbi99

Thanks again. Came up last week and ended up climbing Whiteface from Connery. Trail was not muddy or overly wet. Was surprised how good the trail was.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
Bark Eater Too

Glad you had a good trip. Spring in the ADKS is frequently an adventure!