Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #21
richard p

Canoeing in the Adk's

I was in your shoes when I started visiting the ADK's 20 years ago. Unfortunately there was no internet and so no ADK Forum so I relied on books and magazines. I personally think that a "first timer" should start in the St Regis Canoe Area (SRCA). Great canoeing, some hiking, portages, a lot of information and several outfitters in the area. I would also recommend the book "Quiet Water Canoe Guide, New York", "Adirondack Paddling" and the Adirondack Paddlers Map. If you have little to no equipment, using as good outfitter is a great way to see what options are available. I rented different canoes for years to get a real feel for them. St Regis Canoe Outfitters (they have 1 location in the SRCA), MAC's Canoe Livery, and Adirondack Lakes and Trails Outfitters are in the area, have great equipment and give great advice. You can show up with nothing and leave fully equipped - even with food. I had my first trip base camping on Long Pond and had a great time exploring Long Pond Mountain and portaging up to Fish pond. Another great option is to base camp on St Regis Pond. If you can go before Memorial Day or after Labor Day you will have minimal "crowds". The week before Labor Day is is good too - just get out before Labor Day weekend. If you go after Labor Day the outfitters usually have great deals on equipment. I would also recommend 2 books about canoe camping. Not really necessary but great reads about canoe specific equipment and canoe camping. "Canoeing and Camping Beyond the Basics" by Cliff Jacobson and "Canoe Country Camping" by Michael Furtman. No matter where you choose to go you will have a great time and the people on this forum always give great advice. Enjoy.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #22
Bagadeez04

Canoeing in Adk for beginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard p View Post
I was in your shoes when I started visiting the ADK's 20 years ago. Unfortunately there was no internet and so no ADK Forum so I relied on books and magazines. I personally think that a "first timer" should start in the St Regis Canoe Area (SRCA). Great canoeing, some hiking, portages, a lot of information and several outfitters in the area. I would also recommend the book "Quiet Water Canoe Guide, New York", "Adirondack Paddling" and the Adirondack Paddlers Map. If you have little to no equipment, using as good outfitter is a great way to see what options are available. I rented different canoes for years to get a real feel for them. St Regis Canoe Outfitters (they have 1 location in the SRCA), MAC's Canoe Livery, and Adirondack Lakes and Trails Outfitters are in the area, have great equipment and give great advice. You can show up with nothing and leave fully equipped - even with food. I had my first trip base camping on Long Pond and had a great time exploring Long Pond Mountain and portaging up to Fish pond. Another great option is to base camp on St Regis Pond. If you can go before Memorial Day or after Labor Day you will have minimal "crowds". The week before Labor Day is is good too - just get out before Labor Day weekend. If you go after Labor Day the outfitters usually have great deals on equipment. I would also recommend 2 books about canoe camping. Not really necessary but great reads about canoe specific equipment and canoe camping. "Canoeing and Camping Beyond the Basics" by Cliff Jacobson and "Canoe Country Camping" by Michael Furtman. No matter where you choose to go you will have a great time and the people on this forum always give great advice. Enjoy.
Thanks Richard i will check out these books, maybe head up to SRCA for a couple days to give it a go after I try it out at home.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #23
OntarioSkiBum

An even more "beginner'er" trip would be to stay in the Fish Creek Ponds or Rollins Pond Campground and rent a canoe there. There's a lot of good paddling in that area, and you'll have the convenience of a base camp in the campground.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #24
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Are you planning to paddle solo? Or with a partner?
In either case, renting from St Regis Canoe Outfitters could be ideal. You could car camp at Rollins Pond, then zip over to the rental/outfitter shop and do day trips from their store.
Or, start your trip at Rollins, then rent a canoe and spend a few nights on the many nearby ponds. Long Pond is a short carry from the store, and will provide a wilderness experience that you would likely enjoy...
Old 05-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #25
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Are you planning to paddle solo? Or with a partner?
In either case, renting from St Regis Canoe Outfitters could be ideal. You could car camp at Rollins Pond, then zip over to the rental/outfitter shop and do day trips from their store.
Or, start your trip at Rollins, then rent a canoe and spend a few nights on the many nearby ponds. Long Pond is a short carry from the store, and will provide a wilderness experience that you would likely enjoy...
That sounds perfect i think I'll do that

Old 05-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #26
richard p

Rollins

Pretty funny - I started staying at Rollins years ago and when I could not deal with 2 weeks of canoe camping because of old bones and kids! I did not mention it because you mentioned you were a backpacker so I figured you wanted to wilderness camp. Yes Rollins is wonderful and you can take many trips from there and not get in your car (except to get your canoe from the outfitter). The canoes rented on site are aluminum beasts so taking advantage of portaging to the many ponds nearby would not be fun. It is very hard to get a water site unfortunately - all are booked 9 months in advance. Here is a great site about Rollins: http://rollinspond.com.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #27
electbc
Outdoorsman

Get together

And just by coincidence several of us are getting together next weekend at Rollins pond for 2-3 days. Come on by, I will have a solo and a tandem.
Checkout the Event Planning and meets link.
I believe we probably have enough sites reserved to squeeze in a couple tents.
But let us know so you can be added to reservation and get access to CG.

Last edited by electbc; 05-11-2017 at 01:50 AM..
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #28
Bagadeez04

Thanks for the invite, but it's tough for me to get away on short notice being that i have 3 little kids and a pregnant wife.

Im down to a couple backpacking trips a year now and i need to plan then out cause we always got stuff going on. What I'm hoping to do is get some experience canooing at home, and then maybe do a trip to St Regis in a month or so.

Are there trips from that area where i could rent a canoe and still find spots to camp? Or is it all by reservation only? Or are there places further west where i could rent and go out for a couple days?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #29
sweeper

You're going to need a big canoe
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #30
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
You're going to need a big canoe
Gonna have a fleet

Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #31
montcalm
Mobster

I'm in the same boat. I have triplet baby boys, so my trips are limited these days.

There are plenty of trips to do in the west, but not a lot of them are as beginner friendly as the ones in St Regis/Saranac Lakes WF.

I believe Mt Man in OF will rent overnight canoes, but again, trips are limited.

A really easy one to do is to go to Moss lake. It's a very short carry, and there are free sites around the lake that can be paddled to. It's not really a canoe trip, but it's a really easy trip that can be done with a canoe.

I think the easiest wilderness trip to do in terms of proximity to you is Lake Lila. You could rent from MM or Raquette River outfitters in Tupper. The carry is short and it's a nice place to spend a few days.

I could give you a laundry list of other trips but none really have the appeal of Lila for a first time trip. Moss would be good for an overnight just to mess around packing up a boat, paddling a bit and camping overnight.

Actually Hitchens Pond is pretty good and about the same distance as Lila...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #32
mgc

If you are new to canoeing I would recommend camping somewhere where you may explore canoeing without committing yourself to the need to to make miles, haul gear, worry about wind and waves and trying to figure out how to paddle.
Could you do that? Sure...the boy-scouts make a regular practice of doing trips with inexperienced paddlers...but in the company of adults that are somewhat experienced.
Rent canoes if you must and learn the J-stroke for steering, dump it in shallow water and figure out how to get back into it. Paddle somewhere and paddle back...get familiar with canoeing without diving into canoe camping....
There have been a few good suggestions for places to go....I would add Meacham Lake to the list as a possible place to get your sea legs. A short downriver trip is another safe option to consider... Lake Flower...something easy with bailout options.

The other option would be do try a guided trip. Guides can help you learn a great deal in a short time. They also add an element of safety that is worth considering. They can provide everything you need, equipment, meals, routes, training......
I learned to paddle on a small (cold) pond in Maine....it grew from there...learn the basics first.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #33
electbc
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagadeez04 View Post
Thanks for the invite, but it's tough for me to get away on short notice being that i have 3 little kids and a pregnant wife.

Im down to a couple backpacking trips a year now and i need to plan then out cause we always got stuff going on. What I'm hoping to do is get some experience canooing at home, and then maybe do a trip to St Regis in a month or so.

Are there trips from that area where i could rent a canoe and still find spots to camp? Or is it all by reservation only? Or are there places further west where i could rent and go out for a couple days?

Well it would be necessary to have reserved a canoe during the summer high season on the weekends, during the week it would be advisable if you don't have your own. You can reserve a campground at a state CG through Reserve America if you are doing the base camp scenario. If you are tripping into a campsite on lakes and ponds in wilderness areas, it is first come first served, so a Friday afternoon put in will be pretty busy.
Generally there is a 3 night maximum and a group size maximum. If you don't go to an established site there is a 150 foot from water and trail rule as is with the backpacking rules. Leave No Trace or LNT is enforced throughout the ADKs.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #34
electbc
Outdoorsman

Raquette River Outfitters have locations where they rent, in both Tupper and Long lakes.
St Regis Canoe Outfitters has a location on Floodwood road, on Floodwood Pond. There are sites on Floodwood Pond if you wish to start out easy.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41282.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/70572.html

Here is a map of SRWCA. St. Regis Outfitters is at the lowest Parking symbol on the left side of Floodwood Rd, northern tip of Floodwood pond.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...mapstregis.pdf

Last edited by electbc; 05-12-2017 at 01:06 AM..
Old 06-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #35
Sinite

Go visit Hornbeck Boats. I have been portaging into beautiful remote ponds and lakes with my Hornbeck solo/tandem carbon fiber 14 footer for over 10 years. It weighs 24lbs. I take it out on long trips on big lakes up in Canada too. It was the best investment of my life and continues to be. And it is not nearly as delicate as people think. I am careful ,but you know, ..it happens and my Horbeck floats on. One tip, know what type of waters you want to paddle as different hull designs have pros and cons. I have paddled Hornbeck's faster designs, but they did not ride the waves like mine. Thing is, I would not have known that when I first bought the boat, just got lucky. Ask questions! Pete Hornbeck likes to talk;-)
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #36
tenderfoot

Bagadeez04,

My apologize. I mostly hike the ADK's and canoe in Canada so have not visited this topic area before - so this response is late.

I live in Rochester (Henrietta) and own a 12' Old Town Stillwater fiberglass canoe that I canoe camp with. I would be happy to take a paddle with you. Mendon Ponds park is close and well suited for beginners, but I am happy to explore new places. Hemlock Lake is larger and has a wilderness feel to it (reservoir, no cottages).

We canoe camp in Lake George, Algonquin Provincial Park, Massasauga Provincial Park, and am hoping to try French river Provincial Park or the St Regis area in the ADK's this summer.

When we canoe camp we make the following modifications to our usual backpacking gear:
- Small cooler
- Yes! Stewarts Fire wood!
- Some collapsible chairs. They do a good job keeping other gear off bottom of canoe.
- Canoe pack (waterproof rigged bag)
- More dry bags
- 5 gallon water container for water and ballast
- 5 gallon pails that function as seats, storage, bear bags

This is for trips with no portage or minimal portage. for portaging I'd revert to back packing gear.

Also, we are building 'stitch & glue' kayaks and I would also like to try my hand at 'Skin On Frame' or 'strip built' for a lightweight canoe. So you may wish to consider building too.