Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
SpencerVT

TR Mountain yesterday

My wife and I climbed TR mountain, - an AHH peak near Indian Falls - in the rain yesterday. First, Muck Boots are the greatest invention ever since like ebay. These boots kept our feet dry despite 8 inch puddles and even deeper mud everywhere.
The herd path from the Van Hoevenberg trail to the summit of TR mountain is marked with a small cairn. From there it is a bit tough to follow because it blends in with the forest floor making the route hard to ascertain. As you go up, the route becomes easier to follow. However, just near the summit, it appears to me that there isn't one distinct herd path any more but braided random routes that get you the last 100 yards or so to the small summit clearing. I got wet on this part because the conifer branches were overgrown into the various routes making swiping up against me inevitable. By this time it was snowing. We hiked in a snowstorm about half the day yesterday.

The summit has a small clearing with the letters "TR" carved into a tree and an orange ribbon. There are some cool peak out views as you descend the herd path, which must be even better in clearer weather. We made good time coming back through the snow.
The rivers, brooks and streams are very, very high. They were raging like crazy yesterday. Extremely dangerous to try and cross. You just don't want to even think about doing it. Fortunately we were able to take the high water crossing bridge and avoid being stuck. Made good time getting back to the LOJ. No one was out hiking yesterday barely. When we got back to the lodge there was a grand total of 1 other car in all the parking lots! It was a fun mountain to climb and thank God for Muck Boots.