Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #41
skillzman1

Nice buck!

I made a total rookie mistake last weekend and I'm kicking myself in hindsight. I was driving a side hill that I had never been across before. Through the woods I thought I saw an orange brim of a hat. I walked a few feet more and realized it was a ribbon on a tree. Took a few more steps and noticed three pink ribbons next to it. Thought to myself ' oh it's a property corner'. Then I realized that there was a deer standing 10' beyond the ribbons staring in my direction!
I put the scope on it but there were branches hanging over it's head. It was about a 3' window at easily 120yds away.On 3 power I couldn't tell what I was looking at. Turned the scope up to 9 and looked again, still can't be sure. Kept whispering 'move your head, move your head'. This went on for at least a minute or more. Long enough for my arm to get tired. I lowered the rifle slowly so it wouldn't notice the motion. Finally it took one step backwards. I raised the rifle to look again and it looked right back at me, peeking around the tree in front of it. Finally I could see just a bit of it's head enough to realize that the rack was well outside the ears!! A sight I had never seen in my scope before! All the bucks I have shot in my short career have been basket racks, young bucks.
I said 'Holy Crap!' and fired....and missed. The buck made a whirl and was gone in one hop!
It went down the bank to my left and passed through the woods full tilt passing by my sister setting on watch. She said it was going about 100 mph through the woods..lol
Apparently there were two bucks and one doe because 10 seconds after I shot my brother in law shot 4 times at a small buck that split off from the doe joined at it's hip that came off the same side hill and went straight up through the 30' high ledge he was setting on. He said the two came out and went straight below the ledge and the buck took two hops up a 40* slope and landed 10' from him coming through the ledges and went completely around him. He said it wasn't a very big buck, I assured him that was not the same one I had seen.
In retrospect I did the right thing in not shooting until I was sure of what I was looking at. But I also realized afterwards that a deer with a chest that wide and a head that big is very unlikely a doe. And to think it was standing stone still broad side for that long makes me almost sick to think I didn't take the shot sooner!
....and to top it off the new gun kicks quite a bit harder than the old 30-30...so I scoped my left eyebrow which didn't hurt at all, but on blood thinners I bled for 45 minutes!
BUT........he's still out there....and he's got an apprentice too!!
Here's to this weeks hunt!!!
Old 11-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #42
Buckladd

'Not a rookie mistake, just something that happens in the real world of deer hunting. You did the right thing.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:41 PM   #43
skillzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
'Not a rookie mistake, just something that happens in the real world of deer hunting. You did the right thing.
Thanks, I kinda realize it, but you know how you see those bucks the rest of your life..lol
I'm eagerly anticipating hitting it hard this weekend to see what we can find. I'd really like to put one in front of my sister. I'ts been three years since she started hunting, due to health issues, it's the first full season she has had to go. She's never shot a buck, would love to be there when she does!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 AM   #44
geogymn

The missed opportunities seem more memorable than the successes.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #45
wildbrookies

Nice story Skillzman! I Can feel your adrenaline! Been there many times! I really think those bigger older bucks have quite a bit of smarts and/or luck going for them,thats how they survive to get bigger..The rush is sometimes the best part of hunting. An old friend of mine once said. " First you have to get up and get in the woods, second, you have to see a deer ,then you go from there". He was a tough ,old unusual guy, whom shot a lot of big ole adk. deer,so,I always respected his words of wisdom. Theres a lot more to hunting than the kill! Wish you both luck the rest of the season! Be careful out there and make some more great memories!! Report back!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 12-01-2017 at 03:02 PM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #46
Buckladd

Anyone giving late muzzleloading a shot this weekend. We had a slam-dunk final weekend of rifle season. My cousin's wife, who just took up hunting this year, got a nice spike with pretty tall antlers. It was really cool to see her as excited as she was. She also saw a bear on Saturday and we were in one of our more rugged spots. She didn't shoot, and we're glad because an 8-pointer was in there too and we wound up dragging him off the mountain instead. We got him at 1:30 and got back to the truck just before dark. We figured we've hit our two main hunting spots pretty hard this season so this weekend we're going into a spot we haven't hunted much the past three years. I'm also off Thursday and Friday and plan to be in the woods the better part of both days. Good luck everyone!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #47
skillzman1

One last Hoorah!...
Taking Friday off and heading out to fill the freezer. Still trying to put one in front of my sister, it would be her first. I think my grandfather would be proud if we were able to do it on our own by applying what he passed on to us!
But either way, it's always good to be in the woods!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #48
Fly Rodder

Out of our camp, we ended up with eight bucks, one doe (early mz), and a smallish boar bear. Three bucks were taken on one day (the one day we got a decent snow) by six hunters (two on one drive about as far back as we hunt). Made for a long day getting them all out to the trucks. Going back to the 60s, the camp record is 5 bucks in a season and no more than two in one day. The largest buck was a decent 8 and the smallest was a spike.

The previous couple of mild winters made for a good number of animals and the mast crop this year had plenty of food on the ground. The bucks were fat and healthy even into the last week of November. I don't recall seeing a lot of buck sign compared to previous seasons, but there were a lot of animals. Additionally, there were three more bears seen during hunts and not taken (one seen during muzzleloader season was supposedly quite large).

This was my second year in a row harvesting an ADK buck, and - knock on wood - that continues. It was a fun season and it's tough to say it's over with, but the 2018 season is only ten months away!
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #49
Stillhunter

Congratulations Fly Rodder on your camps record setting season. Are you hunting in a peripheral / foothill Adirondack county or in the central Adirondacks? Some areas had more snow than others the last few winters.

Last edited by Stillhunter; 12-07-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #50
Tug Hill

Congrats to everyone, and yes I think deer numbers and harvest were up this past season. I know of several large bucks taken in the southern Adk’s, and on Tug Hill. I killed one of them, 122 2/8” gross 9 pt’er. Now we all need to hope for a mild winter to make next season even better.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #51
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Congratulations Fly Rodder on your camps record setting season. Are you hunting in a peripheral / foothill Adirondack county or in the central Adirondacks? Some areas had more snow than others the last few winters.
Southeastern ADKs. Winterkill, from what I've been told, has to do with more than just snow depth.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #52
Tug Hill

Snow depth is the primary winter killer, because it inhibits mobility ,access to food, and certain snow conditions can make winter stressed deer more susceptible to predation.

But deer, with proper thermal cover and access to water can withstand a 90 day winter. It’s when winter drags into March and April like it did a couple of years ago ,that will devastate deer herds. That’s why at least here on Tug Hill, March is the killing month.

Before the CWD scare in NY, there were many large scale winter feeding programs in the ADK’s and on Tug Hill. Whether you agree with supplementle winter feeding or not, I can state without a doubt, there were many more deer per square mile, on Tug Hill Before the feeding ban was implemented, than there are today. Reguardless of annual winter kill.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #53
dpc34

you might want to check the rules for winter feeding now....there have been some changes, has to do with how far from a road...(100yd) and no hunting on that property at all....check with your local CO....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #54
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
you might want to check the rules for winter feeding now....there have been some changes, has to do with how far from a road...(100yd) and no hunting on that property at all....check with your local CO....
Perhaps, not for long. Tightening down the feeding ban is a huge part of this:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/110938.html