Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
smr220

Most "open wood" hike

All - are there any high peak hikes that have relatively more "open wood" type ascent? I know there is nothing here even close to what there is out west - but i am sure that on a relative scale - there might be better hikes that have more of an old growth open wood less rocky/rooty type ascent?

If not in the ADKs - how about in other closer regions like Catskills, Greens, Whites, etc?
smr220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
dundee

Catskills have a lot of open woods until you reach the 3500' mark. After that it thickens up. Greens are pretty similar.
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Not much old growth but the Jay Range has a lot of wide open peaks & forests. Parts of the Dix Mtn Wilderness are a bushwhackers paradise as well. Lots of open woods in the southern Adks too.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

High peaks and open forest are generally not compatible. Forest types change around 3000-3500'.

Rocks are generally everywhere in the Adirondacks. I'm not sure you can avoid those.

Old growth forests are not always open. In fact a lot of the old growth forests in the Adirondacks are the thickest **** you could imagine.

Mature hardwood forests are what you are after, particularly those with good drainage as that limits conifer growth in the under canopy (they generally like it moist).

Northern exposures can tend to be more coniferous or the line can start at lower elevations. Some extreme areas you'll find it pretty dominant as low as 2000'. Again, drainage has a lot to do with this.

Really rocky soils with lots of erratics can promote more open forests. The southwestern Adirondacks are pretty typical of this. The most open forests I can think of are in this area but often have lots of boulders to deal with. Sparse organic soil and good drainage promotes these open canopies.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Tug Hill

There are several detached Forest Preserve lots on Tug Hill , near Osceola that have open old growth forests. Red Spruce upwards to 36” dbh and over 100’ tall, along with huge hardwoods, particularly Yellow Birch.
Contact the Tug Hill Tomorrow land trust, they do public hikes through these preserve lots.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
Wldrns

Tug Hill is good if you can avoid recent decades of beaver activity - USGS 1943 era topo maps (the most recent available for many areas) are useless for that.

Adirondack regions with glacial eskers and sand plains make for more open woods type of hiking opportunity. Try the wild forest areas of the western Adirondacks, such as the Independence River WF, Otter Creek WF, Watson's East Triangle WF, Black river WF, and others bordering the five Ponds, Pepperbox, and Ha DeRonDah Wilderness areas. The horse trails of Otter Creek and Independence river make good entry corridors, with lots of big white pines creating easy understory travel in those areas as well.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
real3175

Jay Mountain Photos below for reference, very open and a favorite hike of mine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gweil1...57685856860405
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
cd44

Most "open wood" hike

a long challenging hike with a lot of views is the Rocky Peak Ridge hike from the Rt. 9 side! VERY tough hike but very rewarding views along the whole trek and a cool ridge-line walk when you start getting close to the RPR summit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
yardsale

BC skiers are paying attention to this discussion!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
BC skiers are paying attention to this discussion!
Haha...how true, how true!
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #11
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

There are alot of open hike opportunities in the Shawnagunks which are about half an hour south of the Catskills. Lots of pigmy pines, white quartz crags and some of the most beautiful and surreal landscapes in the northeast in my opinion.

Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #12
IndLk_Brett

Boreal Fox -.

That last picture is beautiful. It reminds me a bit of McAfee Knob down south on the AT. Perhaps not quite as spectacular, but still very, very nice. I'm definitely inspired to check that area out.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote