Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Prometheus
Adrift

How are the beaver dams on the Oswegatchie this year? (2017)

How are the beaver dams and water levels on the Oswegatchie this year?

We have a trip coming up later this month but haven't had a chance to get to the ADK's yet this year.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
cuterocky
Kalie

I was there the second weekend of June and only went a little past Griffins Rapids but the beaver dams were non-existent. I had never paddled the Oswegatchie before but the person I went with said it was the highest he'd ever seen the river. I bet it hasn't changed much since we've continued to get so much rain
CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Rich Lockwood

just got back from there fri. Only 2-3 on the way to the falls. Some were partially breached although i'm sure they are fixed by now.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Prometheus
Adrift

Thank you for the replies. Wasn't sure if was going to be more or less to due the wet year.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Viking

Above the Falls

Good morning,

I have been to the falls before but have never gone beyond them. I am thinking about making that journey this fall. I have read that the going get's a bit tougher as you progress upstream. Can anyone provide any insight as to how far they have gone - maybe a site # - and what the conditions were at that point? This would be late September or October.

I am interested in travelling as far as possible as long as it makes sense for my ageing frame. Lift overs and portaging are fine as long as it doesn't become a tangled mess.

Finally, fly rod, spinning rod or both? I've got a neat little #4 weight that is great for roll casts but not sure if that would work.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Viking
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
Wldrns

in past years, while making the traverse from Lows Lake with scouts, on the upper Oswegatchie (above the falls), we lost count after crossing as many as 50+ beaver dams. Going upstream over the dams is much more difficult than going down. Some of the lesser built dams are runnable gong down, fewer so going up.

I remember one particularly difficult double log jam the beavers were working on, where there was a gap of a couple of feet between two slippery logs, over deep fast current flowing underneath. The adjacent river bank was unclimbable. We took extreme care at that site. Then, a couple of weeks later, I heard of a fatality in which a guy slipped between two logs with swift current, and he did not come up alive. I am sure it was at the same location. Be careful.

Last edited by Wldrns; 08-13-2017 at 11:31 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #7
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Wildrns is right about the beaver activity above the falls, lots. As far as the fly rod goes, the water is perfect for a 4 wt and roll casts. I never caught any big brookies in there but the fish were beautiful and plentiful.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Viking

Thank you!

I appreciate the replies - thank you.

Any recommendations on sites to shoot for or avoid?
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:27 AM   #9
Prometheus
Adrift

Just got back from our 3 night trip. Guessing there were 10 dams that required some sort of lift over between the put in and High Falls. Some higher than others. iirc there were 3 that were pretty solid and required some sort combination of help from another boat; pulling while standing on the dam, or a paddler getting out, on the way down river. The rest of them could be run.

Great trip overall and I even caught my first brook trout. just a little cold Thursday and Friday nights.