Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

DEC Closes Wakely Mountain Trail

Received this email yesterday:

DEC Closes Wakely Mountain Trail

DEC has closed the Wakely Mountain Trail immediately and until further notice due to safety concerns with the Wakely Mountain Fire Tower.

The fire tower was closed to public access in December 2016 due to structural deficiencies. The condition of the tower has worsened and it is possible the tower may collapse in heavy winds.

DEC is closing the trail to prevent injuries to visitors if the fire tower collapses.

Repairs will be undertaken as soon as possible to prevent the collapse of the fire tower.

See the story at http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...citing-safety/
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Bark Eater Too

Yeah, learned that yesterday as well. Sad. Hopefully the repairs will be successful. Arguably the highest tower in the park. It's become an increasingly popular destination. The state just did some repairs in the past several years to replace punky stair treads, etc.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
spatter1

So disappointed to hear, I was planning on going to Cedar River Flow and hiking it this weekend

Anyone have some other suggestions on some kayak camping with a fire tower in the same area? I know Pilsbury isn't too far away, but it looks like an hour drive and I would like to be in the same area that I am kayaking and camping.
spatter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
Bark Eater Too

You could camp and kayak Lake Durant and climb Blue Mountain. There are a couple of free drive in spots on the lakeshore just off the Rt. 28 highway. Just not as quiet as the Cedar River with the highway noise.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
pbermiez

Wow. Was my first firetower hike last year. Hope it can be maintained!
pbermiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Bark Eater Too

Any update on whether the DEC will repair and reopen this summer? Thanks.