Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
AvalanchePass

The 18 patch (non 46er) challenge

For some reason our family loves buying the patch after we've completed a peak. I know this may may officially qualify us as tourists but I'm not going to apologize.

On our most recent trip my wife decided to give Cascade a go. She enjoyed it but decided she wasn't looking for anything more challenging.

Most trips we'll come in on a Saturday and do a warm up hike together. Then the boys and I will do our 46er on the Sunday.

So I looked through the Mountaineer's site for non 46er peaks with patches and found 18. The 6 in Saranac Lake are a subset of these so one would also qualify for the Saranac Lake 6er patch.

The 18 patch (non 46er) challenge:
Ampersand Mountain (Saranac Lake 6er)
Baker Mountain (Saranac Lake 6er)
Baxter Mountain
Blue Mountain
Haystack Mountain (Saranac Lake 6er)
Hopkins Mountain
Hurricane Mountain
Indian Head Mountain
McKenzie Mountain (Saranac Lake 6er)
Mount Jo
Mount Van Hoevenberg
Noonmark Mountain
Owl's Head
Pitchoff Mountain
Poke-O-Moonshine
Rooster Comb
Scarface Mountain (Saranac Lake 6er)
St. Regis Mountain (Saranac Lake 6er)

Plus:
Saranac Lake 6er Website

Last edited by AvalanchePass; 03-29-2017 at 12:39 PM..
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
IndLk_Brett

They have a patch for Everest too!! That's also not an official 46er peak (although I hear the lines to the summit are horrendous..).

Seriously though - whatever gives you or your wife a bit of get up and go and helps to motivate you and your family to get out there and enjoy yourselves - have fun! My mother likes to put her pins and patches in little display cases and hang them on the wall. They can be a good conversation starter or catalyst for memories that way.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 10-24-2016 at 01:34 AM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Trail Boss

If we're making hiking lists based on available merchandise, I present to you:

The "Four Trail-Colors Challenge". Hike four ADK trails marked in red, yellow, blue, and green and then get the matching set of area rugs to commemorate your achievement.
http://store.mountaineer.com/Trail_M...p/trailrug.htm

The "USGS Benchmark Challenge". This one has an easy Adirondack version and an infinitely more difficult International version.

The ADK USGS Benchmark Challenge consists of hiking Cascade, Dix, Giant, Gothics, Marcy, and Whiteface. Upon completion you can purchase the corresponding set of USGS benchmarks.
http://store.mountaineer.com/product...sbenchmark.htm

The International version adds Aconcagua, Everest, Vinson, McKinley, etc and begs the question "There's a USGS benchmark for Aconcagua?!?"
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Ampersand is a spectacular, moderately difficult hike. I'd say it's similar in difficulty to Cascade- less elevation gain but longer.

Baker is a short, easy hike that is popular among Saranac Lake residents as a short hike for exercise or fun. Make sure you pay attention to the trail markers- the mountain is literally covered in herd paths due to high levels of use by the locals.

Baxter is relatively short and offers great views.

Blue Mountain is a harder/steeper hike, perhaps not much easier than Cascade. I would combine this one with a trip to the Adirondack Museum if you're interested in learning more about Adirondack history.

I assume they mean the Camel's Hump in VT, not the trail-less one in the Dixes. It's a very nice hike, probably about the same difficulty as Cascade (or perhaps slightly harder). It's a nice change of pace from the Adirondacks as well.

The Haystack Mountain near Saranac Lake is very steep towards the end. It provides OK views south over the High Peaks.

Hopkins gets relatively little use. I can't really comment more on it than that; I think this is the only peak on this list that I've not actually climbed.

Hurricane is probably the most spectacular peak on this list (excepting maybe Noonmark). This one is definitely a "must do."

Indian Head has spectacular views out over the Ausable Valley. Many hikers combine it with Colvin/Blake.

McKenzie is probably the hardest on this list for the least payoff. There's something like 4 or 5 false summits, and the views from the summit are limited.

Mount Jo is an easy hike with excellent views.

Mount Van Hoevenberg is similar to Mt. Jo in terms of difficulty and payoff. Relatively easy, with great views of the High Peaks.

Noonmark Mountain is up there with Hurricane for the best (IMO) of this list. It's very steep, about the same difficulty as Cascade. The views are spectacular.

There's actually a bunch of Owl's Heads, but I assume the patch is for the one near Cascade. This is a short, easy hike to a summit with decent views. The summit is also popular for novice rock climbers as there is a good spot to top-rope nearby.

Pitchoff is a spectacular hike, especially if you can spot a second car and do it as a through hike from one end to the other. There's almost non-stop views from along the ridge.

Rooster Comb is OK. It gets less use than the rest of the Great Range so the summit is almost never crowded. There's some decent views from the top.

Scarface is potentially up there with McKenzie in terms of limited payoff for the work necessary to climb it.

I would rank St. Regis as only slightly behind Hurricane and Noonmark for spectacular views. This peak is also more removed from the High Peaks than most of the rest on this list (excepting Blue Mountain), so you get to see something different (views of the northern boreal forest). I would combine this one with a trip to the Paul Smith's VIC if you're interested in learning about Adirondack ecology.

One other thought- Some of the fire towers that have been adopted by friends groups have their own patches that are available. A quick google search tells me that there are patches available for Azure, Arab, Bald (Rondaxe), and Lyon (it's a pin not a patch, but still neat). There may be patches for some of the Catskill fire tower peaks as well.

Also, just the Fire Tower Challenge in general is a great goal to work towards together as a family.

Last edited by DSettahr; 10-20-2016 at 04:47 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Hoser

Add Poke-O-Moonshine to the patches available at Mountaineer. Not able to find a Snowy anywhere
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I assume they mean the Camel's Hump in VT, not the trail-less one in the Dixes. It's a very nice, probably about the same difficulty as Cascade (or perhaps slightly harder). It's a nice change of pace from the Adirondacks as well.
OK, that makes sense.

The trail-less Camel's Hump in the Dix Range seemed kind of obscure but I thought I must be missing it's significance some how.

4083' confirms that it is the peak in VT.

So I guess it's the 17 patch challenge.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Add Poke-O-Moonshine to the patches available at Mountaineer. Not able to find a Snowy anywhere
Don't see Poke-O-Moonshine. Maybe it's just missing from the website?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
AvalanchePass

Quote:
There's actually a bunch of Owl's Heads, but I assume the patch is for the one near Cascade. This is a short, easy hike to a summit with decent views. The summit is also popular for novice rock climbers as there is a good spot to top-rope nearby.
2120' confirms that it's the one near Cascade.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #9
AvalanchePass

Thanks for taking the time to do the summary DSettahr, much appreciated.

Certainly makes the thread more valuable than I anticipated it would be.

Looking forward to working through these as a family while the boys and I tackle our 46.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
The "Four Trail-Colors Challenge". Hike four ADK trails marked in red, yellow, blue, and green and then get the matching set of area rugs to commemorate your achievement.
http://store.mountaineer.com/Trail_M...p/trailrug.htm
I believe those are intended to be be wrapped around trees with bungee cords to mark some of the more difficult herd paths.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Mount Van Hoevenberg is similar to Mt. Jo in terms of difficulty and payoff. Relatively easy, with great views of the High Peaks.
This can be combined with some history of the 1932 and 1980 Olympics if one is interested. OffOnAdventure.com has a blog entry with nice pictures.

If you don't want to climb the mountain twice you could leave a car at the Mount Van Hoevenberg Recreation Area.

We got dropped off on South Meadow and made our way back to our campground on Route 73. Passed through bobsled, cross country, and biathlon venues.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #12
Trail Boss

A rug at each end of Couchsachraga's bog would be a nice touch.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
BillyGr

Actually, if one did the 17 (not counting the one in VT) it would still be the 18 patch challenge, as you could also qualify for the Saranac Lake 6er patch.
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #14
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
Actually, if one did the 17 (not counting the one in VT) it would still be the 18 patch challenge, as you could also qualify for the Saranac Lake 6er patch.
Nice save!

I edited the main post to remove the one in VT and added the Saranac Lake 6er patch.

And with that, the 18 patch challenge is restored to it's original glory.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #15
Dave Bourque

There is also a patch for doing Shepherd's Tooth, a knob on the shoulder of Iroquois Peak. To do this hike most people bushwhack down from Iroquois to the knob and then descend through the cliffs to Cold Brook Pass (formerly called Iroquois Pass). Finding a good passage down through the cliffs can be a little tricky.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #16
Hoser

Attempting to upload a .jpg of the Poke-o-M patch.....hopefully soon.....
Old 10-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #17
Hoser

P o M patch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PoM patch.JPG (54.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #18
AvalanchePass

Strange.

Poke-O-Moonshine wasn't on the Mountaineer's website last week and now it's there. Perhaps someone there reads this forum ...

OK, added to the 18 patch challenge.

Poke-O-Moonshine thanks you for your unwavering support.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #19
Hoser

Cool, remove the Saranac 6 patch, and back to 18 right?

Anybody find a Snowy Mt patch? If somebody is reading this forum, hint hint

A place in Long Lake sells Goodnow, Owls Heads (LL not the one by Cascade) and either Coney or Goodman, but those three are slightly different, a bit smaller, and I would exclude from this grouping of 18.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #20
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

As I posted above, there's patches out there for Azure, Arab, and Bald/Rondaxe as well.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote