Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
hitmann

Something at Shelving Rock

My daughter and niece were up to the Knapp Estate (just below shelving rock) last night before dark walking down the trail that leads to the waterfall. My neice stepped in a big pile of crap and about 20 yards down the trail at the beginning of the swamp they were greeted with what they say was a blood curdeling growl or roar that made their heart stop. They backed away and walked a FAST pace back to the car. The crap was a big pile but thats all they noticed. Will a bear warn someone in that way? Just curious.....SAUSCUATCH!!!! Any input? Thanks, Tom
hitmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet
Likes to hike

I seem to rememeber seeing horse **** on the trails in this area.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
hitmann

No horse....They are pretty well versed as far as animals in the woods. I question the scat and it definitly was'nt a horse.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:33 PM   #4
Kevin
**BANNED**

"Roar"? Mountain Lion? I don't doubt they exist, but other than a bear I can't think of another animal that would "roar". I have my money on a mother bear with cubs, or an injured bear. Bear aren't out of the question in that area, lots of campsites to steal a meal.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:36 PM   #5
hitmann

They said the camping areas up there have been closed recently along the road. Sounds like they may have been following something down the trail.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Thought this might be helpful.

http://www.bear.org/Kids/Sounds.html

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
hitmann

Thanks Zac, I'll see if I can nail it down.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:51 PM   #8
Jeff

Bear or cat. Those would be my two guesses.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:57 PM   #9
Wildernessphoto

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmann
Just curious.....SAUSCUATCH!!!! Any input? Thanks, Tom
Hey Tom,
I like the SAUSCUATCH idea! let's work that angle. Here's a link to Sauscuatch sounds:
http://home.earthlink.net/~arkansasapes/id18.html

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:35 AM   #10
hitmann

Went up last night. Walked around a corner and there sat the BIG guy. He was nursing a blister...Asked me for mole skin. Said his name was Harry......Henderson I believe....
Old 10-15-2004, 09:45 AM   #11
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Said his name was Harry......Henderson I believe....
Get -3 points for the 1980s disney movie reference
Old 10-15-2004, 11:46 AM   #12
Jeff

Did you ask him to keep the scat to the woods and not the trail?
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #13
Rick
Bad Seed

Looking for him??
How about Bigfoot in New York by County
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:49 PM   #14
hitmann

WOW!!! Pretty strange because the sightings on Buck sound alot like my daughters version. She kept telling me that she had a feeling of being watched as soon as she got out of the car. The noise was nothing she had ever heard. She listened to the link Zac sent me with bear sounds and she said.. "no dad, it made my heart stop"! More of a growl or roar. May be onto something here!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #15
marcia
To the mountains!

Maybe look into Cats. I saw a Panther in Otsego County. I was staying at a hunting cabin, and we had walked down the side of the Mt. and across the stream to the road. About a 1/4 mile down the road there is a maple farm where I saw the large black animal dart into the woods at an incredible speed. I questioned what it was, not believing I just saw big cat, so I asked around. My friends grandfather who built the cabin confirmed it. He told us that they have been seen at the farm before, and something about the maple. There is no doubt in my mind that if they are in the Catskills, they are in the Adirondacks too. I am sure a big cats scream could be blood curdling.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkerd be failure than to rank with those poor spitits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory or defeat"
~~Theodore Roosevelt~~
marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #16
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcia
There is no doubt in my mind that if they are in the Catskills, they are in the Adirondacks too. I am sure a big cats scream could be blood curdling.
That's very true, however most wild cats steer clear of humans. Hell, ever try approaching a stray cat in the city? You don't, because they just run, every time. Wild cats of our size/weight or smaller do the same. We're seen, mostly because of our height, as pretty prominent and powerful creatures to most North American animals (exceptions like Grizzlies and the largest mountain lions come to mind). Doesn't mean there wasn't a startled cat or injured animal they came upon, but I'm still thinking the odds were they came across a bear and it just scared the crap out of 'em.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:54 PM   #17
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
WOW!!! Pretty strange because the sightings on Buck sound alot like my daughters version. She kept telling me that she had a feeling of being watched as soon as she got out of the car. The noise was nothing she had ever heard. She listened to the link Zac sent me with bear sounds and she said.. "no dad, it made my heart stop"! More of a growl or roar. May be onto something here!
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2987

In the right mind set, a dog's pooping on the rug means imminent danger was near... not that the dog decided to poop on the rug.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #18
miked2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmann View Post
My daughter and niece were up to the Knapp Estate (just below shelving rock) last night before dark walking down the trail that leads to the waterfall. My neice stepped in a big pile of crap and about 20 yards down the trail at the beginning of the swamp they were greeted with what they say was a blood curdeling growl or roar that made their heart stop. They backed away and walked a FAST pace back to the car. The crap was a big pile but thats all they noticed. Will a bear warn someone in that way? Just curious.....SAUSCUATCH!!!! Any input? Thanks, Tom
i will tell you it was a mountain lion. i had one come to my tent there in 1993 and i have not been back since. it growled very loud the followed that with a loud blood curldling scream it did that five times before it finally left.i laid awake till daylight and left that mourning.they can keep the free camping there.dec says no mountain lions around here i say kiss my a.. i listened to a mountain lion roar on the internet and it is exactly what i heard that night.by now there must be a good sized population of them in that area!
miked2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #19
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2016 View Post
i listened to a mountain lion roar on the internet and it is exactly what i heard that night.by now there must be a good sized population of them in that area!
I'm not questioning anyone's judgement. I'll just say I've spent a lot of time in that area throughout the year, and especially hunting season, and in more than 40 years I have never seen anything unusual such as what has been mentioned here. There are some stories, however, including from people I have no reason to doubt.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:23 AM   #20
miked2016

i also have hunted and camped in this area my whole life. but i know what is there. all i can say is that the smell of food in my cooler is what attracted the cat.bears do growl but do not follow that with a sinister roar. it is the worse noise i have ever heard in person.i had an english mastiff and a cane corso both over 160lbs neither one could growl as loud as that mountain lion.they were not with me at the time i was camping. i can say that mountain lions are very intelligent and avoid humans unless they want to take you down from behind.they also spend alot of time in trees.i know that this cat was big and pissed once it smelled me in my tent.
miked2016 is offline   Reply With Quote