Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
tenderfoot

cascade brook on Sawteeth?

Planning Columbus Day trip. Can't get into High Peaks are until around 5pm Fri evening. These options are not exactly in preference.

Option A: drive down 73 and if a spot presents itself hike into Giant washbowl, camp, do Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge. Do any of the camping areas near Giant Washbowl have privies? I think Giant's main trails will be crowded.

Option B: drive around back and approach Giant from the North Trail. Looks like deciduous forest for a while, happy hammock camping country 150' off trail. Long hike though (but hey, less crowds).

Option C: Full pack down Lake Road, Start up for Sawteeth. Am I seeing that we are into State land prior to the 3500/3000 camping restriction area? Not the 4k ban, I thought there was a 3k restriction too. Was looking here for that restriction - can't find it. Anyone familiar with that Cascade Brook area? Trying to get a sense how thick it is. A bunch of 10' evergreens not ideal for hammocks. After stringing up base camp do Sawteeth, Saddleback and basin next day? Considerable time night hiking.

Option D: Garden to JBL area. Try Basin & Saddleback from there. I think we are still ahead of icing. I can bring microspikes but would prefer to try basin & Saddleback ice free. Finding them re intimidating than Gothics (which we did in April in snow).

Any shared thoughts are most welcome. I thought about Elk Lake to Panther Gorge but we'd probably not make it off private land before sunset. OK hiking in dark, but that is one loooong trail.

I asked similar question for same weekend last year and got great advice for Dix range, which was a great trip.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Option C: Full pack down Lake Road, Start up for Sawteeth. Am I seeing that we are into State land prior to the 3500/3000 camping restriction area? Not the 4k ban, I thought there was a 3k restriction too. Was looking here for that restriction - can't find it. Anyone familiar with that Cascade Brook area? Trying to get a sense how thick it is. A bunch of 10' evergreens not ideal for hammocks. After stringing up base camp do Sawteeth, Saddleback and basin next day? Considerable time night hiking.
6 CRR-NY 190.13: In the High Peaks Wilderness Area, no person shall camp at locations which are greater than 3,500 feet in elevation but equal to or less than 4,000 feet in elevation except at a primitive tent site

Here is the Ausable Club's map of the property with the AMR/State line shown.

The Scenic trail is above 3,500 feet by the time it leaves AMR property so that's not an option. 0.5 miles up the Weld trail you leave the AMR at about 2,600 feet so that would work.

If you haven't done Sawteeth yet I highly recommend the Scenic trail. Add the night hiking and you're better off with one of the other options IMO.
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
tenderfoot

Thank you for the better tool.

CalTopo was showing here that both trails were below 3500'. I'd prefer to use the map that AMR uses - they are very gracious with letting us use their land.

I believe Fri is full moon so some walking at night might be rather scenic, but weather report shows chance of showers so it may be clouded over. And I was hoping just a short stint off of lake road to get across the state line.

That option may also not be ideal since it is out and back.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
rickhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Planning Columbus Day trip. Can't get into High Peaks are until around 5pm Fri evening. These options are not exactly in preference.

I thought about Elk Lake to Panther Gorge but we'd probably not make it off private land before sunset. OK hiking in dark, but that is one loooong trail.
Your other options sound more workable, but in case you *do* keep thinking of Panther Gorge, there is a very short part of the Elk Lake trail, just before the Pinnacle Ridge trail to Blake etc comes in, which is public, and is mature woods. Going even a little way up that trail the public part expands. Just FYI. It still would be a fair distance from the trailhead, esp. if you have to use the overflow further down the road.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
tenderfoot

"It still would be a fair distance from the trailhead"

Yes - caltopo says 4.8 miles. I would feel bad starting something so late that I may not finish and intrude upon their land. It has some ups and downs and I'm not the quickest hiker. Again, very grateful they share their land too.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
TCD

North trail to Giant. Sweet. Wonderful. Owl Head lookout. Green Mountain. KnobLock Mountain (if you are up for it). Giant Leanto. Giant. RPR.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
tgoodwin

A recent state acquisition now extends the state land to the crest of the Colvin Range at just 3.3 mi. from the TH.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
tenderfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
North trail to Giant. Sweet. Wonderful. Owl Head lookout. Green Mountain. KnobLock Mountain (if you are up for it). Giant Leanto. Giant. RPR.
With parking an issue the Giant North trail certainly is attractive. Does anyone know if Giant Lean To has a privy? Depending on moonlight that might be a motivator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
A recent state acquisition now extends the state land to the crest of the Colvin Range at just 3.3 mi. from the TH.
Is that the Casey Brook Tract?