Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Ezra

Time for another peak

a couple months ago I did my very first Adirondack hike (Avalanche Lake Mount Marcy Loop) It was "hard" yet amazing. 16.9 miles was perfect. I learned a lot from the first hike, like treating water and not freezing to death. No seriously, I slept in a Hammock, with 3 layers of tops and 1 pair pants, 2 pairs of socks and my hiking boots oh and 2 winter hats. I spent all night without a single minute of sleep, just watching the seconds go by on my apple watch wishing it was morning but it felt like an eternity, at 3 am I remembered my friend had his extra Army issued tent, so with my phone light i looked through his bag and of course i could not put it together so i threw it over my hammock lol then condensation happened lol and those little water drops got super cold lol Not sure how I managed to start climbing out of Avalanche lake area to Marcy with no sleep. Maybe i Shouldn't sleep in front of such a huge body of water.

Anyway I learned a lot, So we are now looking for a similar hike, Hard and overnight, I would like to do a couple of peaks in the area, and do all 46 someday. Any ideas? trails?

Also I am in NYC, I share a car with my mother. Is there any other way to get to a trail? Amtrak maybe? If not fine, just looking at other options as plan B.

One more thing, while climbing the tougher part of Marcy a guy zoomed passed us going down. He was super tall, slim, long limbs and made everything look so easy meanwhile we were trying not to slip or step wrong a break an ankle. Are you on here? that was incredible. Thanks!
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
Ezra

So I found Gothics via Pyramid peak including Basin and Saddleback.

Is there a place to rent canisters and other small items like the one at Adirondack Loj ?

Thanks
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
TCD

You can rent canisters at The Mountaineer

http://www.mountaineer.com/

Public transportation to the area is not great, but Adirondack Trailways bus service does come to Keene Valley

https://trailwaysny.com/
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
tenderfoot

The High Peaks Information Center at the Loj also rents canisters.

We hammock camp ADK four seasons. Did you have any 'under insulation'? Some people use a mat inside the hammock. We use 3/4 length under-quilts rated to 20 but have taken them into the single digits with a few modifications. Insulation under the hammock is required if you wish to avoid freezing. We love our underquilts.

For our New years overnight I actually had a summer weight sleeping bag pulled over the hammock and quilts pea pod style. So from inside out it was me in non-cotton long underwear, hat and socks. Loose fleece PJ's, hot water bottle, top quilt, hammock, under-quilt, light weight hammock sock, summer bag pea-pod style and than a winter tarp or lean to. Talk about layers!

It can be done. Oh, and I bring my most simple hammock suspension. Playing around with fiddly bits in cold weather is not so fun.

I have not done Basin or Saddleback yet but my research shows there is a bit of scrambling, climbing, cliff side trail(?) so make sure you have microspikes or some footwear that is grippy.

From the Loj you actually can try Wright, Algonquin & Iroquois. Rather impressive peaks. I enjoyed the Dix range from Elk Lake too this time of year.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
tenderfoot

This is our camp near John's Brook Lodge last April when we did Gothics, Armstrong & Upper Wolfjaw. Not our coldest time hammock camping.

Also, for the New Year's trip we did camp at the Loj's wilderness campsite. So it it was 3am and I was freezing the car was not far. I rate our gear comfortable down to 10F.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
So I found Gothics via Pyramid peak including Basin and Saddleback.

Is there a place to rent canisters and other small items like the one at Adirondack Loj ?

Thanks
This would be a very tough route if your overnight packs are heavier than about 20-22 lbs. I usually prefer backpacking as well, but the climbs up Pyramid and Basin (let alone the Saddleback "cliffs") could be quite difficult with a bulkier overnight pack. I'd suggest a base camp and doing day hikes to 2 peaks each day. First day, arrive VERY early at the Garden parking lot in Keene Valley (it fills up very quickly), hike in to set up camp at the designated sites near Johns Brook Lodge, or at the sites near the Ore Bed leanto. After setting up camp, take day packs up to Gothics and Pyramid, then retrace your steps back to camp. Next day, hike to Saddleback and Basin, return to camp, and pack out. These hikes are fairly tough even with just day packs, so I believe it will satisfy your criteria.

In NYC, you can rent a fairly lightweight 2 person tent from REI, if you want to share it with your friend. It might help reduce pack weight to split gear between you two. They might rent canisters too, but not sure. If you didn't use a sleeping pad the last time, it helps a lot to keep you warm at night. Also a Nalgene bottle filled with hot water (tightly closed) in your sleeping bag, and a lightweight down jacket makes a big difference.
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote