Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Fish Pond fun

This is the way it ended

Along the way there were two broken legs, a broken jaw, a 26 degree night, and sustained high winds. But it was all just fine.

This was my first trip with my carbon copy Kite, and even at 28 lbs, I wished the boat was lighter yet!!

We started out at Little Clear Pond on a postcard perfect Friday morning.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Swamp Booger

[QUOTE=stripperguy;258150]Along the way there were two broken legs, a broken jaw, a 26 degree night, and sustained high winds. But it was all just fine.

Huh?! Did I miss something?
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
sweeper

Nice pics Sg I'll be staying there in 20 days.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

[QUOTE=Swamp Booger;258152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Along the way there were two broken legs, a broken jaw, a 26 degree night, and sustained high winds. But it was all just fine.]

Huh?! Did I miss something?
Whatever you do, don't pick on the Carbon Copy...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

The mile and a half paddle across Little Clear went by quickly.
As did the .4 mile carry. Soon enough, we were at the familiar boardwalk on St Regis Pond.

We headed out on St Regis Pond, towards the western arm. The view towards the pond from the boardwalk took me back to 1978, when MDB and I celebrated our first anniversary with a trip there!

Old 05-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #6
sweeper

I think we are going to get the never ending story in bit and fits, thankfully I have a bowl of popcorn.

When we were at the end of that boardwalk last there were 4 lads who had just graduated from some college. They had broken a paddle crossing Clear, one of the canoes, with 3-4" of rocker had a hole in it, the cane seats were broken and enough mold on it to scare a ranger. The fifth member of group fail to show up and of course he had the tent. By the time they got all their gear to the end of the carry they had 3 cases of PBR, a 1/2 gallon of Black Velvet, 2 boxes of Wine and a large plastic with enough Chef Boyardee to fill a thunder box, one way or the other! They asked us where the Leanto was, we headed towards Green Pond.

But Continue SG.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

We did meet two dudes with a 16 foot plastic bruisewater...they were dragging it fully loaded along the carry. One of them commented that it was so much easier to drag than to carry. I asked if it was also easier going uphill!

We got to the fish barrier dam is short order. By now the winds had picked up quite a bit, but we were sheltered in the W. arm.

Knowing that the outlet was fully navigable, we scooted around the dam.

Soon enough, we were paddling down the outlet, in what I thought would be the highlight of the trip. We counted five beaver dams, only two of which had an actual drop to them. All were easily and enjoyably run.

Last edited by stripperguy; 05-03-2017 at 08:26 AM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
Rich Lockwood

is the broken, homemade cart still on the carry trail from little clear to st regis pond?
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
We did meet two dudes with a 16 foot plastic bruisewater...they were dragging it fully loaded along the carry. One of them commented that it was so much easier to drag than to carry. I asked if it was also easier going uphill!

This is common sight in those parts. It seems every time I am in SRCA I see someone dragging a boat. Trail maintenance I guess...

I did find it WAS easier to drag, or at least two-hand carry (if you have a partner) up the really steep eskers of some of those ponds. This just a short distance though up the really steep 30-45 sections where carrying overhead had you tilting the boat so much you'd slide or wobble backward with each step. Or smash the bow into the earth and bounce backward...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

The old time Adirondackers would chuckle at your antics.
A board walk between ponds???
And you insist for "wilderness"??

Jim

Last edited by Hard Scrabble; 05-02-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Nice photos Mike,
Looks like a fun trip.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Thank you Justin, et al...
Now, where were we????

Oh yeah, we paddled the outlet of St Regis non stop (almost) to Ochre Pond.
Once on Ochre, we looked for the spur trail to the Fish Pond Truck Trail. Try as we might, from the water, there was nary a sign of it. Even with bare trees, we couldn't make out any semblance of a trail. So, we paddled to the other side of Ochre to the Mud Pond carry, hickoryskier promptly sunk to his knee, and nearly lost a boot!
OK, the carry to Mud would be out, we decided to look a little harder for the spur trail. I knew it would be going up a minor drainage, so we landed our boats and searched, expecting to just bushwhack the .2 miles. Soon enough we spotted some slashed trees, and evidence of chainsaw cut deadfalls. And then, nearly to the truck trail, we spotted a single lonely marker.

Here's the start of the official carry trail

And here's the other, clearly marked end

From the spur trail junction to Fish Pond was another 1.3 mile carry, with enough ups and downs to remind you of your load. By now it was plenty warm out, and we worked up quite a lather.

The wind was howling by now, and Fish Pond was whipped into a frenzy. Who would have thought that such a tiny pond could have whitecaps! Anyway, both lean to's were taken. We checked out a few other sites before deciding to take the site along the carry to Little Fish Pond. This was the same site that we stayed at 15 years ago. My son and nephew were adamant that we stay on that same site.

On the way to that site, we paddled by those impressive cliffs at the far end, we would definitely have to check those out.
Hmmm, what else? Oh yeah, the broken legs and broken jaw...
Old 05-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #13
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
is the broken, homemade cart still on the carry trail from little clear to st regis pond?
Just saw this, Rich.
I didn't notice one, I'll have to ask the guys if any of them noticed it.

OK, broken legs, that's right, plural, meaning two.

But before I go into that, I want to mention my new chair. After studying Old Coach's Helinox, and realizing it would cost too much to build one, I bought a Helinox Chair One for what I thought was a decent price, $80, no tax, no shipping. Well, as I'm setting it up to endless ridicule, our South African buddy (coolest accent ever) pulls out his Helinox knock off, $27 on Amazon!!
We place the chairs side by side, they sure look identical. Of course this leads to more ridicule.

Well, as the evening progressed past dinner, we sat around a warm campfire and our buddy on the fake Helinox seemed to be sinking lower and lower.
He stands up and inspects his chair to find one leg bent at an awkward angle. His attempt to straighten the leg resulted in the first fracture!

To avoid cutting the elastic cord that holds all the legs together, he borrows my nephews brand new Gerber multi tool. The plan is to use the pliers to fracture the short piece of broken leg and remove it. This resulted in the broken jaw...on the pliers.

At least now it was easier to tell the chairs apart!

Sometime later that evening, you just know what's gonna happen. Sure enough, buddy bends, then fractures the other leg! At least he's not sitting crooked any more.

I have to back up for a moment, dinner was provided courtesy of Kelly, Kettle that is. Between the home dried meals and snacks, and the Kelly Kettle, it has become just too easy. These things boil water faster than any other fuel stove I have ever used!

Old 05-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #14
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Next morning we spent quite a bit of time moaning about the wind. It was relentless, and really made for lousy paddling. But at least those cliff were close by. We packed up a few snacks and headed over.

The jumble of sloughed off boulders was impressive and intimidating. Some of the chunks were bigger than a house! Reminded me of a cross between French Louie's cave and Chimney Mt. There were numerous ice formations still hanging in from winter. And plenty of spots to trip and twist a leg. We played around there for half a day. All agreed, it was the highlight of the trip.

I was hoping for better views from the top, but I guess you can't have everything!

We did see Trillium and Dutchman's Breeches in bloom.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Saturday night was fairly cold, I thought. One of the guys mistakenly thought it would have been in the high 40's at night. He slept under a tarp, and had only a fleece bag liner for warmth. Later, I found out it had been 26 F in Saranac Lake, probably the same for us. Needless to say, the fleece liner didn't work out so well, even with hot rocks from the fire for additional warmth.
While eating breakfast, we noticed a wind shift and marked drop in temperature. So we packed up quickly and headed towards home.

One last look before I tore down my tent.

And that was that! We packed up, bundled up and headed out.

Along the truck trail back to St Regis, we had heavy rain turning to sleet. It actually gets kind of loud under the canoe! We paused for a breather at the fish barrier dam, then continued through the rain towards the carry to Little Clear.

The rest of the way was too wet to take many photos, but my rain gear did its job.

All in all it was a great time, with some great laughs and tons of memories to add to the pile. The carbon copy Kite performed flawlessly, and there were no surprises with any other boats or gear (except for that fake Helinox and the broken jaw Gerber)
Everyone is now itching for another trip...me too!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #16
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Looks like a fun trip! We spent Saturday battling the wind on Round Lake. Little Tupper was not an option in those winds. It was a bit nippy Sunday morning there too!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #17
GreenFrog
Amphibian

Looked like a good trip out.. making the best of it. thanks for sharing it.
GreenFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Cool report Mike!
I like the continuing, multi-post, thread report approach.
Keeps a viewer interested to see what may be posted next.
Nicely done!
Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #19
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Cool report Mike!
I like the continuing, multi-post, thread report approach.
Keeps a viewer interested to see what may be posted next.
Nicely done!
I wasn't sure about the broken legs teaser...
I'm waiting for the videos from one of the guys. He had a small drone and got some impressive photos and videos until the thing went rogue over our heads while paddling the outlet of St Regis.

My nephew set up a shared drive for us to deposit our photos and videos. He has some interesting video clips.
Let's see if you can view them.

Try this link
Old 05-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #20
Justin
Moving along

Quote:

My nephew set up a shared drive for us to deposit our photos and videos. He has some interesting video clips.
Let's see if you can view them.

Try this link
Photos look good, but unfortunately I'm unable to get Michael's videos to play.