Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Rich Lockwood

Camping at Boreas Ponds

I know there are probably no designated campsites yet, but is 150' camping allowed.
Thanks, Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
ADKJoe

Wish I had the answer!

I was wondering that myself. I plan to visit Boreas Ponds first week in October and tow my canoe in with a mountain bike. Not sure what will happen between now and then with designation?

Joe
Old 03-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
LynnLynn56

We camped for four days last fall. We camped 150' or more, took three - four hours of stumbling through the woods to find a spot for two single tents. Lots of thick, wet, rocky, and steep. Only looked on First, Second, and towards third ponds. Good luck.
LynnLynn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnLynn56 View Post
We camped for four days last fall. We camped 150' or more, took three - four hours of stumbling through the woods to find a spot for two single tents. Lots of thick, wet, rocky, and steep.
That is precisely the reason I went to hammock camping several years ago. No more thrashing around looking for a fairly clear open spot to set up even a tiny solo tent. Now I can find a suitable spot with nicely spaced trees in only a minute or two almost anywhere I may go. Set up sleeping space and camp over brush, rocks, uneven hummocks, on steep hillside slopes, or even in a wet swamp, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
Buckladd

Yes, standard rules apply:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/107504.html

Best spot, unless it's marked "No Camping" might be where the former lodge was.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
LynnLynn56

The road to the lodge area was posted no access but nothing from the lake? Views are gorgeous from the old lodge site. The area looked like it had been graded, seeded, and straw.

I assume the old lodge area would be a possible future camping or day use area far enough from the water and has views.
LynnLynn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
Justin

I may have posted this somewhere else earlier, but...

Back in early May '16 a friend & I found an old, faint trail leading to the remains of an old campsite located near the tip of the large peninsula on the south shore of Second Pond. Here we found an old wood stove, a few old bottles, cans, bowls, an old leather shoe, and even an old well in the woods nearby. We camped just inland from these remains near an old fire pit about 50 steps (25 Justin paces as he tried to gage the distance) from shore. We found just enough room for a few more tents in between the trees further inland when we returned with canoes and a larger group in October '16.

The old faint trail leading to the site turns left from the main road at about .5 mile east of the outlet, and is very easy to miss if you're not looking for it. IIRC there's a blue paint marker on a tree to the left of the roadway just before the turn. The path basically follows the ridgeline the whole way, but is very hard to locate in spots along the way requiring some bushwhacking.
There's a very nice view north toward the Great Range from shore just a short bushwhack east of the campsite...

Last edited by Justin; 04-05-2017 at 10:17 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
So what you're saying is that it's technically an illegal campsite since it's too close to the water.
Maybe not if "pace" is defined correctly. Technically a "pace" is a single count each time your right (or left) foot touches the ground while walking naturally, not a count for each step. For most people, covering 100 meters takes between 60-70 paces. So 50 paces (50/65 x100 meters) would be more than 200 feet.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
Wldrns

So his "paces" were not true paces.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
Justin

Ha..

Dear Nit-Pickers,
Just for the record.
I'll admit. I counted exactly 48 steps, (roughly 3 feet for my stride when I'm trying to pace out an approximate distance) to about the edge of the area where we had gathered. 48 x 3 = 144.
Center would've been closer to 150, and all of our tents were well beyond 150. The old camp remains (obvious signs of past human camping activity), were a little closer to shore near the tip.

- Justin
Old 04-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
Rich Lockwood

measuring

I 150' camp a lot, and for my peace of mind carry a 150' string to measure. A ranger once questioned my location and I got the string out to measure, he said never mind. I did once thrash 150 up into the jing weeds after a hard day and set up my hammock. Then I walked a little beyond camp to relive myself and saw that I had almost crossed a peninsula and was real close to the water. I stayed there.
Turtle
Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #13
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
So his "paces" were not true paces.
I edited my post, sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #14
Justin

Quote:
So what you're saying is that it's technically an illegal campsite since it's too close to the water.
Just to clarify...
Yes, the old campsite remains are indeed too close to the water edge to be a legal campsite. Very thick in there too. Perhaps many years ago it was a differnet story.
We were pretty happy & comfortable with what we found & decided as the next best option.
I'm fairly confident that this old trail & campsite area will eventually be officially recognized & marked once the classification & UMP are finalized.
After all, I do remember reading about a proposal to build a lean-to near this old camp site area, however, that I do not support.

Last edited by Justin; 04-05-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Old 04-06-2017, 06:07 AM   #15
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just to clarify...
Yes, the old campsite remains are indeed too close to the water edge to be a legal campsite. Very thick in there too. Perhaps many years ago it was a differnet story.
We were pretty happy & comfortable with what we found & decided as the next best option.
I'm fairly confident that this old trail & campsite area will eventually be officially recognized & marked once the classification & UMP are finalized.
After all, I do remember reading about a proposal to build a lean-to near this old camp site area, however, that I do not support.
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a stir - I was just joking around. Justin, it was an off the cuff comment - I was trying to be amusing and failed. In retrospect, I shouldn't have made it. I apologize. You are one of the most conscientious campers on here, and I didn't mean to make it sound like you were breaking rules or anything.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 04-06-2017 at 06:28 AM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #16
Justin

Thanks Johnny V.
No worries bro. I knew that you were just fooling around. I was also just fooling around with my nit picker comment, and I just wanted to clarfiy. My initial post may have made it sound as if we camped exactly where the old camp remains were.

If anyone would care for more details and/or a map of the route please feel free to shoot me a pm. Take care.

- Justin

Last edited by Justin; 04-06-2017 at 07:40 AM..
Old 04-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #17
Wldrns

And I only mentioned the definition of pace because I teach a Land Navigation course for NY State law enforcement and SAR agencies. As much as I personally don't particularly care for it, measuring distance by pace count is in the syllabus (originally brought in from the Army Land Nav manual). But it does work well for relatively short distances. Most people will start out thinking a pace counts every foot step.

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-06-2017 at 09:12 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #18
Justin

Quote:
...I have camped there...
Oh yeah, Johnny...
I meant to ask you...
Did you ever write a blog post about your trip to Boreas Ponds?
I always enjoy your stories.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #19
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Oh yeah, Johnny...
I meant to ask you...
Did you ever write a blog post about your trip to Boreas Ponds?
I always enjoy your stories.
I started one, but haven't finished it yet It involves a dumb decision on my part, so maybe now I have some incentive...
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #20
Rich Lockwood

pacing

When I was younger and on clear level ground, pacing was surprisingly accurate once I determined what my pace distance was. Now in geezerhood it's probable shorter, besides most 150' campsites I have used are either real steep to get to or real rough and overgrown-pacing would be useless.
Turtle