Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
Ghjhero

Looking to get Lost

Ok not actually lost haha. I'm looking for suggestions about long hikes around 15 miles or more involving a High Peak that take you into some really isolated areas far from civilization that are seldom travelled. I want to feel as if I'm really lost in the wilderness. Any input is welcome!
Ghjhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

The western high peaks are pretty remote - come in from Coreys, work your way down towards Duck Hole. Lots of branches and routes possible there, you could do Allen, or the Santantonis/Sewards. The trails are muddier, but less crowded.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Wldrns

Not the high peaks, but if you want to be remote and feel lost (and maybe actually be), try the Pepperbox Wilderness, adjoining the 5 Ponds Wilderness. This has long been my favorite remote area to travel. Going far off trail here will really test (and dramatically improve) your backcountry navigation skills.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Terasec

to avoid people
i would avoid high peaks trails, and instead hit wilderness areas near the high peaks that often have views of the peaks themselves
also avoid weekend hiking, instead hike weekday instead
5 ponds is a good area, also a lesser visited area that borders 5 ponds is independence river Wilderness, very rarely do i come across people there
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Ghjhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
The western high peaks are pretty remote - come in from Coreys, work your way down towards Duck Hole. Lots of branches and routes possible there, you could do Allen, or the Santantonis/Sewards. The trails are muddier, but less crowded.
Great i will check those out thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Not the high peaks, but if you want to be remote and feel lost (and maybe actually be), try the Pepperbox Wilderness, adjoining the 5 Ponds Wilderness. This has long been my favorite remote area to travel. Going far off trail here will really test (and dramatically improve) your backcountry navigation skills.
Where is that in the Adirondacks? I dont believe ive heard of that area before. I've also never really bushwacked or left established trails before. What are the beginner basics for going off trail like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
to avoid people
i would avoid high peaks trails, and instead hit wilderness areas near the high peaks that often have views of the peaks themselves
also avoid weekend hiking, instead hike weekday instead
5 ponds is a good area, also a lesser visited area that borders 5 ponds is independence river Wilderness, very rarely do i come across people there
The reason I asked for a high peak is because I like to feel that i'm heading to a discernible goal for each hike I do. I am open to other remote destinations known to few that are worth the view.
Ghjhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghjhero View Post
Where is that in the Adirondacks? I dont believe ive heard of that area before. I've also never really bushwacked or left established trails before. What are the beginner basics for going off trail like that?
The Pepperbox and 5 Ponds and Independence River are in the relative lowlands of the western adirondacks. Elevations and views are limited compared to the eastern mountains, but there is still much to see with many ponds and streams and deep ravines. If you can find Stillwater Reservoir, it is the southern access to the PBox and 5Ponds. All 3 wilderness regions can be accessed from the Lowville/Lewis County area. A google search will tell you much more. If you have no prior off-trail backcountry navigation skills, I wouldn't recommend heading out cold in these areas until you get some practice first. The Adiorondack Mountain Club often offers basic Land Navigation courses. Sometimes area SAR teams will also offer some training. Or you can teach yourself as I did, a little at a time, gaining skill and confidence before you go in as deep as you like. You will gain a great sense of accomplishment without getting "lost". Tread lightly at first or my SAR team will com a-lookin'.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

If you camped out on the Opalescent River, you'd see relatively few other people. The stretch of the Opalescent River Trail between Flowed Lands and the start of the Allen herd path gets very little use. Off the top of my head, there's one designated tent site on the river (actually an old lean-to site). From here you could climb Allen for some OK (not great) views. Or you could head north past Lake Colden for awesome views on peaks like Algonquin, Colden, Marcy, or Skylight (but you'd also end up sharing those summits with the crowds).

Another option would be the Panther Gorge approach to Mt. Marcy, Mt. Skylight, or Haystack Mountain. Panther Gorge gets light to moderate overnight use, and has 1 lean-to and 1 designated tent site. Again, you'd still encounter crowds on the summits, though.

The approach to Rocky Peak Ridge from New Russia also gets light use. You need to be aware, however, that this is an extremely rugged trail and one that requires a significant amount of fitness, especially if one plans to hike it with an overnight pack. There's also very limited options for tenting until you reach the designated tent site at Lake Mary Louise, not far from the summit of Rocky Peak Ridge. If you don't yet have a lot of experience in hiking and backpacking in the High Peaks, this is probably an itinerary that you should work up to through doing trips of intermediate difficulty first.

If you're able to, you could try visiting the High Peaks mid-week for your trip. You'd still see other hikers, but the crowds just about anywhere would be far diminished in comparison to the weekends.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Terasec

if you plan on hiking less popular trails i recommend a good trail map of the area and some basic navigating skills,
the less popular trails are not as well maintained with many sections barely recognizable as a trail, and trail markers harder and harder to spot
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote