Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
ndru

Water Levels in the St. Regis Canoe Area ??

Hey all, just checking in to see if anyone has been up in the SRCA recently and could give me a clue as to what to expect from the water levels right now?

I'm planning a short sweet trip this weekend with a friend who is new to the area. Probably just going to go up Little Clear over the portage to St. Regis Pond and set up camp at one of the designated sites (I had back surgery 2 months ago and need to keep it simple here).

Thanks in advance!
ndru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Lots of water everywhere in the Adks. and more rain before the weekend. Was up last M-W and there were places that have nice sandy beaches that were under water. Portages from St Regis Pond through to Fish Pond more muddy than usual, coming back took the fire road back to St Regis Pond
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
ndru

Yeah, I figured as much. As long as I can get through the Little Clear -> St. Regis portage I'll be fine. Not even gonna consider going towards Ochre/Fish Pond area right now in my condition.

Just curious, was the fire road muddy as well?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
coldfeet

Hey ndru, was checking here also because I'm packed for our Friday trip to do most of the 9 carries. Buddy and me are just chilling and relaxing with a bit of fishing up there. Might just do a few carries and loop back to car. I don't have the route memorized but basically going in the clockwise direction. We are travelling with a Placid reddish Rapidfire and a 12ft classic Hornbeck. Give a shout when nearby.
Side note, we just came back from the 1000 islands and the water level is extremely high. Folks docks are under 5ft of water. My nephew in law tells me they haven't seen it this high in at least 30 years. I heard the Great Lakes are 12" above normal.
Talk care.
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
ndru

9 carries is fun. especially with a solo canoe, but it's going to be a while before i can truly "carry" anything again. hopefully by next summer.

we've been overdue for a rainy summer, and man are we getting one. i've heard a lot of stories from the great lakes, and about the high peaks streams/brooks, but wasn't sure what to expect in the SRCA. i figured at the very least the landings would be flooded.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #6
bluequill

As CY stated everything is very high. Paddled Raquette (Axton/Crusher) and that was at spring snowmelt levels. Today at Lows it was the highest I have ever seen it. I paddled up the Horseshoe outlet to Horseshoe going over 4 beaver dams without getting out of the boat. Fun going back down!
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #7
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

No problem from Little Clear to St Regis Pond .
On a positive note, 2 months after back surgery and you are able to do a trip like this is a good sign, just think where you'll by next year at this time.

John M
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
solve4x
Thankful Every Day!

Did the 9 carries last week, trails not bad at all considering the season. Got 2 inches of rain just before we headed form Fish to Ochre. Took the esker trail (not Mud pond) which was beautiful. Touch getting canoe into Ochre...stepping stones under water are know canoe obstacles. My son log rolled while lining the canoe out, I bush whacked to the pond. Only tough part of the whole trip. Have fun!!
Scott
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." Matthew 10:29 "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."
Luke 12:7
solve4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
ndru

as it turns out, water levels were fairly high. no beach at little clear. hatchery brook is all the way up to the bridge that it flows under (in july?!). st regis pond was fairly normal though. i believe the damn at the western end is probably helping any extra water just spill over from that lake.

rainstorms early saturday seemed to chase a lot of people away. deer flies were a force to be reckoned with on little clear and mosquitos were present over the portage, but i've seen worse from them.

was my first time using a canoe cart and i hated it. haha. would much rather just pick the thing up and be done with it, but... doctor's orders and all.

overall it was a good short trip, and it felt good to be back!