Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
jessdrone

Best way to climb haystack

What are your favorite ways to climb haystack?
jessdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

I Heart Haystack

From a base camp at Panther Gorge, combined with Marcy, Skylight, and Gray.
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
tenderfoot

And what wold your fav trail-head be for getting to Panther Gorge? Long walk from Elka Lake? From Flowed Lands? Heart Lake?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
And what wold your fav trail-head be for getting to Panther Gorge? Long walk from Elka Lake? From Flowed Lands? Heart Lake?
I actually enjoy the hike up from Elk Lake, though taking the route from Upper Works is a close second. I'm thinking of doing just that as part of a backpack / base camp trip going from UW to PG (with a stop at Cliff/Redfield along the way), then down Bartlett Ridge and up the Elevator Shaft to Colvin and out Lake Road.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Neil
Kayak-46

Having done Haystack every way possible numerous times each, my preferred route for a day-hike is from the High Peaks Info Center. Admittedly, there is the psychological (and physiological) burden of re-climbing those pesky 700 feet back up to the Phelps-Van Ho junction but I prefer that to the very long hike back out to the Garden. Also, since you are right there at the junction you can always scoot up Marcy for an added bonus.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #6
daft jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmonster View Post
From a base camp at Panther Gorge, combined with Marcy, Skylight, and Gray.
debmonster, I'm planning to do this set, but coming from Colden. Gray->Skylight->Haystack->Marcy->Loj, so I'd get the full traverse of Haystack, but only the north side of Marcy x2. Am I missing much by not doing the south ascent of Marcy via Schofield Cobble?
daft jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #7
dundee

To me, the hike from Elk Lake is BORING!!! However, there is the great section of above treeline hiking past the LT at Panther Gorge.

The trip from the Garden or from Marcy includes that wonderful view from Little Haystack.

Take your pick, either way is long. Some dull parts on each, but the end result is great.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft jules View Post
debmonster, I'm planning to do this set, but coming from Colden. Gray->Skylight->Haystack->Marcy->Loj, so I'd get the full traverse of Haystack, but only the north side of Marcy x2. Am I missing much by not doing the south ascent of Marcy via Schofield Cobble?
The climb from Schofield Cobble to Marcy is all open terrain with bare rock and scrub; every direction offers something interesting to see. If you've hiked Algonquin's south side, it's like that but more. One of my favorite places in the High Peaks.

The climb from Bartlett Ridge to Haystack is notable for its steepness. It's very rugged but does not traverse open terrain (i.e. it is flanked by woods). Only the top end of the trail emerges onto open, bare rock. I've been up and down this challenging route and I think it's well worth the visit ... but I still prefer the south side of Marcy.

I assume you know that you lose/regain a crapton of elevation between Skylight and Haystack by way of Panther Gorge. Marcy, Skylight, and Gray is considered by many to be a challenging day-hike. Adding Haystack (by way of Panther Gorge) really ups the ante.

If you were not aware of this significant loss/regain, I offer you this alternative route:

Gray, Skylight, Marcy, and Haystack.

When you're standing on Haystack, you have the option of returning via the Loj by backtracking to the VanHoevenberg/Phelps junction (north of Marcy) or descending into the bowels of Panther Gorge, climbing up to Four Corners, then continuing on to the Loj via Lake Arnold or Avy Pass (my feet hurt while writing this).

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Gray, Skylight, Marcy, and Haystack.
When you're standing on Haystack, you have the option of returning via the Loj by backtracking to the VanHoevenberg/Phelps junction (north of Marcy) or descending into the bowels of Panther Gorge, climbing up to Four Corners, then continuing on to the Loj via Lake Arnold or Avy Pass
That would be my pick...
I would also suggest doing this route on young legs....
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #10
Neil
Kayak-46

Haystack to Panther Gorge = about 1700' of elevation loss, 2/3 of which is very steep. Nothing wrong with that, unless of course you're a pair of knees.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #11
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft jules View Post
Since you're starting/ending from the north, I totally agree with Trail Boss' route recommendation and will second the idea to enjoy Schofield Cobble on your way up from Skylight. It's a very cool and unique place. But I love the rugged approach from the south side of Haystack too, so maybe you should return another time to enjoy that as well.

As you can tell by the many comments about the elevation loss from Sky to PG, it probably only makes sense to include Panther Gorge if you're starting/ending there. The elevation loss at the end of the day didn't bother me much, but it's probably because we knew that we were on our way "home" to camp and dunk our feet in the refreshingly cold stream!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #12
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Haystack to Panther Gorge = about 1700' of elevation loss, 2/3 of which is very steep. Nothing wrong with that, unless of course you're a pair of knees.
Yes, another reason why I prefer to go UP from PG to Ha/Ma.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #13
daft jules

Makes sense, thanks all!
I had noted the significant elevation change down and back out of Panther Gorge, but I think I may have been underestimating its implications..
daft jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #14
Ghjhero

Looking to hike Haystack this August by way of parking at Gardens-->Haystack-->Basin-->Saddleback then back to the car at Gardens.
Ghjhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #15
jensaito

I started my walk to Haystack from Honister Hause, initially walking up the steep track at the back of the car park. When you get up to the mine workings, then the rest of the walk is almost flat. I was exited by amazing views of the surrounding countryside, including two lakes and views of Green Gable, Great Gable and a multitude of other fells. I continued my trip and walked across to Green Gable, then Great Gable before walking down 'Windy Gap' and then back to Honister Hause.
jensaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #16
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensaito View Post
I started my walk to Haystack from Honister Hause, initially walking up the steep track at the back of the car park. When you get up to the mine workings, then the rest of the walk is almost flat. I was exited by amazing views of the surrounding countryside, including two lakes and views of Green Gable, Great Gable and a multitude of other fells. I continued my trip and walked across to Green Gable, then Great Gable before walking down 'Windy Gap' and then back to Honister Hause.
Um, what?
CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #17
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensaito View Post
I started my walk to Haystack from Honister Hause ...

http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walk-1065-introduction

The word "fells" tipped me off. The UK is a long way from the Adirondacks!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #18
jtcohen1964

Question about Blue Connector trail at top of Johns Brook Valley

I am writing to see if anyone can tell me something about the Blue trail that connects the Phelps trail at the top of the Johns Brook valley to the Yellow trail that heads to the top of Haystack. The ADK trail guide (14th Ed, p. 43) describes the west end of that connection as a "nearly vertical pitch". My question is - how bad is it? I believe I have been on that trail before, but that was 41 years ago. Is this the best way up Haystack for a couple of 50-somethings closing in on the Forty-Six (my wife's first time and my second)? Thanks.
jtcohen1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:18 AM   #19
Ghjhero

Finally going up there for my hike this week! Driving up tomorrow and hiking Wednesday. Weather looks slightly iffy, but hopefully the worst of it will hold off for us.
Ghjhero is offline   Reply With Quote