Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
daft jules

Advice on a 7 summit 2 day weekend

Hi All,
I'm planning a solo outing to the high peaks, probably the weekend of July 8th (hope that's on the right side of Independence Day to avoid the biggest swarms..?) and looking to get a little validation and/or advice. This is training for a hike I have in August that is 80mi and 20k ft ascent in 7 days at high elevation (9-13k), so I'm looking to make this training weekend tough. So far my only experience in the Adirondacks is a slow jaunt up Noonmark and I'm excited to take in more!

Currently my plan is (by the most direct trails):
Loj->Algonquin->Iroquois->Colden->Gray->Skylight->Marcy->Haystack->Loj
I'm planning to camp by the intersection of Lake Arnold Trail and Mount Marcy Trail. If my math is right, that makes for a first day of 10.8mi and 5,250ft ascent and a second day of 13.8mi and 4,000ft ascent.

I'll be carrying a pack of around 35lbs, I'm 27 and pretty nimble, and I'm basically looking to pack as much of the best (and highest) the high peaks has to offer into these 2 days! Fingers crossed for good weather, but unless it's genuinely dangerous, I'll be going regardless.

Any suggestions, reality checks, tips, or comments? I'll be prepared to bail early if needed, but if things go according to plan, I think I should have a bit of room to work with. If I'm passing near something worth a small detour or adjustment of route, I'd love to know! I can't decide about Wright Peak..

Much thanks, including to those who already gave me some great advice in the other thread about Haystack.
daft jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
Trail Boss

Your goal is to have a challenging "training hike" and I feel the itinerary will definitely give you a workout.

Your route leaves you with many options to improvise should you feel under/overwhelmed by the itinerary. Always good to have options. For example, there are two designated campsites at Lake Arnold should you decide to stop there on day 1 instead of continuing to the Feldspar Lean-to area. Don't forget that there can be a very wet stretch of trail between Lake Arnold and Feldspar Lean-to.

Map: https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#...4.1219!-73.948
Good luck!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
daft jules

Lots of great advice Trail Boss! Thanks for the heads up on that wet section of trail (and great gif). If it's starting to get late I'll camp at Lake Arnold as you suggest.
daft jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Ghjhero

I am thinking of doing at least somewhat of your trail in early August. Probably the Loj->Colden->Iroquois->Algonquin->Wright loop. However I am going with a friend and he suggested we camp at a lean to as you are thinking of. Aside from sites at Lake Arnold do you know of other lean tos we could stay at if we decide to press further south or east for a second day?
Ghjhero is offline   Reply With Quote