Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
sukigraybaby
**BANNED**

ff

ff

Last edited by sukigraybaby; 04-27-2012 at 01:14 PM..
sukigraybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Limekiln

Garmin pretty much leads the way in GPS's right now. I'd do some research and then go to a store where they'll let you take them outside and play with them.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
JJW

sukigraybaby,

Here are few GPS websites I like.

http://gpsinformation.net/

http://forums.gpsreview.net/

http://gpstracklog.com/

Regards,
John
JJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
bswiz

I recently bought a Garmin eTrex 20 and am really liking it so far. I got it on sale a few months back for around $175. The eTrex 30 adds a few things like electronic compass and (if I recall) a barometer, features I didn't need.

Pros: Locks onto satellites super fast, way faster than my old Magellan SporTrak. Uses the Russian GLONASS satellites in addition to the regular US GPS sats. No touchscreen (could be a con for some) so no worries about using it with gloves on. Can upload free maps found online into the unit (check out www.gpsfiledepot.com). Cool geocaching features. Battery life really good so far. I've had the batteries in since probably January - have used it for maybe a total of 15 hours (guessing) and battery indicator still shows 100%, which seems hard to believe, actually.

Cons: Screen is a bit small. Scrolling around the map isn't very fast, the unit needs a second or so to 'catch up' and redraw the map.

My main use is to record track of the hikes I go on, sometimes downloading waypoints in advance so I know I'm heading in the right direction or haven't missed a trail junction.
bswiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Limekiln

I've had 3 Garmins since I bought my first in the late 1990's. I've never had a problem with any of them, hardware or software. Although I did lose one...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukigraybaby View Post
I now can say I should be able to approach 8 hours of straight GPS tracking
It is good that you have found a solution to meet your expected needs with a single tool that works for you. Ask yourself what your real plans are for its use and situations you may find yourself in while hiking. But then please don't forget to prepare and plan for what happens if you should exceed those 8 hours due to unexpected circumstances and you find yourself needing to rely on alternate methods and tools that you may or may not have.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
bswiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukigraybaby View Post
The most life I could get before was a little over 3 hours before I was left with less than 5% battery life.
I don't know if this is possible on the iPhone, but on my Android phone, I can put it in airplane mode and the GPS still functions. So that's a good way to extend battery life. The downside is of course the maps won't update as you move (unless your app allows map downloading in advance).
bswiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
rdl

I just read a review of iPhone GPS apps - I have the link on my other computer and I'll post it in the morning. One thing I remember from the review is that on the iPhone the phone feature can be turned off, which saves battery life, but only with AT&T. Verizon, for whatever reason, does not allow the phone feature to be turned off.

Last edited by rdl; 03-21-2012 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
rdl

Link I mentioned previously: http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

How to use your iPhone 4 as a GPS mapping device...
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Please see my post in the classifieds section here. I may have something of interest for you at a very reasonable price.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote