Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
bbowen
Moose Photographer

<2 mile (1way) hikes w/water & campsite

A friend and I would like to spend a night or two in a primitive camp in the Northern part of the park, like High Peaks or north.

Neither of us is in terrific shape so we'd like to keep the hike in relatively easy and less than 2 miles one way. We'd camp a night or two then hike out. We prefer a place near a lake or pond. And something that isn't swamped with people ie Fish Creek.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--Ben
bbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Hey didn't want us to seem like a rude forum and leave this unanswered but it's kind of like asking for a really nice and popular New York City restaurant that isn't crowded on theatre night and is cheap!

The net has tons of resources, or if you post a location you are going to maybe someone will PM you.

Regards

http://www.adirondacks.com/hiking.html
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowen View Post
A friend and I would like to spend a night or two in a primitive camp in the Northern part of the park, like High Peaks or north.

Neither of us is in terrific shape so we'd like to keep the hike in relatively easy and less than 2 miles one way. We'd camp a night or two then hike out. We prefer a place near a lake or pond. And something that isn't swamped with people ie Fish Creek.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
Hey didn't want us to seem like a rude forum and leave this unanswered but it's kind of like asking for a really nice and popular New York City restaurant that isn't crowded on theatre night and is cheap!

The net has tons of resources, or if you post a location you are going to maybe someone will PM you.

Regards

http://www.adirondacks.com/hiking.html
Yeah sort of a Yogi-ism.

"It's a real secluded and remote place which is why everyone goes there".

Best thing I could think of would be the back side of Middle Lake in Hope. It's a couple of miles in, doesn't get a huge amount of traffic and is on a lake.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
fvrwld

Are you going midweek or on a weekend? Midweek, you can pretty much have your pick. Weekends, its going to be tough to find a waterside campsite that is 2 or less miles in that is unoccupied.

Copperas Pond and Copper Kiln Pond near Wilmington are both short hikes; each has a lean-to. Several of the ponds in the St. Regis Canoe areas have trails and can be reached by foot. The lean-to's on Taylor Pond can be reached by foot. The campground is closed but I'm sure it is OK to still use the lean-to's. I think there are also campsites on Taylor Pond.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
rollinslover64

There is a campsite on the shore of Floodwood Pond that can be reached by taking the trail at the end of Rollins Pond Campground.The walk is level and about a mile or so from the end of the campground,plenty far enough to be removed from the noise.Every time I have gone in there nobody was using it.Nice little spot!
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
bbowen
Moose Photographer

Just doing a one nighter Saturday to Sunday. We've got a guy who's never been camping where his car wasn't ten feet from him. So we have to take it easy but at the same time the other guy and I like it a bit more wild.

I'll check those suggestions. Thanks.
bbowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camp, hike, primitive