Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #41
Bkgphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
As a young kid I had a lot of fun hiking, camping, fishing, swimming, skiing, snowshoeing & exploring in the Pharaoh region. Still do at 42.
We ended up parking at Crane Pond parking area and hiking in past Crane Pond and Gilden Marsh. Mosquitos and deer flies were pretty bad but with head nets they were bearable. The heat sucked but it cooled down enough at night. We ended up hiking about 6 slow miles in and tent camping on the North side of Pharaoh Lake. Some minor blowdowns and flooded areas but nothing crazy. It was an absolutely beautiful spot to camp out. Amazingly there were zero bugs once camp was set up. Site was on the small side, barely enough for my Nemo Losi tent and not very level but well worth it. Site was spotless, someone had even left a small pile of firewood. We tied our Ursack bear bag 200 yards or so away and had no animal issues. My son enjoyed playing in the lake which was crystal clear. I couldn't believe how clear it was. Stars came out at night and you could see their reflection in the lake. Heard some loons which my son took for a ghost in the middle of the night, lots of bull frogs, and some Coyotes. We only saw about 4 other people over the 2 days we were there. 2 of which were headed back to their car saying the bugs were too bad around the lake. My experience was that the bugs were way worse in the woods. We explored around Pharoah lake and hiked out the next day. All in all we did about 15 miles. Pretty good for his first trip. We will definitely come back in cooler weather.

Last edited by Bkgphoto; 07-06-2019 at 04:43 PM..
Bkgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #42
Justin
Moving along

Awesome!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #43
TrailBlaser

I just got back from 4 days in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness. I went in from the southern approach and, at Justin's suggestion, visited Crab (Little Crab) Pond. Very intimate and secluded. As Justin has said, the site is small with room for one tent (I had no problem since I hammock camp). The trail in was fine except for multiple blowdowns at the first wet area that made crossing it somewhat difficult. I found the main problem with the site is access to good water. There's a lot of stuff floating in the pond and there's at least one resident beaver. I ended up walking back a little ways on the trail to a stream with clean water. I then went on to Pharaoh (east shore) trail and camped at the designated site between leantos 1 and 2. Although just off the trail, is a great site, right on the water, which made swimming and launching my pack raft easy. The only negative about camping there was the noisy, inconsiderate people camped at leanto #5; their constant calling out to each other and loud talking almost got me to move, but then I figured you have to expect this when camping at a popular spot in mid-summer. I was going to head to Whortleberry Pond for a couple of nights, but the weather turned for the worse and I couldn't locate the path to it. In both locations, the bugs were not bad. Surprisingly, I had no problem with mosquitoes or deer flies at Crab; only a problem with mosquitoes at Pharaoh in the evening when the wind died down. I never used the headnet and bug jacket that I brought; the Permethrin-treated clothing and a little repellent would do the trick.